the IT industry REEEEEAAAAALLLLLYYYY sucks!

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
SkiPutt
Slalom Racer

Re: the IT industry REEEEEAAAAALLLLLYYYY sucks!

Post by SkiPutt »

[quote="SkiDork"]I've been a consultant with this company for over 2 years now. It was supposed to be a try before you buy thing at first - then I got the shaft because a new CEO came in and cancelled all pending hires.

Then my group was insourced to the company we were administering their systems for, and because I was still a consulant at the old place they couldn't hire me full time at the new place.

In the mean time, Ty got laid off so now we're paying an additional $850 a month for COBRA insurance. Not to mention the fact that I haven't taken a single day off since last September due to the fact that it hurts us a lot financially (didn't hurt as much when Ty was working which was the situation when I was first hired). Also I work for free on the weekends (when I have to work, which is not too often) since they don't have a way of paying constultants for weekend work...

I've been trying to get hired full time by the company since December - always get told "It's in the pipe line but things take a long time... yadda yadda yadda..."

Now to add insult to injury, the company just called up the consulting firm I work for and want to decrease my pay - they say there are plenty of people in India who would work for a lot less....

JEEEEEZZZEEE!!!

I'd love to just chuck it all and move to VT or UT or something and do my own work, or buy a bed and breakfast etc. and quit this freakin rat race!!![/quote]

I agree with you 100%! Tuesday I head back into the rat race after 3 1/2 months and I know it is going to be nasty, not only from a work standpoint but from the stinking heat. The subway stations are going to smelly and terribly hot. My office mate told me that my desk has been ransacked of all supplies, my computer has been used by anyone who brought their kid in for the day and all my files have been gone through and scattered all over. It is going to be very very ugly if I get thrown into the deep end on my first day back and can't find anything. My temper is already rising at a dangerous rate and I even stepped foot in the door yet.

Wanna partner in that B&B? :)
yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

>> Now to add insult to injury, the company just called up the consulting firm I work for and want to decrease my pay - they say there are plenty of people in India who would work for a lot less....

Uh huh. I would certainly take them up on that. Quit now (in a professional manner of course: two weeks notice, no walking the halls bad mouthing, ect). If you have an exit interview simply slide that email if you have it in with your signed goodbye letter, and walk out with your pride. Hope they enjoy the curry. (I personally love Indian food, but that is beside the point).

Let this be a lesson to you all: if you don't have a "f*** You" fund.... build one up. Be it 6 months pay in cash (best), some stocks salted away (meh), or a massive 401K you can tap (least best).... it is a very good thing to have on hand.
Thanks for the mammaries! (.)(.)
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

yeti wrote:>> Now to add insult to injury, the company just called up the consulting firm I work for and want to decrease my pay - they say there are plenty of people in India who would work for a lot less....

Uh huh. I would certainly take them up on that. Quit now (in a professional manner of course: two weeks notice, no walking the halls bad mouthing, ect). If you have an exit interview simply slide that email if you have it in with your signed goodbye letter, and walk out with your pride. Hope they enjoy the curry. (I personally love Indian food, but that is beside the point).

Let this be a lesson to you all: if you don't have a "f*** You" fund.... build one up. Be it 6 months pay in cash (best), some stocks salted away (meh), or a massive 401K you can tap (least best).... it is a very good thing to have on hand.
Unfortunately, with me being unemployed for 9 months now our savings have been depleted quite a bit so quitting is not an option for him at this time. I did tell him to start looking for another job but he is in the same spot as me in that he has been working with older technology and does not have enough experience with the new technology. It would be great if he could do as you proposed. We have had a run of bad luck for a quite a bit now and I am hoping that our luck will change sometime soon.
yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

Well, that stinks. Perhaps the advice in the thread - that it is time for a radical change in direction - is valid.

Not knowing anything more than what I have read it simply sounds like yins (oops - lapsed into Pittsburgese there) have lost all of your momentum. Rather than fight that head wind turn around - then it become a tail wind.
BrockVond
Powderhound

Post by BrockVond »

SkiDork wrote: I'd love to just chuck it all and move to VT or UT or something and do my own work, or buy a bed and breakfast etc. and quit this freakin rat race!!!
get out now, is my advice. Things are going to get a whole helluva lot worse before they get better, if ever, within IT. Unless that B&B is in Delhi, I'd bag that idea. Follow what you love and bite the bullet. It is not easy with kids, that I know for sure. The whole family has to be onboard for it, or it will never work.

A lot of talking and honest explanations of where you stand and where you want to go. I have been through exactly what you now find yourself confronted with and it boils down to what you, as a family, want to decide upon going after.

Good luck.
Finn
Postaholic

Post by Finn »

Yea I agree it always looks greener on the otherside.
Best of luck ski dork.....you are a great guy and Ty too.
We all struggle to survive.
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

BrockVond wrote:
SkiDork wrote: I'd love to just chuck it all and move to VT or UT or something and do my own work, or buy a bed and breakfast etc. and quit this freakin rat race!!!
get out now, is my advice. Things are going to get a whole helluva lot worse before they get better, if ever, within IT. Unless that B&B is in Delhi, I'd bag that idea. Follow what you love and bite the bullet. It is not easy with kids, that I know for sure. The whole family has to be onboard for it, or it will never work.

A lot of talking and honest explanations of where you stand and where you want to go. I have been through exactly what you now find yourself confronted with and it boils down to what you, as a family, want to decide upon going after.

Good luck.
I actually love IT, I just don't like the lack of any sort of intergrity by the companies in giving a $hit about the employees.

Not sure what else I'd like to do, except maybe just be a ski bum?
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
BrockVond
Powderhound

Post by BrockVond »

SkiDork wrote:
I actually love IT, I just don't like the lack of any sort of intergrity by the companies in giving a $hit about the employees.
It will get much worse in the next few years.
Not sure what else I'd like to do, except maybe just be a ski bum?
Well, "bum" is not really a good talking point for the wife. I would opt for "ski industry entrpreneur".

Have the discussion as a family, and set a course. Cobra is a death sentence. Something has to change, and it won't be painless. If you love IT, that's fine. Just understand that it's not going to be pretty the next 2 or so years here in NYC.
yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

Personally, I would open up a Starbucks in Rutland and over charge your fellow New Yorkers for a shitty cup of joe.
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

Pizza. The pizza in Vermont sucks.

Used to work in a pizzaria when I was in HS. Could teach you how to make pies and heros.

Nothing like a cash business.........
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

MarieM
Post Office

Post by MarieM »

BigKahuna13 wrote:Pizza. The pizza in Vermont sucks.

Used to work in a pizzaria when I was in HS. Could teach you how to make pies and heros.

Been there, done that. The hours suck; it sucks to ask/tell/require people to work on Sundays...lots of stress.
Steve
Wanted Poster

Post by Steve »

why Vermont?

If I were to do something like that, it'd be in Mammoth..

-steve
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

Steve wrote:

why Vermont?

If I were to do something like that, it'd be in Mammoth..

-steve
Do they have decent pizza out West? Dunno, I've only see the middle of the country from 30,000'.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

BigKahuna13 wrote: Do they have decent pizza out West? Dunno, I've only see the middle of the country from 30,000'.
Hence the reason liberal Democrats call it fly over country. :D
Cogito, ergo sum

Sometimes it is that simple.

ImageImage
Steve
Wanted Poster

Post by Steve »

BigKahuna13 wrote:Do they have decent pizza out West?
no