No recent work experience WTF???

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
MarieM
Post Office

Post by MarieM »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
yeti wrote:XJ

You would be wrong. Moms returning to the workplace are very strongly sought out.
What are you basing this assumption on? hehe
"On what are you basing this assumption?"

(Sandeep Krishnamurthy, Adjunct faculty University of Washington:

"Overview

I knew Microsoft Word’s “Spelling and Grammar Check” feature was bad. However, I never realized how bad this feature really was until a student turned in a poorly written report that was “spellchecked” and “grammarchecked”. I have since tested this feature out hundreds of times. My conclusion is that the “Spelling and Grammar Check” feature on Microsoft Word is extraordinarily bad (especially the Grammar check part). It is so bad that I am surprised that it is even being offered and I question the ethics of including a feature that is this bad on a product that is so widely used.")

That's why mom's are valuable. We're up to any challenge!
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
Bubba wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote: Funny that you mentioned Spherion since they where the ones trying to help me land a job after I got layed off. Maybe I should contact them again.
No headhunter/search firm is trying to help you land a job. They're trying to fill positions that are given to them by their clients - employers. The only one trying to land you a job is you.
I am trying my hardest to get myself a job but with headhunters with this attitude I don't think I have a very good chance of landing a good one. I just received this reply today:

"Nothing right now as we are only looking for candidates with recent working experience. Good luck!"

They don't care if there was a good reason that you were not employed recently. Even going back to school does not count. :(
Given that kind of response from headhunters, networking is even more important. DMC just offered his help. Others might be able to help as well. I know you don't feel comfortable networking but that's what you're going to have to do. Call people you know and ask them to refer you to people you don't know. Call them using the name that referred you and ask them for more names. You need to sell yourself - whether you're comfortable doing it or not.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

Might also try the networking site LinkedIn.

It's a good site for re-connecting with old colleagues who may be able to help in your job search
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

BigKahuna13 wrote:Might also try the networking site LinkedIn.

It's a good site for re-connecting with old colleagues who may be able to help in your job search
I have been registered with Linkedin.com since last year and I have not gotten any leads from it.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Hey Admins, maybe it's time for a new forum - this is not a political issue - not everyone reads this forum and a new "Job Related Forum" may be very helpful in many ways - just a thought :wink: