the IT industry REEEEEAAAAALLLLLYYYY sucks!

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Steve wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:No one really choses to be a contactor for the most part, consultant yes, but not a contractor.
what, exactly, is the difference between a consultant and a contractor?
I guess it depends upon your view of the two.

I see a contractor as someone that works for company X, but is hired by company Y to build/maintain XYZ for some period of time.

I see a consultant as someone who is hired by company Y to give advice/services, but not as some one that works for company Y.
Steve
Wanted Poster

Post by Steve »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Steve wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:No one really choses to be a contactor for the most part, consultant yes, but not a contractor.

I see a contractor as someone that works for company X, but is hired by company Y to build/maintain XYZ for some period of time.

I see a consultant as someone who is hired by company Y to give advice/services, but not as some one that works for company Y.
so a contractor is really an employee of company X, which is a consulting firm, whereas a consultant is an employee of is own one-man company, which is a consulting firm?
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

Steve wrote:
$50 an hour.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Steve wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Steve wrote:

so a contractor is really an employee of company X, which is a consulting firm, whereas a consultant is an employee of is own one-man company, which is a consulting firm?
No. To keep it short ... a contractor helps company Y build XYZ. A consultant just offers proffessional advice to company Y which may or may not help Y build XYZ.
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Steve wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Steve wrote:

No. To keep it short ... a contractor helps company Y build XYZ. A consultant just offers proffessional advice to company Y which may or may not help Y build XYZ.
Jib - you're obviously wrong which is why Steve is baiting you.

Answer - there is no difference. I've been called both Consultant and Contractor, and do the exact same thing working for the exact same company.
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
Steve
Wanted Poster

Post by Steve »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Steve wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Steve wrote:

got it. so your point is that almost nobody wants to be a contractor?

-steve
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Steve wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Steve wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Steve wrote: what, exactly, is the difference between a consultant and a contractor?

got it. so your point is that almost nobody wants to be a contractor?

-steve
:roll: No. Contractors are normally workers enroute to becoming full-time employees. A consultant is just that, a consultant.

I don't know why I bother explaining ... you know what the heck I'm talking about already you just like being Steve.
Steve
Wanted Poster

Post by Steve »

wow, touchy these days, aren't you?
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: :roll: No. Contractors are normally workers enroute to becoming full-time employees.
sometimes they are, sometimes they're not. I know lots of people who would rather be a contractors than an employee. why? maybe they get medical benefits from a spouse and would like a higher take-home pay.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Steve wrote:wow, touchy these days, aren't you?
No I just know you're either trying to get me to confuse myself or some other hilarious alternative :lol: :P
Steve wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: :roll: No. Contractors are normally workers enroute to becoming full-time employees.
sometimes they are, sometimes they're not. I know lots of people who would rather be a contractors than an employee. why? maybe they get medical benefits from a spouse and would like a higher take-home pay.

Like I said it was only my opinion and it depends who you ask and how you look at the situation.

Sure ... contracting offers a big take home salary and if your spouse has medical ... go for it. There are still comprimises though ... like no paid time off.
Steve
Wanted Poster

Post by Steve »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:No I just know you're either trying to get me to confuse myself or some other hilarious alternative :lol:
actually, in this case, I wanted to completely understand your point of view before responding.
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Sure ... contracting offers a big take home salary and if your spouse has medical ... go for it. There are still comprimises though ... like no paid time off.
If your salary is big enough to compensate, the no PTO is a good thing - because you can be flexible with how much time off you take.
as a skier, i like flexible vacation rules..
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

Steve wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:No I just know you're either trying to get me to confuse myself or some other hilarious alternative :lol:
actually, in this case, I wanted to completely understand your point of view before responding.
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Sure ... contracting offers a big take home salary and if your spouse has medical ... go for it. There are still comprimises though ... like no paid time off.
If your salary is big enough to compensate, the no PTO is a good thing - because you can be flexible with how much time off you take.
as a skier, i like flexible vacation rules..
In a fantasy world thats true. In reality, if you start taking off too much time you're going to be in the doghouse and they'll probably cut you. At least thats how it is here...

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

SkiDork wrote:
In a fantasy world thats true. In reality, if you start taking off too much time you're going to be in the doghouse and they'll probably cut you. At least thats how it is here...
It's similar in other companies that I've worked for as well. Most contractors are lucky to get two weeks if that.

edit: At SAP there is large yearly bonus ... another drawback to being a contractor is missing out on that mega-perk.
Steve
Wanted Poster

Post by Steve »

SkiDork wrote:In a fantasy world thats true. In reality, if you start taking off too much time you're going to be in the doghouse and they'll probably cut you. At least thats how it is here...
... in moderation. Like any privilege, if you abuse it, you'll get slammed.

a cpa/lawyer friend once told me: "The bulls make money. The bears make money. The pigs get turned into bacon."
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

My boss just informed me that the CIO has signed off on my hiring papers! Now I can take some days off for skiing this winter... Yippee!!!

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

SkiDork wrote:My boss just informed me that the CIO has signed off on my hiring papers! Now I can take some days off for skiing this winter... Yippee!!!
Awesome! HUGE congrats!