Prepare to Deploy

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Vinny Vincenzo
Wanted Poster

Prepare to Deploy

Post by Vinny Vincenzo »

The first message was routine enough: a "Prepare to Deploy Order" sent through Naval communications channels to a submarine, an Aegis-class cruiser, two minesweepers and two minehunters.

The orders didn't actually command the ships out of port; they just said be ready to move by October 1.

A deployment of minesweepers to the east coast of Iran would seem to suggest that a much discussed, but until now largely theoretical, prospect has become real: that the U.S. may be preparing for war with Iran.

But inside the Navy those messages generated more buzz than usual last week when a second request, from the Chief of Naval Operations (CNO), asked for fresh eyes on long-standing U.S. plans to blockade two Iranian oil ports on the Persian Gulf
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

Yeah I read that article too. We've so thoroughly f**ked up the last two invasions that I'm almost more worried about our invading that I am of an Islamic bomb.

Have we ever had a president that's started three wars during his term in office?

And's what's up with short people. The President of Iran (I can't spell his name and won't even try) is 5'4". Napolean was short, so was Atilla the Hun. What is it with these damn midgits. Overcompensating for being sawed-off runts I guess.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

BigKahuna13 wrote:Yeah I read that article too. We've so thoroughly f**ked up the last two invasions that I'm almost more worried about our invading that I am of an Islamic bomb.

Have we ever had a president that's started three wars during his term in office?

And's what's up with short people. The President of Iran (I can't spell his name and won't even try) is 5'4". Napolean was short, so was Atilla the Hun. What is it with these damn midgits. Overcompensating for being sawed-off runts I guess.
Hitler was 5'9" ... that's short to me.

I think we started one war thus far, IMHO. Not sure where you're getting the additional war 'we' started?
ski_adk
Bumper

Post by ski_adk »

Well, you have to enforce trade sanctions somehow. If we're going to try to impose them, then we have to make sure they're actually followed. Naval blockade is the only way to go. Of course, that will be probably be considered an act of war by Iran - especially if the UN doesn't approve said sanctions.

Both, Bush and Ahmadinejad have decided that war is inevitable. They're both just looking for excuses now.
Vinny Vincenzo
Wanted Poster

Post by Vinny Vincenzo »

Right. Sanctions on a country that holds 10% of the world's confirmed oil reserves, OPEC's 2nd largest oil producer, and 2nd largest natural gas reserves. So much for cheap gas for the season.
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:Yeah I read that article too. We've so thoroughly f**ked up the last two invasions that I'm almost more worried about our invading that I am of an Islamic bomb.

Hitler was 5'9" ... that's short to me.

I think we started one war thus far, IMHO. Not sure where you're getting the additional war 'we' started?

Okay, I'll spell it out. We've gone to war with Afghanistan and Iraq so far. You can argue that the Taliban started the Afghan war with 9/11 and I won't argue. The third would be Iran should we go to war with them, as seems more probable today that it did even 3 months ago. Change "started a war" to "invaded a country" if it makes you feel better.

Point is simply that Mr. Bush throws our weight around way too much for my taste. Instead of making it his last resort option, it seems to be his option of choice.

yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

Looks like I am heading off to Iraq in the coming weeks. Probably going to take a job supporting an Army fixed wing aviation project that is currently flying out of Balad (it is a program called Airborne Reconnaissance Low - they fly Dash-7's of all things - what I refer to as "sitting ducks").

While definately a flying brick, the 7 can really loiter, and can take off and land on a dime which is why they selected it. The fact that John Elway with a grenade could take one down was secondary.

It is risky, but the pay is well over 200K while in country. I figure WTF may as well go over there on my own. The Corps offered me $50,000 and a bump to Major to return, all the while somehow implying that I should take the offer while it was 1) available, and 2) voluntary. My reply was that if they put me back in an F-18 I'd leave tomorrow. No such luck.
Thanks for the mammaries! (.)(.)
Vinny Vincenzo
Wanted Poster

Post by Vinny Vincenzo »

yeti wrote:Looks like I am heading off to Iraq in the coming weeks. Probably going to take a job supporting an Army fixed wing aviation project that is currently flying out of Balad (it is a program called Airborne Reconnaissance Low - they fly Dash-7's of all things - what I refer to as "sitting ducks").

While definately a flying brick, the 7 can really loiter, and can take off and land on a dime which is why they selected it. The fact that John Elway with a grenade could take one down was secondary.

It is risky, but the pay is well over 200K while in country. I figure WTF may as well go over there on my own. The Corps offered me $50,000 and a bump to Major to return, all the while somehow implying that I should take the offer while it was 1) available, and 2) voluntary. My reply was that if they put me back in an F-18 I'd leave tomorrow. No such luck.
Before you go, post your AOL Screenname. That's how I keep track of my nephews in Baghdad and Fallujah. Godspeed.
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

yeti wrote:Looks like I am heading off to Iraq in the coming weeks. Probably going to take a job supporting an Army fixed wing aviation project that is currently flying out of Balad (it is a program called Airborne Reconnaissance Low - they fly Dash-7's of all things - what I refer to as "sitting ducks").

The DeHavilland Dash-7? Damn. The thing's got an approach speed about what a C172 has. Sitting duck for sure.

Take care and keep your head down. How long you going to be there?

Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Vinny Vincenzo wrote:Right. Sanctions on a country that holds 10% of the world's confirmed oil reserves, OPEC's 2nd largest oil producer, and 2nd largest natural gas reserves. So much for cheap gas for the season.
A country that EXPORTS CRUDE, but IMPORTS MOST OF IT"S OIL PRODUCTS. AND, if you read the recent reports, their oil fields are circa 1970's and falling apart. If nothing is upgraded soon, they could be exporting sand.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

Godspeed Yeti... Godspeed
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Hope everything goes well for you over there, Yeti. Godspeed.
yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

Not to worry - when I am not in the air I will be in the rear with the gear. Should make for some good pics tho!
Vinny Vincenzo
Wanted Poster

Post by Vinny Vincenzo »

Japan & Israel Follow U.S. Actions Against Iran's Financial Network
By Andrew Cochran

On September 8, the U.S. Treasury Department announced it was effectively shutting out Bank Saderat, one of the largest Iranian-owned banks, from the U.S. financial system due to the bank's involvement in financing terrorism. Thereafter I posted comments from a senior Treasury Department official on the positive impact of U.S. terrorist designations. If you're wondering what difference the September 8 announcement makes, Iran has one answer - a lot, according to the head of the Iranian central bank: "This move may cause us to distance ourselves from (the dollar), and I'm sure other countries are looking at us. Even now we are using other currencies, and this encourages us to get away from the dollar. We also have very good relations with European banks." They wouldn't consider those measures unless the U.S. actions hurt.

You can also measure the impact by the actions of Japan and Israel, which have now openly followed up with actions of their own. Three Japanese major banks with branches in the U.S. will refrain from doing business with Bank Saderat, and other banks in Japan are expected to follow suit.

Last night, Israel raided a Jordanian-owned bank and 14 foreign exchange brokers in the West Bank to cut the transfer of Iranian funds to Palestinian militants. "The Israeli forces confiscated 5 million shekels ($1.15 million) and 170,000 Jordanian dinars ($240,000) in the operation and seized hundreds of documents." An Israeli spokeswoman said the brokers "had been transferring money from Iran and the Lebanese Hezbollah group to Hamas and Islamic Jihad to finance attacks on Israelis, purchase explosives and manufacture rockets" (quoting the article, not the spokeswoman). The targets included the single largest foreign exchange broker in the West Bank.

One response to the West Bank raids indicates how willing Palestinian brokers and bankers are to enable terrorists to transfer funds through their institutions. "I don’t ask my customers about their political background. They come and go. All I do is change money from one currency to another.” There's no Bank Secrecy Act/USA Patriot Act-like requirement to identify the customer, as there is in the U.S. and all other countries with major banking institutions.
yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

Whew - I am off to MEPS Baltimore tomorrow.... and Fort Benning on 23OCT.

Should be back by Halloween though. After that... it is hard to say.