The American Community Survey

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
ABushismaDay
Blue Chatterbox

The American Community Survey

Post by ABushismaDay »

:shock: "The Federal government has quietly begun using an incredibly intrusive new census form called "The American Community Survey." Up to 1 million households a year will receive this form.

This new "census" form is 24-pages long, and demands that you lay bare every detail of your life, including how much you earn, what your home is worth, details of your health, when you leave for work, previous addresses, pregnancies, monies received from government, and on and on." snip...

"The ways the government could use this information to harm you are mind-boggling. For instance, any financial discrepancy with IRS or Social Security records could result in your criminal prosecution. Knowing when you leave for work could enable police, acting under the Patriot Act, to secretly enter your home.

The American Community Survey also demands that you to report on the activities of relatives, employers and roommates. Joseph Stalin could hardly ask for more surveillance powers.

You can download the survey at www.census.gov/acs/www/

Article I of the Constitution allows the government to conduct a count of the American people once every ten years to determine voting districts. Nothing in the Constitution gives government the power to continuously spy on the people or probe every intimate detail of their lives.

As Congressman Ron Paul observes, questions on the American Community Survey are "both ludicrous and insulting," and this information is simply none of the government's business. I fervently hope that millions of Americans will burn their forms or accidentally lose them."
This bussiness will get out of Hand!
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

"detail of your life, including how much you earn, what your home is worth, details of your health, when you leave for work, previous addresses, pregnancies, monies received from government, "

So, they don't already have this information if you do minor things like, oh, file income taxes (Income and Job), or purchase a home (previous address), or pregnancies (Income Tax detuctions), Health (all reported through desease control and other agencies) and god forbid they should try to keep track of the monies you got from them.

Besides, if you were not using these things you are either very very poor or you are an illegal alien and would not report anything anyway.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
Geoff
Whipping Post

Re: The American Community Survey

Post by Geoff »

ABushismaDay wrote:
This new "census" form is 24-pages long, and demands that you lay bare every detail of your life, including how much you earn, what your home is worth, details of your health, when you leave for work, previous addresses, pregnancies, monies received from government, and on and on." snip...
This is total crap. The government already has access to just about all of this information:

Your federal tax return tells them how much you earn. If you lie, the 1099 and W-2 reports from employers, banks, stockbrokers, ... give them all the information.

What your home is worth is a matter of public record. Anybody can look up your town/city property tax assessmentl.

Your address and previous address are also part of your tax record and credit reports.

If you have kids, you report it on your tax form.

You'd hope the government knew how much money they were giving to you if you got money from the government.

I object to this since it's a pain in the ass to fill out yet-more government forms. They can easily get most of this information by other means.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Apparently ABAD thinks this is intrusive ... where have you been living? :roll:
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Apparently ABAD thinks this is intrusive ... where have you been living? :roll:
It is. Last thing I need to do is waste my valuable filling out a 24 page form because some asshole in the government is too goddamn lazy to look it up themselves.

More seriously, given how completely disconnected most of the government's IS systems still are actually pulling together and correlating all that information may well be impossible. As far as I'm concerned the less they know about me the better.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

BigKahuna13 wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Apparently ABAD thinks this is intrusive ... where have you been living? :roll:
It is. Last thing I need to do is waste my valuable filling out a 24 page form because some asshole in the government is too goddamn lazy to look it up themselves.

More seriously, given how completely disconnected most of the government's IS systems still are actually pulling together and correlating all that information may well be impossible. As far as I'm concerned the less they know about me the better.
Just because it's a waste of time doesn't mean its intrusive.

On the IS note, I agree. Gov'ts IT stuff is crap
ABushismaDay
Blue Chatterbox

Are you kidding me...

Post by ABushismaDay »

Have you looked at all the questions? You don't find questions like these intrusive? I do

Question 27 on page 8 asks:

"What time did this person usually leave home to go to work LASTWEEK?"

Why does the government need to know what time a person goes to work last week?
This bussiness will get out of Hand!
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Re: Are you kidding me...

ABushismaDay wrote:Have you looked at all the questions? You don't find questions like these intrusive? I do

To calculate statistics? I don't know, the gov't knowing what time I work won't keep me up at night :roll: If you find that intrusive, god only knows how you feel that the gov't knows how much you make, something MUCH more personal
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
ABushismaDay wrote:Have you looked at all the questions? You don't find questions like these intrusive? I do

To calculate statistics? I don't know, the gov't knowing what time I work won't keep me up at night :roll: If you find that intrusive, god only knows how you feel that the gov't knows how much you make, something MUCH more personal
it boggles my mind that you feel the way you do. it must be a blissful existence.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Cityskier wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:

it boggles my mind that you feel the way you do. it must be a blissful existence.
Be honest .... the gov't knows you work 9-5 ... you loose sleep over this? If so, why? What do you think they're going to do with this information? Are you forced to do the survey if it shows up?
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Cityskier wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:

Be honest .... the gov't knows you work 9-5 ... you loose sleep over this? If so, why? What do you think they're going to do with this information? Are you forced to do the survey if it shows up?
9-5? I wish.

It's not what they do, it's why they do it.

And it's all the things that don't get done when my tax dollars are wasted on this sh*t.

It's about priorities I can't comprehend.
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Cityskier wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:

No it doesn't. Lots of people work different hours (I work 8-4 for example), and more and more people are telecommuting a significant fraction of the time.

I personally don't buy the "they want to know when you leave so they can
break into your house and search it" argument. A couple of days of
surveillence would be enough to determine that.

Still, as a general rule you shouldn't give up information about yourself to anyone, especially the government, no matter how inconsequential without a good reason.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Cityskier wrote:
9-5? I wish.

It's not what they do, it's why they do it.

And it's all the things that don't get done when my tax dollars are wasted on this sh*t.

It's about priorities I can't comprehend.
Ya ... me too.

Well if we're arguing if this is retarded and a waste of tax dollars, I'm right there with you. If were arguing if this info is personal and we as Americans are going to lose sleep over it, I disagree.
BigKahuna13 wrote:No it doesn't. Lots of people work different hours (I work 8-4 for example), and more and more people are telecommuting a significant fraction of the time.

I personally don't buy the "they want to know when you leave so they can
break into your house and search it" argument. A couple of days of
surveillence would be enough to determine that.

Still, as a general rule you shouldn't give up information about yourself to anyone, especially the government, no matter how inconsequential without a good reason.
I was just using it as an example. My hours are all over, similar to you I can add telecommuting too.

I can see your point and it's valid at that. I guess it just doesn't bother me. If I had a choice, I'd rather them know my working hours instead of my SS# and everything attached to it
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

This is the government. We want you to answer honestly the following questions. Failure to answer or answer honestly may result in you arrest and total destruction as a viable citizen.

Name:
Address:
SSN:
Mother's Maiden Name:
Mother's DOB:
Father's DOB:
Employer:
Job Title:
Anual Income:
Hours of Day you work:
do you own a home:
Mortgage:
Rent:
Do You own Car:
Make, Model:
Dependents:
DOB:
Do you have GUNS:

The U.S. Marshals office will be buy soon to determine if your answers are correct and to confiscate anything they deam necessary to keep you and your family safe. It may be necessary for them to break down your doors and destroy your home to do this.

Thank you for your concern and help.

Your friendly SOCIOLIST government.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Ouch ... now this would piss me off

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14687677/si ... ek/page/1/