COLD ON WARMING

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Cityskier wrote:You're a joke XJ. The only reason I care is that you get a vote too.
I'll give you this one. We don't need to re-hash your 'Rove Indicted' source again, do we? I'm a moron for citing a poor source, what's that make you for posting your laughable source?
I posted a source that was incorrect, yes. But that certainly has nothing to do with today's discussion. Let's keep it on topic, ok? Or are you afraid to engage in some real debate because you know you are unarmed? See, I have no problem admitting I was wrong. I never used anyone as a scapegoat for my post. But the inherent difference is I was posting what I thought might be imminent news. I wasn't using it to back up any opinions I had of Rove and the disservice he has done for our country.

I know you're just lashing out at me bacause you are embarassed. I can empathize. You must be saying to yourself, "Not again!". The thing is my post, regardless of what happened is a separate event and will do noting to mitigate your ignorance.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Cityskier wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Cityskier wrote:You're a joke XJ. The only reason I care is that you get a vote too.
I'll give you this one. We don't need to re-hash your 'Rove Indicted' source again, do we? I'm a moron for citing a poor source, what's that make you for posting your laughable source?
I posted a source that was incorrect, yes. But that certainly has nothing to do with today's discussion. Let's keep it on topic, ok? Or are you afraid to engage in some real debate because you know you are unarmed? See, I have no problem admitting I was wrong. I never used anyone as a scapegoat for my post. But the inherent difference is I was posting what I thought might be imminent news. I wasn't using it to back up any opinions I had of Rove and the disservice he has done for our country.

I know you're just lashing out at me bacause you are embarassed. I can empathize. You must be saying to yourself, "Not again!". The thing is my post, regardless of what happened is a separate event and will do noting to mitigate your ignorance.
:lol: Embarrassed? If you've learned anything in the 4+ years I've been a member within our various forums, embarrassed is not a characteristic I possess to any degree. Although I appreciate your concern.

This is the primary source I used to come up with the opinion I have on this subject.
Climate of Fear
Global-warming alarmists intimidate dissenting scientists into silence.

BY RICHARD LINDZEN
Wednesday, April 12, 2006 12:01 a.m. EDT

There have been repeated claims that this past year's hurricane activity was another sign of human-induced climate change. Everything from the heat wave in Paris to heavy snows in Buffalo has been blamed on people burning gasoline to fuel their cars, and coal and natural gas to heat, cool and electrify their homes. Yet how can a barely discernible, one-degree increase in the recorded global mean temperature since the late 19th century possibly gain public acceptance as the source of recent weather catastrophes? And how can it translate into unlikely claims about future catastrophes?

The answer has much to do with misunderstanding the science of climate, plus a willingness to debase climate science into a triangle of alarmism. Ambiguous scientific statements about climate are hyped by those with a vested interest in alarm, thus raising the political stakes for policy makers who provide funds for more science research to feed more alarm to increase the political stakes. After all, who puts money into science--whether for AIDS, or space, or climate--where there is nothing really alarming? Indeed, the success of climate alarmism can be counted in the increased federal spending on climate research from a few hundred million dollars pre-1990 to $1.7 billion today. It can also be seen in heightened spending on solar, wind, hydrogen, ethanol and clean coal technologies, as well as on other energy-investment decisions.

But there is a more sinister side to this feeding frenzy. Scientists who dissent from the alarmism have seen their grant funds disappear, their work derided, and themselves libeled as industry stooges, scientific hacks or worse. Consequently, lies about climate change gain credence even when they fly in the face of the science that supposedly is their basis.

To understand the misconceptions perpetuated about climate science and the climate of intimidation, one needs to grasp some of the complex underlying scientific issues. First, let's start where there is agreement. The public, press and policy makers have been repeatedly told that three claims have widespread scientific support: Global temperature has risen about a degree since the late 19th century; levels of CO2 in the atmosphere have increased by about 30% over the same period; and CO2 should contribute to future warming. These claims are true. However, what the public fails to grasp is that the claims neither constitute support for alarm nor establish man's responsibility for the small amount of warming that has occurred. In fact, those who make the most outlandish claims of alarm are actually demonstrating skepticism of the very science they say supports them. It isn't just that the alarmists are trumpeting model results that we know must be wrong. It is that they are trumpeting catastrophes that couldn't happen even if the models were right as justifying costly policies to try to prevent global warming.

If the models are correct, global warming reduces the temperature differences between the poles and the equator. When you have less difference in temperature, you have less excitation of extratropical storms, not more. And, in fact, model runs support this conclusion. Alarmists have drawn some support for increased claims of tropical storminess from a casual claim by Sir John Houghton of the U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) that a warmer world would have more evaporation, with latent heat providing more energy for disturbances. The problem with this is that the ability of evaporation to drive tropical storms relies not only on temperature but humidity as well, and calls for drier, less humid air. Claims for starkly higher temperatures are based upon there being more humidity, not less--hardly a case for more storminess with global warming.

So how is it that we don't have more scientists speaking up about this junk science? It's my belief that many scientists have been cowed not merely by money but by fear. An example: Earlier this year, Texas Rep. Joe Barton issued letters to paleoclimatologist Michael Mann and some of his co-authors seeking the details behind a taxpayer-funded analysis that claimed the 1990s were likely the warmest decade and 1998 the warmest year in the last millennium. Mr. Barton's concern was based on the fact that the IPCC had singled out Mr. Mann's work as a means to encourage policy makers to take action. And they did so before his work could be replicated and tested--a task made difficult because Mr. Mann, a key IPCC author, had refused to release the details for analysis. The scientific community's defense of Mr. Mann was, nonetheless, immediate and harsh. The president of the National Academy of Sciences--as well as the American Meteorological Society and the American Geophysical Union--formally protested, saying that Rep. Barton's singling out of a scientist's work smacked of intimidation.

All of which starkly contrasts to the silence of the scientific community when anti-alarmists were in the crosshairs of then-Sen. Al Gore. In 1992, he ran two congressional hearings during which he tried to bully dissenting scientists, including myself, into changing our views and supporting his climate alarmism. Nor did the scientific community complain when Mr. Gore, as vice president, tried to enlist Ted Koppel in a witch hunt to discredit anti-alarmist scientists--a request that Mr. Koppel deemed publicly inappropriate. And they were mum when subsequent articles and books by Ross Gelbspan libelously labeled scientists who differed with Mr. Gore as stooges of the fossil-fuel industry.

Sadly, this is only the tip of a non-melting iceberg. In Europe, Henk Tennekes was dismissed as research director of the Royal Dutch Meteorological Society after questioning the scientific underpinnings of global warming. Aksel Winn-Nielsen, former director of the U.N.'s World Meteorological Organization, was tarred by Bert Bolin, first head of the IPCC, as a tool of the coal industry for questioning climate alarmism. Respected Italian professors Alfonso Sutera and Antonio Speranza disappeared from the debate in 1991, apparently losing climate-research funding for raising questions.

And then there are the peculiar standards in place in scientific journals for articles submitted by those who raise questions about accepted climate wisdom. At Science and Nature, such papers are commonly refused without review as being without interest. However, even when such papers are published, standards shift. When I, with some colleagues at NASA, attempted to determine how clouds behave under varying temperatures, we discovered what we called an "Iris Effect," wherein upper-level cirrus clouds contracted with increased temperature, providing a very strong negative climate feedback sufficient to greatly reduce the response to increasing CO2. Normally, criticism of papers appears in the form of letters to the journal to which the original authors can respond immediately. However, in this case (and others) a flurry of hastily prepared papers appeared, claiming errors in our study, with our responses delayed months and longer. The delay permitted our paper to be commonly referred to as "discredited." Indeed, there is a strange reluctance to actually find out how climate really behaves. In 2003, when the draft of the U.S. National Climate Plan urged a high priority for improving our knowledge of climate sensitivity, the National Research Council instead urged support to look at the impacts of the warming--not whether it would actually happen.

Alarm rather than genuine scientific curiosity, it appears, is essential to maintaining funding. And only the most senior scientists today can stand up against this alarmist gale, and defy the iron triangle of climate scientists, advocates and policymakers.

Mr. Lindzen is Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Atmospheric Science at MIT.
http://www.cato.org/pubs/regulation/reg15n2g.html

http://www-eaps.mit.edu/faculty/lindzen.htm

For the most part, I maintain that this subject is wishy-washy at both and neither scientist(s) are 100% correct. We don't have enough data to conclude humans are the direct cause of warming IMHO.
shortski
Site Admin

Re: COLD ON WARMING

Post by shortski »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Interesting. Deaths from global warming will double to 300,000 in 25 years? This stat alone is proof that Gore's new movie is purely political.
The sad thing is going to be all children, what about the children :roll:
Last edited by shortski on Jul 17th, '06, 15:06, edited 2 times in total.
Cogito, ergo sum

Sometimes it is that simple.

ImageImage
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

shortski wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Interesting. Deaths from global warming will double to 300,000 in 25 years? This stat alone is proof that Gore's new movie is purely political.
insightful, without troubling itself to be an actual sentence. thanks for your addition Shortski. it wouldn't be a climate talk without your valuable input.
2knees
Poster Child Poster

Post by 2knees »

shortski wrote: The sad thing is going to be all children, what about the children :roll:
yes it is a sad thing, the legacy we are leaving our children. Maybe worthy only of sarcasm for some, but for others, its a troubling and important issue.
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

shortski wrote:
Cityskier wrote: insightful, without troubling itself to be an actual sentence. thanks for your addition Shortski. it wouldn't be a climate talk without your valuable input.
2knees wrote:yes it is a sad thing, the legacy we are leaving our children. Maybe worthy only of sarcasm for some, but for others, its a troubling and important issue.
You Libs seriously need to get a sense of humor.

that quality which appeals to a sense of the ludicrous or absurdly incongruous b : the mental faculty of discovering, expressing, or appreciating the ludicrous or absurdly incongruous c : something that is or is designed to be comical or amusing

I was poking fun at one of the buzz phrases that the Liberal Democrats love to bandie about, didn't you see the :roll:

BTW, Citi sorry for confusing you I forgot the t' in "it's, how long did it take to figure out what my meaning was? I figured out right away that you ment than and not that. :shock:
Cityskier wrote: And for the record, I'm much more comfortable with 2knees speaking for me that you. I think he could do a pretty good job of it...you not so much.
Cogito, ergo sum

ImageImage
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Bubba wrote:One of the things about the warming issue I don't hear anyone mention is the increased greenhouse gas emissions caused simply by the increase in population. We as humans all emit CO2 and take up more of the land mass thus reducing the number of CO2 absorbing trees. If we're measuring greenhouse gas increases since the industrial revolution, we also have to include population increases in the calculation. I'm sure this is being done; I just don't hear anyone mentioning this in all the debates over greenhouse gas reduction needs.
You left out the increase in Methane release which also is a Greenhouse gas and can deplete the Ozone further (not that it is really being depleated). AND, with increased population we need to increase food production which brought about dense farming of Poultry, Swine and Cows. More Methane and sh*t to take care of.

Now, having said that, in the US there are supposed to be more trees and forests now than at the turn of the 20th century due to land conservation and Controled harvesting. Unfortunately that is probably counter balanced by the loss of the r*in forests and jungles in South America and Africa.

So, If we are at the end of the last ice age, and there was more than one, exactly what ended the previous ice ages? Man wasn't here so you can't blame us. Did the dinosaurs blow too many farts? Well, then they deserve to be extinct, sorry no good bastids.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
2knees
Poster Child Poster

Post by 2knees »

shortski wrote: You Libs seriously need to get a sense of humor.

that quality which appeals to a sense of the ludicrous or absurdly incongruous b : the mental faculty of discovering, expressing, or appreciating the ludicrous or absurdly incongruous c : something that is or is designed to be comical or amusing
i have a sense of humor, a very good one. the future of my two daughters, however, sometimes clouds that.
Last edited by 2knees on Jul 17th, '06, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

Dr. NO wrote:
Bubba wrote:One of the things about the warming issue I don't hear anyone mention is the increased greenhouse gas emissions caused simply by the increase in population. We as humans all emit CO2 and take up more of the land mass thus reducing the number of CO2 absorbing trees. If we're measuring greenhouse gas increases since the industrial revolution, we also have to include population increases in the calculation. I'm sure this is being done; I just don't hear anyone mentioning this in all the debates over greenhouse gas reduction needs.
You left out the increase in Methane release which also is a Greenhouse gas and can deplete the Ozone further (not that it is really being depleated). AND, with increased population we need to increase food production which brought about dense farming of Poultry, Swine and Cows. More Methane and sh*t to take care of.

Now, having said that, in the US there are supposed to be more trees and forests now than at the turn of the 20th century due to land conservation and Controled harvesting. Unfortunately that is probably counter balanced by the loss of the r*in forests and jungles in South America and Africa.

So, If we are at the end of the last ice age, and there was more than one, exactly what ended the previous ice ages? Man wasn't here so you can't blame us. Did the dinosaurs blow too many farts? Well, then they deserve to be extinct, sorry no good bastids.
Now Doc, that's just crazy talk. :D
Cogito, ergo sum

ImageImage
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

I know, I know, you can't judge what is happening today by going back to the past. I hear it all the time, we have to live today and the future, not relive the past. What was I thinking.

But he who fails to learn from the past shall relive it again and again

Shut up and Ski!

Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Dr. NO wrote:
You left out the increase in Methane release which also is a Greenhouse gas and can deplete the Ozone further (not that it is really being depleated).
Could you explain this a little further? Methane is clearly a greenhouse gas, but what does this have to do with the ozone layer and, also, are you saying that the ozone layer has not really been depleted?
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

shortski wrote:
shortski wrote:
Cityskier wrote: insightful, without troubling itself to be an actual sentence. thanks for your addition Shortski. it wouldn't be a climate talk without your valuable input.
2knees wrote:yes it is a sad thing, the legacy we are leaving our children. Maybe worthy only of sarcasm for some, but for others, its a troubling and important issue.
You Libs seriously need to get a sense of humor.

I was poking fun at one of the buzz phrases that the Liberal Democrats love to bandie about, didn't you see the :roll:

BTW, Citi sorry for confusing you I forgot the t' in "it's, how long did it take to figure out what my meaning was? I figured out right away that you ment than and not that. :shock:
Cityskier wrote: And for the record, I'm much more comfortable with 2knees speaking for me that you. I think he could do a pretty good job of it...you not so much.
See your above comment about sense of humor. Don't confuse my responses to you with the ones I give XJ. I know you're smarter than you look. Him...not so much.
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

Cityskier wrote: I know you're smarter than you look. Him...not so much.
If I was only as smart as I looked I'd be a Liberal Democrat. :lol:

Cogito, ergo sum

ImageImage
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

2knees wrote:
shortski wrote: You Libs seriously need to get a sense of humor.

i have a sense of humor, a very good one. the future of my two daughters, however, sometimes clouds that.

Very cute kids. I too worry about the future of my children. I think we need to plant many many more trees and do as much as we can about recycling things. Please recycle those water and other types of plastic bottles folks and don't litter.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Bubba wrote:
Dr. NO wrote:
You left out the increase in Methane release which also is a Greenhouse gas and can deplete the Ozone further (not that it is really being depleated).
Could you explain this a little further? Methane is clearly a greenhouse gas, but what does this have to do with the ozone layer and, also, are you saying that the ozone layer has not really been depleted?
My understanding is that Methane is also a problem with OZONE and it may contribute to the depletion of the "ozone layer". It can also increase Ozone at our level causing breathing problems, expecially for asthmatics and the OLDER crowd that is OUT OF SHAPE. :wink:

BUT, since we knew nothing about the "Ozone Layer" until the late 50's or early 60's, what data is there regarding its size, normal funtion and normal growth and withdrawl? We just don't know. Throw in an AlGore and "Oh MY GOD, the OZONE is shrinking daily due to FLuorocorbons and polutants". Oh, sorry, the hole opened during sun spots and shrank again. Oh, we don't have much data on it, except that this hole changes. 60 years studying the Ozone layer is not documented history. Tell me what it is doing in the next millenium.

Shut up and Ski!