Israeli forces enter Lebanon...

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

Bubba wrote: - it's the radical Islamist idea of Israeli destruction that's the key issue.
Right on the nose Bubba, but how does the world solve the problem?

I believe Anwar al-Sadat was assassinated in 1973 for making peace with Israel at the hands of fundamentalists assassins. Nothing will happen until the majority of peaceful Muslims rise up against the radical fundamentalists and join the rest of the world in eliminating terrorists and terrorist states, until then I'm afraid to say it's so much pissing into the wind. IMHO.
Cogito, ergo sum

Sometimes it is that simple.

ImageImage
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

shortski wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: the real question is if Israel will mount a pre-emptive strike against Iran .... they have the capability.
I certainly hope they don't but if they do it will escalate in a heartbeat. Israel will most likely be facing a combined force of Iran & Syria and who knows who else. They can't win a conventional war if this happens and it would go nuclear IMHO.
Your military analysis is faulty, your knowledge of geography questionable, and you apparently have little sense of history. Other than that, you're doing fine. :lol:

Israel has won every conventional war it has fought, often on all sides, and has the capability to do so now. They would have air superiority by day 2 if not immediately on day 1 and Syria's armed forces would have to attack across either Lebanon (where the Israelis have already blown the bridges and other links) or the Golan Heights which Israel controls. Egypt and Jordan would stay out, unlike what they've done in the past, and Iran has no border with Israel so they're not a ground factor. Most of the Arab states are, today, reasonably moderate (by standards of that part of the world) and would remain vocal but neutral, probably running to the UN for help to broker a cease fire.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

Bubba wrote:
shortski wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: the real question is if Israel will mount a pre-emptive strike against Iran .... they have the capability.
I certainly hope they don't but if they do it will escalate in a heartbeat. Israel will most likely be facing a combined force of Iran & Syria and who knows who else. They can't win a conventional war if this happens and it would go nuclear IMHO.
Your military analysis is faulty, your knowledge of geography questionable, and you apparently have little sense of history. Other than that, you're doing fine. :lol:

Israel has won every conventional war it has fought, often on all sides, and has the capability to do so now. They would have air superiority by day 2 if not immediately on day 1 and Syria's armed forces would have to attack across either Lebanon (where the Israelis have already blown the bridges and other links) or the Golan Heights which Israel controls. Egypt and Jordan would stay out, unlike what they've done in the past, and Iran has no border with Israel so they're not a ground factor. Most of the Arab states are, today, reasonably moderate (by standards of that part of the world) and would remain vocal but neutral, probably running to the UN for help to broker a cease fire.
You didn't account for the fine Syrian navy...... They could stage a
Normandy style landing on the beaches of Tel Aviv......
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

BigKahuna13 wrote:
Bubba wrote:
shortski wrote:

You didn't account for the fine Syrian navy...... They could stage a
Normandy style landing on the beaches of Tel Aviv......
Did you know that the "Birthplace of the Syrian Navy" is Whitehall, Syria? :wink:

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

Bubba wrote:
shortski wrote: I certainly hope they don't but if they do it will escalate in a heartbeat. Israel will most likely be facing a combined force of Iran & Syria and who knows who else. They can't win a conventional war if this happens and it would go nuclear IMHO.

I'm aware of the history of Israel kicking the collective butts of all of the Arab nations at one time or another, doesn't seem to deter them from pulling the crap we are seeing now, does it.

I think things have changed since the last time the Arabs-Israelis danced. As you pointed out Syria on its own is pretty formidable, add to their ground forces their missile capacity, and they can cause some extensive damage. Add to the equation the possibility that Syria may have some of the biological and/or chemical weapons missing from Iraq and it's a whole new ball game.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world ... issile.htm

Also Syria and Syria agreed to allow Iran to store military equipment in Syria up to and including WMD.

Iran, Syria sign a further defense co-operation agreement

By Robin Hughes JDW Deputy Editor
London

Iran and Syria have signed a further memorandum of understanding (MoU) on defense co-operation to address what both sides described as "American and Israeli threats".

Citing diplomatic sources, Jane's reported in 2005 that Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki signed a confidential strategic accord on 14 November 2005 with his counterpart Farouq al-Shara and Syrian Prime Minister Naji al-Otari, "which includes a sensitive chapter dealing with co-operation and mutual aid during times of international sanctions, or scenarios of military confrontation with the West".

The sensitive chapter in the accord includes Syria's commitment to allow Iran to safely store weapons, sensitive equipment or even hazardous materials on Syrian soil should Iran need such help in a time of crisis, the sources said. Iranian military aid ranges from "the supply of weapons and ammunition and the training of Syrian personnel to co-operation and continuous transfer of technology and equipment in the areas of weapons of mass destruction [particularly the upgrade of Syrian missile and chemical warfare capabilities], to Iranian troops operating advanced weapon systems in Syria during a military confrontation", the sources added.
http://www.janes.com/defence/news/jdw/j ... _1_n.shtml

The link may not work, I think you have to be a register user but you can check it out see if it works.

I also understand the geographical limitation on pursuing a ground war but Iran is rumored to have access to missiles with a rang of over 4500 mile, that would put most of Israel in the target zone of these missiles. Kind of highlights why the Korean missile tests are of such importance.

Israel concerned about Iranian missile capacity PRINT FRIENDLY EMAIL STORY
AM Archive - Friday, 11 July , 2003 08:04:03
Reporter: Mark Willacy
LINDA MOTTRAM: The US believes that North Korea and Iran have been co-operating on weapons, and that's against the backdrop of concern in Israel that it is within range of Iranian missiles which are said to be based on North Korean technology.

Adding to those concerns, the United States this week detected an Iranian test launch of the Shahab-3 missile and tracked its path for 1,300 kilometres - the same as the distance between Iran's western border and Israel's largest city, Tel Aviv.

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2003/s899733.htm

I think it's a new day a dawning and I don't think anyone is ready to deal with the consequences if this action expands to include Iran and/or Syria IMHO.
Cogito, ergo sum

Sometimes it is that simple.

ImageImage
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

shortski wrote:
Adding to those concerns, the United States this week detected an Iranian test launch of the Shahab-3 missile and tracked its path for 1,300 kilometres - the same as the distance between Iran's western border and Israel's largest city, Tel Aviv.

Is that jet engines I hear?
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Well this is some good news ... this will keep the incident to a minimum because I doubt Syria/Iran would pre-emptively strike Israel.
Regev said Israel will not initiate conflict with Syria or Iran -- the financial and military backers of Hezbollah -- unless they attack Israel.

"I can tell you unequivocally we have no intention of widening this conflict ... The idea is to come out of this conflict ... with the disarmament of Hezbollah," he said.
In other news ... Hezbollah is firing missles into Nazareth ... things are getting worse ... hopefully Israeli ground troops within Lebanon now can push the Hezbollah back.
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Well this is some good news ... this will keep the incident to a minimum because I doubt Syria/Iran would pre-emptively strike Israel.
Regev said Israel will not initiate conflict with Syria or Iran -- the financial and military backers of Hezbollah -- unless they attack Israel.

"I can tell you unequivocally we have no intention of widening this conflict ... The idea is to come out of this conflict ... with the disarmament of Hezbollah," he said.
In other news ... Hezbollah is firing missles into Nazareth ... things are getting worse ... hopefully Israeli ground troops within Lebanon now can push the Hezbollah back.
I didn't know they were still around...

Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Iran and Syria will allow Hezbollah to get its ass kicked, while simultaneously raging at Israel, threatening Israel verbally, but doing nothing that would give Israel reason to clobber them as well. By raging verbally but doing nothing militarily they can claim that any cease fire resulted from their threats, increase their influence in the Arab streets, continue to claim victim status for Israel's Arab neighbors, yet take no risk themselves. Meanwhile, other more moderate Arab states, almost all of whom are Sunni, now see Iran's crazy Shiite and radical Islamist leadership as more of a threat than in the past and move more toward starting to build their own economies in order to thwart increased radical forces within their own countries. You see this in the Emirates mostly but elsewhere as well. Unfortunately, nothing moves quickly and it will take a couple of generations before that part of the world calms down, hopefully for good. It will also take moderate Islam religious leadership to begin speaking publicly, even if there's risk to them by doing so.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

shortski wrote: Israel concerned about Iranian missile capacity PRINT FRIENDLY EMAIL STORY
AM Archive - Friday, 11 July , 2003 08:04:03
Reporter: Mark Willacy
LINDA MOTTRAM: The US believes that North Korea and Iran have been co-operating on weapons, and that's against the backdrop of concern in Israel that it is within range of Iranian missiles which are said to be based on North Korean technology.

I think it's a new day a dawning and I don't think anyone is ready to deal with the consequences if this action expands to include Iran and/or Syria IMHO.

Assuming we're talking about conventional warheads, Iran's launching of anything at Israel is a losing proposition. Though great at scaring the sh*t out of the populace the weapons are militarily useless. Hezbollah's already scaring the Israeli populace so why would Iran launch against Israel and risk retaliatory airstrikes that would do far more damage to Iran that they could hope to inflict on Israel?
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

The ultimate goal is to get the Lebanese army to deploy with international support.

Toward that end, senior administration officials said options considered by the United Nations include:

1 creating a buffer zone in southern Lebanon along the border with Israel;

2 expanding the UNIFIL peacekeeping force that was created in 1978;

3 dispatching an international team to monitor the border;

4 imposing an international arms embargo for Lebanon, except for the Lebanese army, which is seen as too weak to deploy on its own, and

5 rallying international support for Lebanon, such as a donors' conference, to rebuild the country.
I think deploying the military of Lebanon with international support is a good idea. Lebanon's military must disarm/dismantle Hezbollah as part of the UN resolution. Lebanon's military can't go it alone, so support would push them a long way.

#1 is a waste since Iran is supplying Lebanon with long(er) range missles.
#2 is also a waste. UNIFIL in Lebanon fails when it comes to keeping 'peace'.
#3 Might be good, but more or less, it's another UNIFIL that will ultimately fail.
#4 A good start, but not like Iran and Syria (or Hezbollah for that matter) will play by the rules.
#5 Don't bother, until the threat of Hezbollah is minimized (or removed). Otherwise, we're rebuilding the infastructure just so we can destroy it yet again when Hezbollah gets out of hand.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:...#5 Don't bother, until the threat of Hezbollah is minimized (or removed). Otherwise, we're rebuilding the infastructure just so we can destroy it yet again when Hezbollah gets out of hand.
Who's "we" Kemosabe?

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Bubba wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:...#5 Don't bother, until the threat of Hezbollah is minimized (or removed). Otherwise, we're rebuilding the infastructure just so we can destroy it yet again when Hezbollah gets out of hand.
Who's "we" Kemosabe?
5 rallying international support for Lebanon, such as a donors' conference, to rebuild the country.
I'd imagine "we" are part of international support. "We" being the United States.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Bubba wrote:
Who's "we" Kemosabe?
I'd imagine "we" are part of international support. "We" being the United States.
...just so we can destroy it yet again when Hezbollah gets out of hand.
And this "we"?

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Bubba wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Bubba wrote:
Who's "we" Kemosabe?
...just so we can destroy it yet again when Hezbollah gets out of hand.
And this "we"?
opps ... I was speaking on behalf of Israel and the IDF ... didn't you get the memo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo7iX9hABhI