Ann Coulter.... Deadhead...

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
2knees
Poster Child Poster

Post by 2knees »

i used to always think the dead was the greatest live band ever. But, i recently took my daughter to a Wiggles concert. they busted out a fruit salad>big red car>dorothy the dinosaur jam that just left me speechless. they have my vote from here on out.
St. Jerry
Powderhound

Post by St. Jerry »

yeti wrote:Well, listen to the studio version of Terrapin Station... that is well written and pretty tight. I am sure that someone has captured a decent live version of that tune, but most of the live versions I have heard are quite frankly fscked.

Seriously, never mind the fact that none of the instruments are even in tune (or so it sounds)... sometimes it sounds like no one on stage is even playing the same song. WTF?

"Duude... 'Space' is the ultimate experience, man" well I checked out a show, was thouroughly disgusted by the smell of some of the people around me all the while eagerly awaiting this transcendental experience of drums... Well JHC my three year old has kicked out better than that on the coffee table while throwing a tantrum.

Look, people can live their lives however they want. Wear tie dye, shower not often, exist in constant serious need of a shave and hair cut, and preach about the environment all the while belching fumes into the air from an old van simply to follow a band of old men - matters not a bit to me. But do not even attempt to tell me that band sounds even remotely good live.

A long time ago I used to play guitar and the cello. I can even still read sheet music, however I tried to play a few months back and didn't do very well (I haven't played cello since I was 17 and guiter since my 20's). However the fact that I still retain a vestige of musical training perhaps influences my prejudice against this band's live recordings.
I think that the point of the article was to point out that not all Deadheads "are in need of a shave or shower" or subscribe to "liberal values". This deadhead (myself) happens to works on Wall Street and votes Republican approx. half the time.
Ron Paul 2012
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Best live band I've ever heard is DMB or Phish, both in their own ways.

Tim Reynolds playing with Dave Matthews and Trey was awesome too
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

yeti wrote:Well, listen to the studio version of Terrapin Station... that is well written and pretty tight. I am sure that someone has captured a decent live version of that tune, but most of the live versions I have heard are quite frankly fscked.

Seriously, never mind the fact that none of the instruments are even in tune (or so it sounds)... sometimes it sounds like no one on stage is even playing the same song. WTF?

"Duude... 'Space' is the ultimate experience, man" well I checked out a show, was thouroughly disgusted by the smell of some of the people around me all the while eagerly awaiting this transcendental experience of drums... Well JHC my three year old has kicked out better than that on the coffee table while throwing a tantrum.

Look, people can live their lives however they want. Wear tie dye, shower not often, exist in constant serious need of a shave and hair cut, and preach about the environment all the while belching fumes into the air from an old van simply to follow a band of old men - matters not a bit to me. But do not even attempt to tell me that band sounds even remotely good live.

A long time ago I used to play guitar and the cello. I can even still read sheet music, however I tried to play a few months back and didn't do very well (I haven't played cello since I was 17 and guiter since my 20's). However the fact that I still retain a vestige of musical training perhaps influences my prejudice against this band's live recordings.
Don't take this wrong way but when I think "West Virgina" and "music", cello is not the first thing that comes to mind. Washtub certainly. Banjo, maybe. But cello?? :)

-- btw I'm jealous. Would love to learn to play the cello. Listen to Yo Yo Ma play it and am constantly amazed at how beautiful it sounds.

Maybe it something to do with actually being at the concert as opposed to listening to it after the fact. Remember seeing the Rolling Stones at Shea in 1990 during the "Steel Wheels" tour and remember thinking that that was a tight, professionally done performance. Listened to a live recording of the Stones made around the same time and was shocked at the sloppy playing. Was like listening to a different group of people.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

DMC Freeride
Tree Psycho

Post by DMC Freeride »

Deadheads come from all walks of life... A diverse crowd to be sure..
<b>Shortski - Nazi douchebag..... Moderator and asswipe - if I you can't ignore an asshole like Shortski - who happens to be a moderator then this board is total sh*t...</b>
yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

The old man forced me to play an instrument. This totally hot POA name Christine Biz... Byz... Baizaryc? Bzarnc? Whatever. Some slavic name anyway played the cello. I wanted some of that so I joined up. Never did carve off a piece even though I once had the opportunity and totally blew it.

Note how my summary of cello playing experience wraps up into how I couldn't nail a chick in jr high school. As you can tell I had a real passion for the cello.

However, I do know how to play the banjo (well at one time I did anyway). The last time I sat down to really practice any instrument - I can't even remember. It had to have been before I was 30.

Strangely, I still can rip through scales pretty deftly. I suppose that if I gave it some effort it would come back soon enough.
Thanks for the mammaries! (.)(.)