JerseyGuy
Postinator

More GOP Scum

Post by JerseyGuy »

Scum. Irreedeemable scum.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/10/20/ ... index.html

More scum.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/10/20/ ... index.html

Yes, the GOP is desperate -- truly, truly desperate to distract the American public from the simple fact that they've f*** up just about everything they could get their hands on over the past few years. And it'll only get worse over the next 2 1/2 weeks. Time to pull out all of the loathsome stops...

... but hey, this is an open forum. I'd be curious to hear from our cast of characters from the right of the political spectrum. Any thoughts on either of these tactics?
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Not that I condone any of this, but are these any worse than the ad run against W using the dragging death of James Byrd in Texas?

Politics ain't beanbag, as someone once said.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

"I did not do this. I did not approve of any letter," Nguyen told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. He said he has since fired his campaign's office manager, who he said helped produce the mailer.
What else should he have done so you wouldn't call him scum?

As for the ad, politics is politics. They both have shitty/unethical statements almost daily.
JerseyGuy
Postinator

Post by JerseyGuy »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
"I did not do this. I did not approve of any letter," Nguyen told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. He said he has since fired his campaign's office manager, who he said helped produce the mailer.

As for the ad, politics is politics. They both have shitty/unethical statements almost daily.
Yeah, that's about what I figured. A lame "everybody does it" argument.

Oh, well. So much for a reasoned response from the right.

By the way, to answer your question: he should resign, as his own local GOP leaders have asked him to do.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

JerseyGuy wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:

Yeah, that's about what I figured. A lame "everybody does it" argument.

Oh, well. So much for a reasoned response from the right.

By the way, to answer your question: he should resign, as his own local GOP leaders have asked him to do.
I'm not 'the right'. Everyone says shitty things, so what? Why is it you've selected this particular commercial to make a statement? It's no less 'scummy' then ads the DNC puts out. Why the double standard?

I don't like the commercial, I don't think it's right, but I can say that about a lot of ads. You act like Republicans are the only scum ... Dem's are just as bad, that's why I would choose to appropriately label both parties as 'scum'.

He should resign because someone on his staff sent out a letter without his knowledge? What's your reasoning behind this? Guilty before proven innocent? 'Well the GOP said so'? I haven't been tracking the story, but has he admitted it was his fault? Has an investigation concluded Nguyen set the letters himself? After seeing some of the things code pink and moveon.org did on behalf of the DNC, I'm not the least bit surprised the RNC has their fairshare of nut jobs that do things like this without authorization.
JerseyGuy
Postinator

Post by JerseyGuy »

I'm not 'the right'.

All evidence from the last two or three years' worth of posts to the contrary. Although you have slightly moderated your positions over the past several weeks -- when it has been politically expedient to do so. All rats off the sinking GOP ship!

Everyone says shitty things, so what? Why is it you've selected this particular commercial to make a statement?

Why were these two news items "selected"? Because they were both in the news in the very same day. No more, no less. Hell, you don't have to dig very far to find examples like these, these days -- just look at the news headlines...

It's no less 'scummy' then ads the DNC puts out. Why the double standard?

Really? Examples, please.

I don't like the commercial, I don't think it's right, but I can say that about a lot of ads. You act like Republicans are the only scum ... Dem's are just as bad, that's why I would choose to appropriately label both parties as 'scum'.

Again: examples, please. Rather than defend the GOP tactics -- which you cannot do -- you simply say the problem is endemic to the system. It ain't. The Republicans have elevated tactics like these to the level or art form.

He should resign because someone on his staff sent out a letter without his knowledge? What's your reasoning behind this? Guilty before proven innocent? 'Well the GOP said so'? I haven't been tracking the story, but has he admitted it was his fault? Has an investigation concluded Nguyen set the letters himself?

By golly, you're right! Why would he resign? Despite the fact that Orange County's Republican Party chairman is convinced that Nguyen orchestrated the whole thing, despite the fact that the mail house that sent the letter has stated repeatedly that Nguyen was personally involved in the mailing, despite that fact that the local GOP has asked Nguyen to resign his candidacy becuase he's no longer "a welcome member of our party", I'm sure you're right. It would be a miscarriage of justice to persecute this poor man without a lengthy investigation, one that preferably starts after Election Day.

After seeing some of the things code pink and moveon.org did on behalf of the DNC, I'm not the least bit surprised the RNC has their fairshare of nut jobs that do things like this without authorization.

Ah... it was just a "bad apple" or two, someone acting alone and beyond the control of those GOP stalwarts who are supposedly in command of the situation. Hmmm. Where have we heard that argument before?
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

I haven't seen the ads, but why is any of this surprising. Some people claim that the compaign of 1800 remains one of the dirtiest ever, among other things the Federalists accused the Republicans of being murderers and church burners.

I'd point out that was only our second real election - the 2 that Washington won don't count as he ran unopposed - so it'd seem that dirty campaigning is in our blood.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

JerseyGuy wrote:I'm not 'the right'.

All evidence from the last two or three years' worth of posts to the contrary. Although you have slightly moderated your positions over the past several weeks -- when it has been politically expedient to do so. All rats off the sinking GOP ship!

As evident over the last several months. It has nothing to do with being 'politically expedient'. I change my opinion when my views change. Many have changed thanks to the knowledgable people that normally discuss politics here. I've been engaged in politics for three years, I don't know why it's a surprise that someone so green in the political sense would have a change in views/opinions? I'm certainly not a rat and I don't jump ship ... it's the kind of 'bumper sticker' generalizations like yours that make me laugh.

Everyone says shitty things, so what? Why is it you've selected this particular commercial to make a statement?

Why were these two news items "selected"? Because they were both in the news in the very same day. No more, no less. Hell, you don't have to dig very far to find examples like these, these days -- just look at the news headlines...

I don't feel either of these were 'big' stories. The biggest story of the year is the Republicans sucking, hardcore. What's bigger news? The democrats are doing nothing ... all these chances/oppurtunities to take charge and run with border security, social security, national security etc. What have they been doing?

It's no less 'scummy' then ads the DNC puts out. Why the double standard?

Really? Examples, please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND3FdwXgRSg

Again: examples, please. Rather than defend the GOP tactics -- which you cannot do -- you simply say the problem is endemic to the system. It ain't. The Republicans have elevated tactics like these to the level or art form.

Try looking at things in a different light. Why would I defend their ads, they're terrible. Art Form? It's marketing ... some things work some don't. Politics is marketing.

He should resign because someone on his staff sent out a letter without his knowledge? What's your reasoning behind this? Guilty before proven innocent? 'Well the GOP said so'? I haven't been tracking the story, but has he admitted it was his fault? Has an investigation concluded Nguyen set the letters himself?

By golly, you're right! Why would he resign? Despite the fact that Orange County's Republican Party chairman is convinced that Nguyen orchestrated the whole thing, despite the fact that the mail house that sent the letter has stated repeatedly that Nguyen was personally involved in the mailing, despite that fact that the local GOP has asked Nguyen to resign his candidacy becuase he's no longer "a welcome member of our party", I'm sure you're right. It would be a miscarriage of justice to persecute this poor man without a lengthy investigation, one that preferably starts after Election Day.

If you re-read what I wrote, I said I haven't been tracking the story. I wasn't aware of what you pointed out.

After seeing some of the things code pink and moveon.org did on behalf of the DNC, I'm not the least bit surprised the RNC has their fairshare of nut jobs that do things like this without authorization.

Ah... it was just a "bad apple" or two, someone acting alone and beyond the control of those GOP stalwarts who are supposedly in command of the situation. Hmmm. Where have we heard that argument before?
If you think the Republican party is the only scum in DC ... pass the pipe.
DMC_Freeride
Black Carver

Post by DMC_Freeride »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: I change my opinion when my views change.
Flip Flop?
"I asked you nicely to be nice. " - ShitSki

Thats like Hitler asking someone to buy kosher.

And now I am put on the Troll list like Diss was..
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

DMC_Freeride wrote:
Flip Flop?
Exactly! You can take a bow DMC ... you're one of the people that helped me see the light.

I am indeed a flip-flopper and it doesn't bother me to admit it either.
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: What's bigger news? The democrats are doing nothing ... all these chances/oppurtunities to take charge and run with border security, social security, national security etc. What have they been doing?
Not saying that they have any answer, but what do you expect for the party that is in the minority in both houses of congress? The Republicans have been the party in the position to direct policy.

I don't think the "Yeah, but what about the Dems..." argument helps you here.
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

Cityskier wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: What's bigger news? The democrats are doing nothing ... all these chances/oppurtunities to take charge and run with border security, social security, national security etc. What have they been doing?
Not saying that they have any answer, but what do you expect for the party that is in the minority in both houses of congress? The Republicans have been the party in the position to direct policy.

Even if the Democrats have absolutely no idea what to do at this point one of the biggest reasons to consider voting Democrat is simply because the Republicans have been in power long enough to only really care about one thing - remaining in power. There's nothing wrong with throwing out the old bad blood every so often.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

DMC_Freeride wrote:
Flip Flop?
And you never change our opinion or view? Come now, is LBJ the hero you once thought of him? Is Tricky Dicky really as bad as he was thougth to be, knowing what LBJ gave him? you can go on and on either way, but your opinion and views will change with time and information. If they do not, then you are stuck on STUPID.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

BigKahuna13 wrote:
Cityskier wrote:

Even if the Democrats have absolutely no idea what to do at this point one of the biggest reasons to consider voting Democrat is simply because the Republicans have been in power long enough to only really care about one thing - remaining in power. There's nothing wrong with throwing out the old bad blood every so often.
So, exactly where was this reasoning sometime between the 1930's and the 1990's? People say Bush is raising the deficit and over spending? Well, what about the f'n 50 f'n years of the "great society" and all the other BS shoved down our throats that spent BILLIONS, but we kept DEMOCRATS in office because they "cared". 50 f'n years of bs and now the Republicans have been in office too long. What a f'n joke!
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
DMC_Freeride
Black Carver

Post by DMC_Freeride »

Dr. NO wrote:
DMC_Freeride wrote:
Flip Flop?
And you never change our opinion or view? Come now, is LBJ the hero you once thought of him? Is Tricky Dicky really as bad as he was thougth to be, knowing what LBJ gave him? you can go on and on either way, but your opinion and views will change with time and information. If they do not, then you are stuck on STUPID.
Easy ther big guy... Wasnt talking about me... So leave me the F out of it..

Exjib got what I was saying...
I defend people changing thier minds...
"I asked you nicely to be nice. " - ShitSki

Thats like Hitler asking someone to buy kosher.

And now I am put on the Troll list like Diss was..