XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

DMC Freeride wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
DMC Freeride wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
DMC Freeride wrote:
If your future consists of nothing but war then the future sucks...

My future consists of peace.. And all nations and religions getting along.. A cleaned up environment... and happiness....
Saying my future sucks because wars will happen and saying my future sucks because I want war is two different things. I want what you want, but it's not practical, the inevitable, is war.
I'm still holding out for peace...
And I think it's going to happen someday..
As am I, but if it doesn't work out, my life won't suck.
dude... We are at war and it sucks... maybe not for you but it sucks for our country... on so many levels...

I really hope your life doesnt suck... But living with blinders on while people die every damn day sucks in my opinion...
I think about the boys over there and my friends each and every day. I hope they can get home soon and get home safe. We've had interesting debates and at times we disagree.

I don't live with blinders on. I merely acknowledge that war has made what the World is today and it will continue to change the world in the future. I'm here supporting the troops no matter what the conflict and I also enjoy engaging in the benefits, problems, lies, etc about any way.

However, just because I engage in debate about the war doesn't make my life suck. I'm not doom and gloom, I accept what's going on around me and try to make myself as knowledgable as possible.

Want to see people with blinders on....come to my school.
MarieM
Post Office

Post by MarieM »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
DMC Freeride wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
DMC Freeride wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Saying my future sucks because wars will happen and saying my future sucks because I want war is two different things. I want what you want, but it's not practical, the inevitable, is war.
I'm still holding out for peace...
And I think it's going to happen someday..
As am I, but if it doesn't work out, my life won't suck.
dude... We are at war and it sucks... maybe not for you but it sucks for our country... on so many levels...

I really hope your life doesnt suck... But living with blinders on while people die every damn day sucks in my opinion...
I think about the boys over there and my friends each and every day. I hope they can get home soon and get home safe. We've had interesting debates and at times we disagree.

I don't live with blinders on. I merely acknowledge that war has made what the World is today and it will continue to change the world in the future. I'm here supporting the troops no matter what the conflict and I also enjoy engaging in the benefits, problems, lies, etc about any way.

However, just because I engage in debate about the war doesn't make my life suck. I'm not doom and gloom, I accept what's going on around me and try to make myself as knowledgable as possible.

Want to see people with blinders on....come to my school.
Blinders on? I tried that...here's one who didn't come home safe.

Hey Big K - forget the ballpeen...I'm beyond that now...

I can't argue the merits of this war on the facts...I'm too close to it...

I refused to read this last night...read it today...this kid is from my town...until his fifth grade year, he went to the same Catholic school as my kids...I really hate Rumsfeld...

PELHAM -- Honor, humor and huge hugs.

Those were just three of the qualities Spc. Daniel Gionet carried with him and shared readily with others throughout his life, according to family and friends.

Gionet, a 23-year-old Lowell native, a 2001 graduate of Pelham High School and a soldier, died over the weekend in Taji, a rural area on the outskirts of Baghdad, Iraq, when an improvised explosive device blew up near his tank, according to his family. He was a medic with the Army's 4th Infantry division.

After joining the Army in 2001, he re-enlisted when his hitch was up in May 2004.

"He was my angel," said his mother, Denise, yesterday.

Family, neighbors and friends were beginning to gather at the house she shares with her parents on Gumpus Hill Road. On Sunday night, the Army sent a soldier to her door to break the news that her oldest boy had died serving his country.

Daniel's grandparents, Ernest and Theresa Trepanier, kept asking the soldier, "Are you sure? Are you sure it's him?"

Yes, he said, we are sure.

Last Nov. 26, Daniel got married. "Before he went back over, just in case ... something happened to him," said his grandmother, who remembers Daniel's "great hugs."

"He'd just bundle you up in his arms."

He couldn't have been more sure of his choice of a wife, Katrina. How much did he love her?

This is the message on his cell phone: "If this is Katrina, you are the love of my life."

He left a little space for everyone else.

"If it's not Katrina, you know who you called. Leave a message."

They met on a blind date, and "he fell in love right away," said Debbie Madigan, Daniel's godmother.

Katrina is majoring in mathematics at State University College at Oswego in New York. She was accepted to transfer to UMass Lowell in the fall.

A year ago, when Daniel proposed to Katrina, he rented a carriage and they rode around Boston. He popped the question, then the freshly engaged couple went to see a performance of Phantom of the Opera.

He had their whole life planned out, said his family. They married, he would finish his duty in Iraq. Katrina would finish school. She would work while he went to school. They'd buy a home and have children.

In addition to his mother and grandparents, Gionet leaves behind his father, Daniel, who lives in Lowell, a brother, Darren, 20, and a sister, Alycia, 18.

At Pelham High School, Daniel wrestled, and played football and baseball. He was presented the school's sportsmanship award.

He loved his Volkswagen Jetta but planned to buy his wife a funkier-looking car.

"When I get out, she gets a Cooper," he would say.

He loved to fish. A large photograph in the family room shows a beaming Gionet holding up a huge fish, caught in Maine. Up in the corner of the room, just above a box of tissues on the couch, hangs a photograph of Daniel taken just after basic training, looking every inch the tough soldier.

His grandfather was in the Air Force in Korea, his father a Marine.

"It's the kind of thing you hear about, you see on TV," said Daniel's grandfather. '"But you just never think it'll happen to your family."

On Saturday, Daniel called home to Pelham from Iraq for the last time. He told his grandmother everything was fine. She said a care package was on the way. It had some of those healthy fruit bars he liked. (One of the few things he hated in life was the Army's MRE's, or "meals ready to eat.") And some beef jerky. They didn't tell him about the tollhouse cookies. They wanted at least that part of the package to be a surprise. His niece made a huge tollhouse cookie in the shape of a heart.

He told his family not to worry about him. He was safe. The Army had cut his patrol time from 36-hour shifts to 12-hour stretches. He was "very pleased" with that, said his mother.

"I'm OK, Memere," he told his grandmother.

"I'm safe, Mom," he told Denise Gionet. "I'm in a tank where nothing can penetrate."

Gionet was due to return home next month for a 15-day leave.

Daniel attended St. Jeanne D'Arc School in Lowell until the fifth grade, then moved to Pelham with his mother when his parents divorced.

But he never lost touch with Ashley, the girl he'd known since he grew up on Lisa Lane in Lowell. She was a year younger and lived a street away. She remembers yelling out her bedroom window to him while he waited at the bus stop. The two were like brother and sister, best friends.

She's Ashley Gelinas, married to Gregg Gelinas since Nov. 2, 2004.

Back in Lowell, she was Ashley Treadlow.

"People always thought we'd be the ones to get married," she says of Daniel. "We were so close."

Daniel served as best man at Gregg and Ashley's wedding.

"I met him seven-and-a-half, eight years ago," said Gregg. "Just a great guy. We spent time together fixing up cars, goofing around. Being crazy people."

Gregg told Daniel he was going to propose to Ashley on a specific day. Daniel promised he would keep the secret.

The day before, at Old Orchard Beach, she cornered Daniel. She told him how much she loved Gregg.

"They talked for hours over by the lifeguard stand," said Gregg. "And Danny never let on."

When Daniel debated re-enlisting in the Army, Ashley didn't discourage him.

"I supported him 100 percent in whatever he wanted to do," said Ashley, who, like her husband is a firefighter in Auburn, N.H.

"He died doing what he loved," she added.

Daniel talked about being a firefighter or paramedic when he left the service, she said.

Gionet figured the Army would pay for college later. He joined before Sept. 11, 2001, and trained at Fort Drum in upstate New York, deploying to Afghanistan. He served there, based at Kandahar Air Field, cooking for troops.

He re-enlisted after his original duty ended in May 2004, to become a medic.

"I can't just be a cook," he told Gregg Gelinas. "I need to help people."

He headed for Fort Sam Houston in Texas for five months training, then was based out of Fort Hood, where he joined the 4th Infantry and shipped to Iraq.

His grandmother asked him once why he decided to sign up for the Army.

"Memere, somebody's gotta do it. And I'm the guy for it," she remembers him saying.

"He was just starting his life," said Madigan, his godmother. "He was so happy and had found his love."

In April 2002, Denise Gionet wrote a poem called "My First Born Son." it is 11 stanzas long. This is the sixth stanza.

But oh, how I miss my first-born son

But until this war of terrorism is done

I will loan my boy to my country, my land

And pray God will hold him in the palm of His hand.

David Perry's e-mail address is dperry@lowellsun.com.

DANIEL GIONET

BORN: Lowell, Jan. 2, 1983

MILITARY: Medic, Army 4th Infantry

FAMILY: Wife, Katrina, a college student in New York. Married Nov. 26, 2005. Mother, Denise Gionet, Pelham. Father, Daniel Gionet, Lowell. Brother, Darren, 20. Sister, Alycia, 18. Grandparents, Ernest and Theresa Trepanier, Pelham

EDUCATION: 2001 graduate, Pelham High School. On wrestling, baseball and football teams. Winner, sportsmanship award.

IRAQ WAR CASUALTIES

U.S. FATALITIES: 2,478

TOTAL U.S. CASUALTIES: 17,869

SERIOUS CASUALTIES: 8,386

MASS. FATALITIES: 37
yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

DMC is right - war sucks on all levels.

Which is why I will blow any AQ a-hole (oranyone else for that matter) into burning chunks clear across the county line if it comes to that to prevent it from happening here.
Thanks for the mammaries! (.)(.)
MarieM
Post Office

Post by MarieM »

yeti wrote:DMC is right - war sucks on all levels.

Which is why I will blow any AQ a-hole (oranyone else for that matter) into burning chunks clear across the county line if it comes to that to prevent it from happening here.
When I read that, all I could think of...and pardon me if it's been over-used or over-done or over-quoted...

"Let's roll!"
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

Its really crazy, the further I get from when I left active duty, the less apealing getting called back up is. I remember a few weeks after i was out laying in bed in colorado, watching the local news show video of my unit loading Bradelys and tanks on the train to load the boats... I was so pissed that my friends were going to war and i was not going to be there to support them. (even though i was ripping it up everyday at A-basin)

sh*t sure changes after a few years-its a big transition leaving the military and getting into the grove of normal life- but your constantly reminded of whats going on. Friends are Killed by IEDs, your college roomate gets plastered with shrapnel as his vehicle is blown to sh*t in fallujah. People you worked for and served with are prosecuted for war crimes.

sh*t. This war is going to end some day. 7 months left on the hook.

Regardless of who was responsible for those innocent deaths, those marines will have nightmares for the rest of there lives.
MarieM
Post Office

Post by MarieM »

Pedro wrote:sh*t. This war is going to end some day. 7 months left on the hook.

Regardless of who was responsible for those innocent deaths, those marines will have nightmares for the rest of there lives.
Thank you for that perspective.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

So sorry to hear about your friend Marie. From the description in the article he sounds like a real nice guy. May he RIP.
BrockVond
Powderhound

Post by BrockVond »

BigKahuna13 wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
2knees wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:His point always leads to Impeaching GWB or some of the sort. My bad, thought for once I'd run with what he typed not what I knew he meant :wink:

IMHO, the whole world has been built by war. I don't see peace in anyones future.
Thanks for the insight. It really wasn’t necessary however. I was just trying to give you a bit of insight into what my general feeling is on these subjects since you erroneously assumed it was impeachment.
I understand that. So if Marines murder innocent people and you think the leaders who put them there should be held accountable. What and who should be punished and how?
Simply because the political leadership created an environment where things like this can happen.
No. These marines are responsible for their actions. If they did what has been alleged, they are not marines, and perhaps never were.
BrockVond
Powderhound

Re: haditha

Post by BrockVond »

2knees wrote:this is what happens when misguided american policy is put into play. It is our My Lai. it is our burden. f*** you idiots who think this is a war worth fighting. f*** you assholes who blame the marines who may or may not have pulled the trigger. f*** you to all you so called americans who can not see the whole picture. Our so called leaders sent children into a no win situation .
Whole picture?

What big picture am i supposed to see? Enrich me.

If these allegations are true, I blame those marines who committed these atrocities for their crimes. Nobody else.
BrockVond
Powderhound

Post by BrockVond »

yeti wrote:No.... This is what happens when you let your teenage sons f*** with the Corps and then hide them in your basements and outhouses.
You're an idiot.
BrockVond
Powderhound

Post by BrockVond »

2knees wrote:I am pissed at people, such as my friend last night, who think these marines should be punished heavily. I think any and all punishment should be reserved for the disease. Not the symptom.
Except that we as human beings make moral choices. These marines, if the allegations are true, made an iniquitous moral choice for which they should surely pay the appropriate price.
BrockVond
Powderhound

Post by BrockVond »

yeti wrote:Should heads roll? Hell yes. No reason to kill two year olds regardless of who you thought was guilty. Payback is one thing, but that goes way beyond that. However the enemy sure as hell didn't beam in like Mr Spock - they walked in and those townies let them.

Not saying that it's right

That's exactly what you are doing. You should be ashamed of yourself.
BrockVond
Powderhound

Post by BrockVond »

Pedro wrote:
Regardless? Well la-de-f*cking-da. Maybe you can sing them a lullaby.
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

BrockVond wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
2knees wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:His point always leads to Impeaching GWB or some of the sort. My bad, thought for once I'd run with what he typed not what I knew he meant :wink:

IMHO, the whole world has been built by war. I don't see peace in anyones future.
Thanks for the insight. It really wasn’t necessary however. I was just trying to give you a bit of insight into what my general feeling is on these subjects since you erroneously assumed it was impeachment.
I understand that. So if Marines murder innocent people and you think the leaders who put them there should be held accountable. What and who should be punished and how?
Simply because the political leadership created an environment where things like this can happen.
No. These marines are responsible for their actions. If they did what has been alleged, they are not marines, and perhaps never were.
No argument here. But Bush and Co. deserve a good measure of blame for a whole host of stupid decisions that have made incidents like this, or the more mundane accidental shooting of civilians that were thought to be insurgents, just about inevitable.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

2knees
Poster Child Poster

Re: haditha

Post by 2knees »

BrockVond wrote:
2knees wrote:this is what happens when misguided american policy is put into play. It is our My Lai. it is our burden. f*** you idiots who think this is a war worth fighting. f*** you assholes who blame the marines who may or may not have pulled the trigger. f*** you to all you so called americans who can not see the whole picture. Our so called leaders sent children into a no win situation .
Whole picture?

What big picture am i supposed to see? Enrich me.

If these allegations are true, I blame those marines who committed these atrocities for their crimes. Nobody else.
I sincerely doubt I am capable of enriching you. With my limited intellect, I can attempt to explain my train of thought however. For me, unlike you, I am not so direct in my placement of blame solely at the marines. I can not get past the fact that it was our leaders who put these people into such a horrible situation that things like this could happen. The trigger was pulled when we started this misguided conflict. This is a byproduct of that decision. It's horrible and the people involved apparently made horrible decisions, but how we would react under the stress these marines deal with on a daily basis is something I am not qualified to answer nor do I feel like passing judgement on them. I do however blame the people that created this. That is my "big picture"