$3/gal gas prices aren't bad for everyone.

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

I have been following Ballard (more so their technology rather than their stock) since 1999. Some good technology their, but still not feasible on a large scale.

Hydrogen. Think if hydrogen as you would a battery. It takes lots of energy to produce it. After expending that energy you put it in your (car/plane/whatever) and extract energy from it. That is all hydrogen gets us. It moves the pipe farting out the poison from your car to some power plant somewhere. That is all.
Thanks for the mammaries! (.)(.)
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

yeti wrote:I have been following Ballard (more so their technology rather than their stock) since 1999. Some good technology their, but still not feasible on a large scale.

Hydrogen. Think if hydrogen as you would a battery. It takes lots of energy to produce it. After expending that energy you put it in your (car/plane/whatever) and extract energy from it. That is all hydrogen gets us. It moves the pipe farting out the poison from your car to some power plant somewhere. That is all.
Yeah, but I think cleaning up power plant emissions might be an easier problem to solve than cleaning up car emissions. At least there are less of them to worry about.

Also read that nukes are making a comeback. At least a bunch of power companies have started the process of requesting permission to build them.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

G-smashed
Official KZone Historian

Post by G-smashed »

2pink1stink wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Read an analyst report today that if another Katrina like weather event occurs in the south, prices could easily reach $100+ a barrell ... translating to $5/gallon+ at the pumps.
let's hope so.
Gotcha! You're really Geoff, aren't you!

Don't Deer Valley Killington!
http://www.myeloma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ffrf.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.keithrichards.com/
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

BigKahuna13 wrote:Biggest problem with hydrogen is that most of the H2 that's available on earth has that attached "O". Haven't followed the technology that closely but if I remember correctly it's still an expensive - in terms of energy - process to liberate hydrogen from water.

Too bad we just can't stick a collector out in interplanetary space. Lots of the stuff up there.
There is 20+ feet of tide in downeast Maine. That can be harnessed to run turbines to produce electricity. You then produce hydrogen by electrolysis of seawater and pipe it around the country.
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

G-smashed wrote:
2pink1stink wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Read an analyst report today that if another Katrina like weather event occurs in the south, prices could easily reach $100+ a barrell ... translating to $5/gallon+ at the pumps.
let's hope so.
Gotcha! You're really Geoff, aren't you!
Huh? I'm the guy who thinks we should bomb the Middle East back into the stone age so we can go back to $1.00/gallon at the pump. Dr. Strangelove diplomacy.
ski_adk
Bumper

Post by ski_adk »

Yeah, but if we were to clean up emissions, global warming would accelerate even faster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_dimming
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Geoff wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:Biggest problem with hydrogen is that most of the H2 that's available on earth has that attached "O". Haven't followed the technology that closely but if I remember correctly it's still an expensive - in terms of energy - process to liberate hydrogen from water.

Too bad we just can't stick a collector out in interplanetary space. Lots of the stuff up there.
There is 20+ feet of tide in downeast Maine. That can be harnessed to run turbines to produce electricity. You then produce hydrogen by electrolysis of seawater and pipe it around the country.
Tidal turbines are in use up in Canada. They even have some where at low tide hey have a dike and the water poors over it. At mid tide it goes into nuetral, and then reverses at high tide. One of my co-workers programmed that particular one.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?