Carry ons

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
yeti
Powderhound

Carry ons

Post by yeti »

In light of current events, I sincerely hope that airlines finally do away with carry on baggage outright.

It just amazes me - last winter I flew to Japan with a copy of Time, a bottle of Aquafina, my passport, money clip, and some tic tacs in my pocket. That's it. Other people get on the plane and you'd think that they were preparing to face the wilderness. Food, water, f-ing PILLOWS for chrissake.... (and this was just for the flight to San Fran!). How 5 hours can be such an ordeal for these folks is a mystery.

Baby formula, and prescription drugs. OK, tampons. That is it.

I fly to Hawaii in two weeks. In typical Yeti fashion I will ship my laptop ahead, and walk on the plane with a magazine (dispensing the bottle of water I usually have). Of course I will be the only one - everyone else will have their damn roll ons and such. Hell many times I dont even take clothes - I once went and bought some duds and a cheap duffle at Walmart after I landed. $80 well spent.

Oh, and by the way - these cocksuckers give not a sh*t about how progressive and liberal and anti Iraq war you are. They want to burn you to a crisp hoping you suffer horribly along the way.... and best yet if your kids are on the plane with you. I'd bet they go to sleep at night wacking off to this image, leaving behind notes about how they don't want to be buried in a cemetary with any women after they do their deed. You cannot placate them, you cannot negotiate with them, all you can do is kill them before they kill you. Being squeamish about this point will not get us anywhere.

Sucks, but life seems to most of the time.
Thanks for the mammaries! (.)(.)
SkiDork
Site Admin

Re: Carry ons

Post by SkiDork »

yeti wrote:In light of current events, I sincerely hope that airlines finally do away with carry on baggage outright.

It just amazes me - last winter I flew to Japan with a copy of Time, a bottle of Aquafina, my passport, money clip, and some tic tacs in my pocket. That's it. Other people get on the plane and you'd think that they were preparing to face the wilderness. Food, water, f-ing PILLOWS for chrissake.... (and this was just for the flight to San Fran!). How 5 hours can be such an ordeal for these folks is a mystery.

Baby formula, and prescription drugs. OK, tampons. That is it.

I fly to Hawaii in two weeks. In typical Yeti fashion I will ship my laptop ahead, and walk on the plane with a magazine (dispensing the bottle of water I usually have). Of course I will be the only one - everyone else will have their damn roll ons and such. Hell many times I dont even take clothes - I once went and bought some duds and a cheap duffle at Walmart after I landed. $80 well spent.

Oh, and by the way - these cocksuckers give not a sh*t about how progressive and liberal and anti Iraq war you are. They want to burn you to a crisp hoping you suffer horribly along the way.... and best yet if your kids are on the plane with you. I'd bet they go to sleep at night wacking off to this image, leaving behind notes about how they don't want to be buried in a cemetary with any women after they do their deed. You cannot placate them, you cannot negotiate with them, all you can do is kill them before they kill you. Being squeamish about this point will not get us anywhere.

Sucks, but life seems to most of the time.
Wow. I'm thinking of making this my new sig. Bravo Yeti.
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

Agree except about the laptop. Don't think I'd trust my $3,000 laptop to any airline's baggage handlers. I'm either carrying it on or leaving it home.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

Well, it is true - many a pacifist goes to bed peacefully at night because there is a Marine willing to (OK we are discussing Marines: more like praying to) put a bullet in some fanatics head. The irony of this situation is not lost on me, but it seems to be lost upon the pacifist.

BK: I have been thinking that there is a great business opportunity here - offer a ship ahead service for laptops and baggage in general.

Like all my ideas, I bet if I search for this on the net someone is already doing it.
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

yeti wrote:Well, it is true - many a pacifist goes to bed peacefully at night because there is a Marine willing to (OK we are discussing Marines: more like praying to) put a bullet in some fanatics head. The irony of this situation is not lost on me, but it seems to be lost upon the pacifist.

BK: I have been thinking that there is a great business opportunity here - offer a ship ahead service for laptops and baggage in general.

Like all my ideas, I bet if I search for this on the net someone is already doing it.
Me too. I've been the second person to come up with a million great ideas. Hey, anyone done a bar/lauderomat yet?
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

yeti wrote:Well, it is true - many a pacifist goes to bed peacefully at night because there is a Marine willing to (OK we are discussing Marines: more like praying to) put a bullet in some fanatics head. The irony of this situation is not lost on me, but it seems to be lost upon the pacifist.

The do it for skis and other sporting equipment.

http://www.sportsexpress.com/

Not sure about computers.
yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

Damn. That is always the way it is with me.

I hear on the radio that they are taking milk away from toddlers (sippy cups and bottles).

Way to go you fanatical bastards quite a blow you struck there.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

BigKahuna13 wrote:

Me too. I've been the second person to come up with a million great ideas. Hey, anyone done a bar/lauderomat yet?
Ship ahead idea? I think they call it FED EX! We ship tools, parts whatever the day before and can either have it delivered to the customer for our use or pick it up when we arrive. When finished with the job, you ship it on to the next job or back to the office. I have also used this for my skis.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Blah ... should be a fun time at the airport for me tomorrow
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Job related drive times just got extended. I used to drive 4 to 6 hours. then it was 6 to 8. I'll do the 10 hours driving to avoid the f'n airports now. That gives me a range from Bangor ME Down to Virginia and over to Ohio. With the lines and all flying will take me a minimum of 6 to 8 hours now anyway, arriving early, security checks, lugguage hastles. I'll just drive.

Shut up and Ski!

yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

Dunno.... 8 hours is about the time it takes me to drive to Killington (good traffic). Flying into Albany gets me there in about 4 hours (no delays and being picked up - renting a car takes about 5 hours).

Taking into account waiting for the flight and such, I can be on the lift sooner if I drive (just leave at 4 am and I can catch the lunch crowd if I am "lucky.")

So is it worth it to fly? *Probably* not.

For business, I will fly two blocks.... got to build thems miles.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

yeti wrote:Dunno.... 8 hours is about the time it takes me to drive to Killington (good traffic). Flying into Albany gets me there in about 4 hours (no delays and being picked up - renting a car takes about 5 hours).

Taking into account waiting for the flight and such, I can be on the lift sooner if I drive (just leave at 4 am and I can catch the lunch crowd if I am "lucky.")

I've got at least a million miles among airlines, hotels and Amex so I don't really need to keep adding miles just for the "fun" of it. I'm extending my driving distances.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

I know what you mean - I have 350K just sitting there. I usually burn them for upgrades when I don't have any certificates, but even so they still build up.

I never have time to use them, but maybe this winter I will.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

yeti wrote:Dunno.... 8 hours is about the time it takes me to drive to Killington (good traffic). Flying into Albany gets me there in about 4 hours (no delays and being picked up - renting a car takes about 5 hours).

Add time to Airport, Extend the delay from check-in to boarding, Pick up luggage (you don't carry ski gear?) and 1.5 hours to K. I doubt it is a total of only 4 hours. Just to go from Bradley to Philly would have been a minimum of 5 to 6, same with Bangor. I can drive to Philly in 4.5 and Bangor in 6. Richmong VA is about 9 or 10 depending on traffic, construction etc. Plus, I can carry ALL of my gear in the company van, along with my water bottle.

Shut up and Ski!

Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

yeti wrote:I know what you mean - I have 350K just sitting there. I usually burn them for upgrades when I don't have any certificates, but even so they still build up.

I never have time to use them, but maybe this winter I will.
Gee. I never seem to have that problem. In the last 3 months, I've gotten 2 Chile tickets and 3 LHR day flight tickets on American. My American program is zeroed out. I've gotten 2 Gunnison tickets and 2 Vancouver tickets on United. When I get to the 330 day limit, I'll also book Air New Zealand tickets with United points for next summer if I can get business class or first class seats. If not, we'll probably do Argentina next summer instead. I have ~60K Delta miles and I need to get off the dime to book an SLC trip.

I typically push about 125k miles into the United FT program every year, 75k miles into the American FT program, and 15k into Delta. I get 5 weeks of paid vacation and another 10 days worth of paid holidays. I have 6 weeks of accrued vacation time. I have no problem using my airline miles as fast as I accrue them.