Mark India

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
yeti
Powderhound

Mark India

Post by yeti »

I just (well 5 hours ago) experienced the singularly most intense experience of my life.

As soon as it hits CNN, I will relate my story.

But until then, all I can say is, "Wow" with a healthy dose of "Holy f-ing s-!" and "Bring it on you goddamn impotent Korean dwarf!"
Thanks for the mammaries! (.)(.)
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Re: Mark India

Post by tyrolean_skier »

yeti wrote:I just (well 5 hours ago) experienced the singularly most intense experience of my life.

As soon as it hits CNN, I will relate my story.

But until then, all I can say is, "Wow" with a healthy dose of "Holy f-ing s-!" and "Bring it on you goddamn impotent Korean dwarf!"
Are you referring to this:

"Officials said the Pentagon could try to use its missile defense system to shoot down the North Korean missile. The military has nine interceptor missiles based in Alaska and two in California. (Watch how the Pentagon could respond to a North Korean missile launch -- 2:02"

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/0 ... index.html
yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

Nope, I am referring to this:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/23/navy.ustest/index.html

This was the most exciting test to date. This was a 100% real world test: with the exception of the captain, nobody on the ship knew that they were even going to be involved in a test - the shot caught them all completely by suprise - and they had to effect the intercept while being "attacked" by target drones.

Watching the realtime video was quite a show (we have never had that before in our control room)... but most of all was the noise. I thought jets were loud.... a screaming EA-6B - the loudest in the fleet - is a mere whisper in comparison... and we were inside!
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Great news about the test going so well. Congratulations for your contributions to the project.
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

Good job. Congratulations!

I'm waiting for the article that says "Head software engineer yeti had this say...." :)
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

Ha! For two weeks we just sat there and watched everything work as designed while discussing such topics as "what if the plane crashes on the way home" and "that old lady between the emergency escape and my seat is going down" and "what if it is a former college wrestler not an old lady" and "do menstrating women run slower thus helping one out run them after they attract a bear while you are out camping" and "why the Air Force sucks" and "how come Ken did not bang that urban cougar he was dancing with at the Kauai Sherton's salsa night? Was He Scared?"

Note that in one of those converstations we were concerned about outrunning the woman, not the bear.

Seems like a waste but it is all part of risk reduction. Should these systems go down we have a $50 million fireworks display that doesn't even end with a bang... but still it is boring as all get out with the exception of 5 very exciting minutes.

But when the roar of that Hera missile finally comes blasting through ops - whew!