Met ...

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Met ...

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

... the two most awesome people I've met in my entire life this evening. I was in Orlando at Friday's and two Marines sat next to me .... both 23 like me. They had both just got back from Kabul. These two men brought me to tears .... they showed so much passion and commitment to their country and their duty, it was utterly amazing. I've never been in the presence of such proud men. I can only hope to have a quarter of the pride that they have over my life time.

One Marine was asking why i haven't joined ... as I told him I always wanted to since I could remember ... while the other Marine explained that I was enjoying the life that he was providing and that I should be proud of what I have and I shouldn't trade it for anything.

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of these soldiers and what they have to go through. No matter if it's in Shoprite or in the mall .... never EVER walk by them without paying respect to them. People look at me cross-eyed when I thank the men and women that solely provide my freedom.

The men and women die for the freedom that we have just so i can have a good job and good pay to raise a family and to utilize the freedoms granted to us via the constitution. We have it so much better then others around the world and too many young adults in my generation take it for granted and that's a shame.

I hope all of u get the chance to meet men as proud as these guys ... they poored their heart out with pride and teared up as they told their stories.

I wish all the men and women that have fought for our country the best of luck and they are in my prayers every night. It's people like these and people like DMC who support them day in and day out that make this country so great.

I hope you read this DMC, because you my friend, do more for our patriots over seas than any of us could ever wish for.

In my prayers.

Erich
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

So, when are you becoming a Marine? College Degree, good skills and physically fit, you could make it through basic and then apply for OCS or what ever they call it (Officer Candidate School). Pay ain't all that bad, and you get to see the world. Well see some of it.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

That sounds awesome. I wish I could have met them too.

Whenever I'm in Penn Station and a soldier walks by I always salute them and say thank you.
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

I sincerely doubt you have it in you - but if you let that stop you then you clearly were not cut out for the job.

I didn't let it stop me.

http://www.ocs.usmc.mil/

Good luck.
Thanks for the mammaries! (.)(.)
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

BTW - is it OK for a civilian to salute military?

If not, what other sort of gesture should I use?

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
Vinny Vincenzo
Wanted Poster

Post by Vinny Vincenzo »

SkiDork wrote:BTW - is it OK for a civilian to salute military?

It's ok for a civilian to salute military personnel, just don't expect the salute to be returned. They actually teach you that.
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

Vinny Vincenzo wrote:
SkiDork wrote:BTW - is it OK for a civilian to salute military?

It's ok for a civilian to salute military personnel, just don't expect the salute to be returned. They actually teach you that.
Thanks. I always say "Thank You" in a very loud voice after the salute. Will that be taken in a positive way?

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

>> BTW - is it OK for a civilian to salute military?

No. It would imply that you are military, but in civilian clothing (and while active duty you should not salute when either is in civilian clothing).
yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

When a civilian is saluted, it is usually only done by a sentry (half salute at the chest - forget what that is called) or by uncovering.
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

yeti wrote:>> BTW - is it OK for a civilian to salute military?

No. It would imply that you are military, but in civilian clothing (and while active duty you should not salute when either is in civilian clothing).
OK - I'll stop doing it.

How can I show them my appreciation, then?

Dork...

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

You can never go wrong with beer...

Or a handshake.

I strongly doubt that anyone would take offense - it would just be something that many would not know how to react to - but having any common sense they get your drift. I would probably have just saluted back and continued on my way.

Bear in mind the the Army and Navy have differing traditions regarding this.
MarieM
Post Office

Post by MarieM »

yeti wrote:You can never go wrong with beer...

I've been out with TJ and the guys have bought him shots.

Also...lots of folks tell me to tell him "Thank you." We prayed for his crew's safe return on Sunday, and tons of people stopped me on the way out of church to ask me to express their thanks and appreciation.

I mentioned that to him when he called from Bahrain later that same day, and he thought it was pretty cool. He said that folks in Virginia Beach pretty much take the Navy guys for granted, so it was great for him to hear that his service is appreciated.

He's home!! Woohoo!
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

yeti wrote:You can never go wrong with beer...
I chose Tequila. Petron, silver.
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

SkiDork wrote:
How can I show them my appreciation, then?
Actually, just saying thankyou goes a long way. But like Yeti Said, Beer is great.
2pink1stink
Slalom Racer

Post by 2pink1stink »

wow, those guys sound like a couple of arrogant asswipes. no wonder the entire world hates america.

typical jarhead jerkoffs. all over this great wide world these brave men are murdering innocent women and children to protect our "way of life".

you know, i always get a little spring in my step everytime i hear another american soldier has been killed. it makes my day.