Stem Cell Research

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Stem Cell Research

Post by Cityskier »

-- President Bush issues the first veto of his presidency, rejecting a bill to expand federal research on stem cells obtained from embryos.

I find the actions and priorities of our government completely dumbfounding. It's amazing how much effort is spent to protect life prior to viability, yet once your here the view is pretty much "f*** you...you're on your own!"

I have two counsins with cystic fibrosis, a disease that is primed to be combatted by stem cell research and gene therapy. The fact that the stupid motherfukcer sitting in the White House is using this issue to appease his right-wing nut-job supporters while people are suffering in unconscionable.
Vinny Vincenzo
Wanted Poster

Post by Vinny Vincenzo »

He talks directly to God. I'm not sure who calls who, though. God must have buzzed him on this one.
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

Vinny Vincenzo wrote:He talks directly to God. I'm not sure who calls who, though. God must have buzzed him on this one.
Yeah...he's a scary mofo.
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

Aside from shutting down promising lines of research and probably exacerbating human suffering, bone head moves like this are inevitably going to whittle away yet more of our scientific superiority - which when all is said and done is what's made this country economically prosperous.
No doubt lots of U.S. stem cell researchers are heading to greener pastures in Europe.

And Bush isn't the only one. It's scary to listen to some of the justifications that stem cell research opponents in Congress use. Some of these people sound so goddamned stupid that you have to wonder whether or not their aides hide all the sharp objects before they walk into a room.

When asked how he could possibly object to using embryos that were destined to be throw away anway, one Congressiman said "Because stem cell research is evil"
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

G-smashed
Official KZone Historian

Post by G-smashed »

OK, will one of you right wing nut jobs tell me again why we're better off with this dumb f*** in the White House than we would have been if the votes were counted honestly in 2000? Also remind me that he is not really under the influence of the Christonazis but just looking out for our best interests. Cmon Shorty, B5, I'm waiting! Don't make me wait too long - I might need stem cell therapy before he's out of office!

RJSVermont
Slalom Racer

Post by RJSVermont »

G-smashed wrote:OK, will one of you right wing nut jobs tell me again why we're better off with this dumb f*** in the White House than we would have been if the votes were counted honestly in 2000? Also remind me that he is not really under the influence of the Christonazis but just looking out for our best interests. Cmon Shorty, B5, I'm waiting! Don't make me wait too long - I might need stem cell therapy before he's out of office!

I think all the right wing neocon self labeled "Genetic Scientists" that like to post here in the political forum are reviewing their "scientifically researched" reasoning as to why they believe that embryonic stem cell research is a waste of time. For anyone who is not a genetic scientist to say that embryonic stem cell research is a waste of time is just plain ignorant. I'm sure there were plenty of the same idiots lurking around when JFK said the USA was going to put a man on the moon. "Man on the moon, that's impossible........"

This farkin country was not founded on Christianity. Why the fark in this day and age is it being run on Christianity. Please, someone bring Thomas Jefferson back from the dead to remind these idiot neocon republicans that their party evolved from the anti-federalist party.
Some things just can't be bought......
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

BigKahuna13 wrote:Aside from shutting down promising lines of research and probably exacerbating human suffering, bone head moves like this are inevitably going to whittle away yet more of our scientific superiority - which when all is said and done is what's made this country economically prosperous.
No doubt lots of U.S. stem cell researchers are heading to greener pastures in Europe.

And Bush isn't the only one. It's scary to listen to some of the justifications that stem cell research opponents in Congress use. Some of these people sound so goddamned stupid that you have to wonder whether or not their aides hide all the sharp objects before they walk into a room.

When asked how he could possibly object to using embryos that were destined to be throw away anway, one Congressiman said "Because stem cell research is evil"
My personal favorite is Bill Frist, MD. What a waste of protoplasm.
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

I think he should have vetoed it but not for the reason he did. As far as my views on abortion, it's between the women and her doctor, everyone else should just STFU. I'm against government government funding of anything that could be done in the private sector, and that's consistent with my overall view of what the government should and should not be involved in.

As far as passing a bill that would allow for private funding of stem cell research, not only am I for it, I would put up some capital to invest in a company perusing the research.
Cogito, ergo sum

Sometimes it is that simple.

ImageImage
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

shortski wrote:I think he should have vetoed it but not for the reason he did. As far as my views on abortion, it's between the women and her doctor, everyone else should just STFU. I'm against government government funding of anything that could be done in the private sector, and that's consistent with my overall view of what the government should and should not be involved in.

As far as passing a bill that would allow for private funding of stem cell research, not only am I for it, I would put up some capital to invest in a company perusing the research.
Stem Cell is being researched. The issue is Embryonic Stem Cell research which he vetoed. To date there is no evidence that Embryonic Stem Cells will enhance the findings of adult research. So far scientists have stated no advances have occurred from using the Embryo. All advances are from Adult Cells. Of course with further research this could change. If not found by the U.S. then by others.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Cityskier wrote:
Recent comments of Sen. Frist of Tennessee, who happens to be a socially conservative Republican, Senate Majority Leader, and a pretty well regarded heart surgeon. A "waste of protoplasm" might be a bit strong, regardless of the nonsense surrounding the Terry Schiavo affair.

June 29th, 2006 - While human embryonic stem cell research is still in an early stage, the limitations put in place in 2001 will, over time, slow our ability to investigate new treatments for certain diseases. Therefore, I believe the President’s policy should be modified. Which is why, with reservation, I support the house passed embryonic stem cell research bill, H.R.810.

Let me be clear, this bill has deficiencies. If circumstances were different I would seek to ensure a much stronger ethical and scientific oversight mechanism, a clear prohibition on financial or other incentives between scientists and fertility clinics, and more explicit requirements regarding informed consent. But I have said that we should debate and vote on the House passed bill and I will ask that it be included in the package of bills I am about to put forward for consideration.

His comments continued on to explain his views in more depth, along with some other legislation that he supported that would remedy the "deficiencies" he identified.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

Bubba wrote:
Cityskier wrote:
regardless of the nonsense surrounding the Terry Schiavo affair.
How does one disregard one of the most heinous displays from a medical professional I can remember?
Bubba wrote: ****************
June 29th, 2006 - While human embryonic stem cell research is still in an early stage, the limitations put in place in 2001 will, over time, slow our ability to investigate new treatments for certain diseases. Therefore, I believe the President’s policy should be modified. Which is why, with reservation, I support the house passed embryonic stem cell research bill, H.R.810.

Let me be clear, this bill has deficiencies. If circumstances were different I would seek to ensure a much stronger ethical and scientific oversight mechanism, a clear prohibition on financial or other incentives between scientists and fertility clinics, and more explicit requirements regarding informed consent. But I have said that we should debate and vote on the House passed bill and I will ask that it be included in the package of bills I am about to put forward for consideration.

His comments continued on to explain his views in more depth, along with some other legislation that he supported that would remedy the "deficiencies" he identified.
Never trust a cat killer. 10 out of 10 cats thing that I may be on to something.

http://us.share.geocities.com/beezskis/ ... r-hres.mov (takes a minute to load)

Some proponent for ethics.
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

shortski wrote:I think he should have vetoed it but not for the reason he did. As far as my views on abortion, it's between the women and her doctor, everyone else should just STFU. I'm against government government funding of anything that could be done in the private sector, and that's consistent with my overall view of what the government should and should not be involved in.

Generally agree, but my impression is that private industry doesn't like to do fundamental research (or make it the first victim of budget cuts when the going get rough). For better or worse, most fundamental research is done on the government's dime.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Cityskier wrote:
Bubba wrote:
Cityskier wrote:
regardless of the nonsense surrounding the Terry Schiavo affair.
How does one disregard one of the most heinous displays from a medical professional I can remember?
Bubba wrote: ****************

Never trust a cat killer. 10 out of 10 cats thing that I may be on to something.

http://us.share.geocities.com/beezskis/ ... r-hres.mov (takes a minute to load)

Some proponent for ethics.
LOL...that's funny. I dissected a cat in college biology. I can still remember the smell of formaldahyde. Yuck!

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Here's the roll call on the stem cell research bill

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/r ... vote=00206

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Cityskier wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:Aside from shutting down promising lines of research and probably exacerbating human suffering, bone head moves like this are inevitably going to whittle away yet more of our scientific superiority - which when all is said and done is what's made this country economically prosperous.

Vs. whom, Howard Dean, MD ?
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?