Dixie Chicks

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice

Dixie Chicks - What's Your Take?

Like their music & like their politics
10%
Like their music but hate what they did 3+ years ago
10%
Don't like country, don't like the Dixie Chicks, but love the zinger they gave to GWB
30%
Don't like country, don't like the Dixie Chicks, and think they're a bunch of whiney assed bitches who shouldn't have opened their mouths about politics
25%
If Andyzee was the lead singer I might listen to them
10%
If Andyzee was the lead singer, I'd bomb the studios of the record label
15%

Total votes: 20

Bubba
Site Admin

Dixie Chicks

Post by Bubba »

The Dixie Chicks are persona non grata on many country music stations because one of them said she was embarassed that George Bush was from her home state of Texas while they were performing in Europe just prior to the Iraq invasion. They just came out with a new CD, the first since that episode, and the CD jumped immediately to #1 I think, even though they're still not getting air time on many stations.

What's your take?
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Turzman
Black Carver

Post by Turzman »

It's not that I disagree with their politics,
their tact leaves much to be desired.
Turzman on mySpace-
http://www.myspace.com/turzman
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Turzman wrote:It's not that I disagree with their politics,
This from a man with an avatar showing a woman giving the finger with both hands? :lol: :lol:
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

Hate country music. Only thing I ever heard from the DC was their weak cover of
the old Fleetwood Mac tune "Landslide". That said, I think the people who complained about what Natalie Manes said really need to get lives......
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

Turzman
Black Carver

Post by Turzman »

Bubba wrote:
This from a man with an avatar showing a woman giving the finger with both hands? :lol: :lol:
Hardly comparable.
HA!
Turzman on mySpace-
http://www.myspace.com/turzman
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Love Country. They make good music. Politics shouldn't affect anyones reason to listen to that persons music ... I just don't buy it.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Bubba wrote:
Slight difference between personal expression and Public expression. If I pay for a ticket to watch a performance, I did NOT pay for thier Politics and opinion. Shut the f*** up and sing.

Now, if they happen to be in Dallas or Houston or even any city in the US and say in an interview that they hate GW or where this country is going, fine. But, don't BS the people that PAID to hear you sing with your bull sh*t politics, especially in another country.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
GladeMasterB
Blue Chatterbox

Post by GladeMasterB »

I heard the new album is selling well which is wierd because I also heard they had to cancel shows all around the States because tickets wern't selling. Maybe they would have better luck touring in Europe. They could call it the "Bush is an idiot" tour and sell out all over the continent.
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

Dr. NO wrote:
Bubba wrote:
Slight difference between personal expression and Public expression. If I pay for a ticket to watch a performance, I did NOT pay for thier Politics and opinion. Shut the f*** up and sing.

Now, if they happen to be in Dallas or Houston or even any city in the US and say in an interview that they hate GW or where this country is going, fine. But, don't BS the people that PAID to hear you sing with your bull sh*t politics, especially in another country.
Seeing as how the comment went over very well with the crowd, I think most of those at the concert would disagree with you.

I really don't understand the "especially in another country" thing. Why is it wrong to criticize your government in front of foreigners? How do you
know that foreigners aren't right now reading Kzone and seeing some of us critize Bush far more harshly than the Dixie Chicks did?
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

MarieM
Post Office

Post by MarieM »

I don't particularly care for the Dixie Chicks' music; "Landslide" was an embarrassment, I don't like the song or the video that VH-1's currently playing...but I did like "Earl's Gotta Die."

Everybody's got a right to an opinion. They happen to have a career that gives them a platform from which to speak. But in reality, in my life, it would be very un-cool of me to discuss politics with a customer...unless I didn't care about the possibility of offending that customer and losing the business. Seems like the Dixie Chicks feel that expressing their opinion is more important than offending current or future fans. Apparently the feel they can afford to sell a few less albums.

Interesting that it wouldn't seem to work the other way. I don't think anyone would buy a record based solely on agreeing with a performer's political views.

Coincidentally, "Landslide" is on the radio as I type this. Blecch!
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

Politics and music have been intertwined forever. I don't care about the Dixie Chicks, but I give them credit for speaking their minds. If you don't like what they say and you are at their show, let them know it.

I was at a Radiohead show 2 weeks ago and one of the biggest positive reactions was when Thom Yorke sang the lyrics "bring down the government, they don't, they don't speak for us." After entitling their 2003 album "Hail to the Thief" after Bush's stolen election in 2000, his political views are obvious and make me appreciate the music more. The irony was that one of GWB's daughter was in the audience and made quite the scene when 6 agents muscled her out of there at the end of the show.
GladeMasterB
Blue Chatterbox

Post by GladeMasterB »

Dude, your still crying about 2000, get over it already. That was 6 years ago, start looking forward and maybe you and your team might win an election now and then. :lol: :roll:
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

GladeMasterB wrote:Dude, your still crying about 2000, get over it already. That was 6 years ago, start looking forward and maybe you and your team might win an election now and then. :lol: :roll:
Go crawl crawl back in your ignorant little hole and speak when your spoken to. I'm not crying about anything but the fact that this great nation has been irreparably harmed and fugging idiots like you are too stupid to even realize what is happening.
GladeMasterB
Blue Chatterbox

Post by GladeMasterB »

Not bad but I was hoping for a little more vulgar profanity that I know you are capable of. You were so flustered you wrote crawl crawl twice. Come on, dry your eyes and give it another shot but this time get real mean. :twisted:
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Cityskier wrote:Politics and music have been intertwined forever. I don't care about the Dixie Chicks, but I give them credit for speaking their minds. If you don't like what they say and you are at their show, let them know it.

I was at a Radiohead show 2 weeks ago and one of the biggest positive reactions was when Thom Yorke sang the lyrics "bring down the government, they don't, they don't speak for us." After entitling their 2003 album "Hail to the Thief" after Bush's stolen election in 2000, his political views are obvious and make me appreciate the music more. The irony was that one of GWB's daughter was in the audience and made quite the scene when 6 agents muscled her out of there at the end of the show.
There is a difference between singing a protest or anti government song and making a statement. Most of the songs would already have been out so people would know where it was coming from. Fine, the Brits loved them dumping on Bush. If it had happened in Houston or Dallas they would have been, and apparently were at one time, booed off the stage.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?