Who does this sound like?

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Who does this sound like?

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Hey JerseyGuy ... I hate to name call, but if you want scum .. read below. I'm glad Kerry won't run in 08', I'd rather have some alternative like Obama running for president.
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Republicans unleashed a firestorm of criticism Tuesday against Sen. John Kerry after the Vietnam veteran told college students they'd "get stuck in Iraq" if they didn't work hard in school.

Kerry later said the remark was a "botched joke" meant to target the president, not U.S. troops.

Before the clarification, White House press secretary Tony Snow, House Majority Leader John Boehner and Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, lambasted the four-term senator and demanded he apologize. (Watch Kerry's 'botched joke' that launched the political stink -- 1:50 Video)

A CNN poll suggests that Iraq is the second-most important issue behind the economy as voters ponder for whom to cast their ballots in next week's midterms.

"This is an absolute insult," Snow said at a daily press briefing. "Senator Kerry not only owes an apology to those who are serving, but also to the families of those who've given their lives in this."

Boehner said the remark was "insulting" and called on "Democrat candidates across the country" to publicly denounce the comment.

"These Americans who are risking their lives in the fight against terrorism in Iraq deserve better than to have their service demeaned by a United States senator," Boehner said in a statement. "Our soldiers need John Kerry's support, yet John Kerry offers nothing more than disparaging commentary."

Kerry, who is not up for re-election this year, fired back at the White House and GOP, saying he was not disparaging U.S. soldiers.

"If anyone thinks a veteran would criticize the more than 140,000 heroes serving in Iraq and not the president who got us stuck there, they're crazy," he said. "No Democrat will be bullied by an administration that has a cut-and-run policy in Afghanistan and a stand-still-and-lose strategy in Iraq."

Kerry, the 2004 Democratic presidential candidate, spoke to students at Pasadena City College in California on Monday.

According to the San Gabriel Valley Tribune, the senator took the stage to roaring applause before regaling the crowd with one-liners, Bush barbs and tales of surfing at nearby Mission Beach.

He then said: "You know, education -- if you make the most of it, you study hard and you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well.

"If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq."

A Kerry aide told CNN that the prepared statement, which had been designed to criticize President Bush, "was mangled in delivery."

Kerry was supposed to say, "I can't overstress the importance of a great education. Do you know where you end up if you don't study, if you aren't smart, if you're intellectually lazy? You end up getting us stuck in a war in Iraq."

Before the announcement that the statement was botched, McCain, a Vietnam veteran and former prisoner of war, joined his GOP colleagues in condemning the remark and demanding an apology.

"Senator Kerry owes an apology to the many thousands of Americans serving in Iraq, who answered their country's call because they are patriots and not because of any deficiencies in their education," McCain said in a statement.

U.S. troops "deserve our respect and deepest gratitude for their service," he added and said the notion that only those with poor educations serve in the Iraq "is an insult to every soldier serving in combat."

"Without them, we wouldn't live in a country where people securely possess all their God-given rights, including the right to express insensitive, ill-considered and uninformed remarks," McCain said.

But Kerry refused to relent, calling the criticism part of the "classic GOP playbook."

"I'm not going to be lectured by a stuffed-suit White House mouthpiece standing behind a podium, or doughy Rush Limbaugh, who no doubt today will take a break from belittling Michael J. Fox's Parkinson's disease to start lying about me just as they have lied about Iraq."

He further expressed disgust with "Republican hacks, who have never worn the uniform of our country."

//McCain is a hacks who has never wore the uniform?

Kerry added that President Bush and Vice President Cheney "owe our troops an apology" because they "misled America into war."

Bush and Cheney "have given us a Katrina foreign policy that has betrayed our ideals, killed and maimed our soldiers, and widened the terrorist threat instead of defeating it," the senator said.
RJSVermont
Slalom Racer

Post by RJSVermont »

You seem to be comparing apples and oranges there buddy. Not to defend any politician since they're all some level of scum but it seems to be unintentional and of course the "caught in a flat spin" Republicans and their media outlets are going to put a nice little spin on it. To say this is along the lines of threatening minority voters is quite a stretch.

Dubya and other politicians never flub speeches, no, never

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0ZoZ-8E ... ed&search=
Some things just can't be bought......
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

unintentional my ass! John Kerry is an asshole of major proportions. Maybe it was a screwed up joke, but Mr. educated screwed it up and alianated every VET and active duty MILITARY PERSON in our country. He is a true asshole.

He made a statement that had a Republican had made every f'n Democrat would be screaming for a retraction, appollogy and resignation. But no, this pompus ass from Tax a two shits says "I WILL NOT APPOLOGIZE". HE OWES EVERY F"N VETEREN AND SERVICE PERSON AN APPOLOGY!

I plan on e-mailing his office tomorrow regarding this. It ain't about politics, it is about loyalty to those who served, are serving and Country. He obviosly has no loyalty.

If you agree he screwed up, I ask you to e-mail John F'n Kerry's office to tell him he screwed up and that he OWES US AN APPOLOGY!
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

If I could, for a moment, interject...

I'd like to propose a moment of silence for Dr. NO's sanity. It has obviously gone irretrievably off the tracks, lost forever in the thickets of brush and deep woods that line the mental rails of life. :lol:

Thank you. Carry on.......
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Bubba wrote:If I could, for a moment, interject...

I'd like to propose a moment of silence for Dr. NO's sanity. It has obviously gone irretrievably off the tracks, lost forever in the thickets of brush and deep woods that line the mental rails of life. :lol:

I think you have thought this fo pa (sp) is just a mistake on Mr. Kerry's part. I think this is a major blunder that many Vets and active duty persons, already upset with Mr. Swift Boat, will take to heart. In no way was his statement directed at administration or policy, but directly at those who serve or have served this country.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

Kerry claims that his comments were directed at the President. I don't know whether he's lying or not but if you listen to the entire quote and not just the sound bit he may well have been referring to the President and not the troops.

In any case even if he's full of sh*t, at least his comments aren't getting people killed, unlike Bush's stupid ass decisions.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

BigKahuna13 wrote:Kerry claims that his comments were directed at the President. I don't know whether he's lying or not but if you listen to the entire quote and not just the sound bit he may well have been referring to the President and not the troops.

In any case even if he's full of sh*t, at least his comments aren't getting people killed, unlike Bush's stupid ass decisions.
If Kerry mis-spoke (which he says he did) he should apologize for any confusion he may have caused vis-a-vis a press conference.

Congress helped put the soldiers in Iraq, it wasn't just a 'Bush Decision'.
JerseyGuy
Postinator

Post by JerseyGuy »

Dr. NO wrote:
Bubba wrote:If I could, for a moment, interject...

I think you have thought this fo pa (sp) is just a mistake on Mr. Kerry's part. I think this is a major blunder that many Vets and active duty persons, already upset with Mr. Swift Boat, will take to heart. In no way was his statement directed at administration or policy, but directly at those who serve or have served this country.
You know what? Normally, I don't respond to the inane moronic drivel that comes from Dr. No's keyboard. But on this one, I will. And I will be politically incorrect:

IF THERE ARE ARE VETS OUT THERE WHO BELIEVED THE LYING SWIFT BOAT CRAP AND ALSO BELIEVE THAT KERRY DIRECTED THIS COMMENT AT VETS, THEN I SAY f*** 'EM. APPARENTLY, THEY ARE TOO STUPID TO WIN OVER WITH LOGICAL ARGUMENTS AND, YOU KNOW, THE TRUTH.

This includes Dr. No.

I don't care if you served our country -- if you're an idiot, you're STILL an idiot, even if you fought the good fight. No one gets a free pass.

And, JibJab, I'm still waiting for your examples of DNC ads that are just as despicable as the RNC examples. A botched joke doesn't count, unless you also believe that Bush meant what he said about his administration "thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people."
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

JerseyGuy wrote:And, JibJab, I'm still waiting for your examples of DNC ads that are just as despicable as the RNC examples. A botched joke doesn't count, unless you also believe that Bush meant what he said about his administration "thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people."
I'll be sure to post one when I get one.

As for a botched joke ... if you mis-speak and deliver a joke that's harmful to others even though you didn't intend it to be, you apologize. At least that's how I was brought up. Your standards might not be so high.
JerseyGuy
Postinator

Post by JerseyGuy »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
JerseyGuy wrote:And, JibJab, I'm still waiting for your examples of DNC ads that are just as despicable as the RNC examples. A botched joke doesn't count, unless you also believe that Bush meant what he said about his administration "thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people."

As for a botched joke ... if you mis-speak and deliver a joke that's harmful to others even though you didn't intend it to be, you apologize. At least that's how I was brought up. Your standards might not be so high.
How about if you mis-plan and deliver a war that's harmful to others even though you didn't intend it to be (and I may be overly generous here)? Do you apologize for that? Or do you stay "resolute", "stay the course", never look back, and be a manly man who never reviews his own actions and is incapable of admitting when he's wrong -- which is pretty damned often?

For God's sake, which is worse?

Don't even try to get into a "standards" argument, here. You're barking up the wrong tree.
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:Kerry claims that his comments were directed at the President. I don't know whether he's lying or not but if you listen to the entire quote and not just the sound bit he may well have been referring to the President and not the troops.

If Kerry mis-spoke (which he says he did) he should apologize for any confusion he may have caused vis-a-vis a press conference.

Congress helped put the soldiers in Iraq, it wasn't just a 'Bush Decision'.
It was a Bush decision. Congress failed to do it's job - they are the only one's who can declare war - when they effectively punted with the AUMF but it was a Bush decision and it's been Bush and his people who've completely mismanaged the effort.

The whole Kerry thing is nothing more than a drowning Republican party grasping at straws.

Compare a comment that may have inadvertently pissed off some thin skinned vets against more than 2000 dead Americans, 300,000+ dead Iraqis and god knows how many maimed people and you tell me who the bigger villian is.
Last edited by BigKahuna13 on Nov 1st, '06, 08:47, edited 1 time in total.

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

JerseyGuy wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:

How about if you mis-plan and deliver a war that's harmful to others even though you didn't intend it to be (and I may be overly generous here)? Do you apologize for that? Or do you stay "resolute", "stay the course", never look back, and be a manly man who never reviews his own actions and is incapable of admitting when he's wrong -- which is pretty damned often?

For God's sake, which is worse?

Don't even try to get into a "standards" argument, here. You're barking up the wrong tree.
What Kerry actually said was wrong and harmful to others, it's clear you agree with that otherwise you'd say something about the topic at hand.

If I was given the chance again I wouldn't have voted for GWB, we should be working on getting out of Iraq and I feel we're currently moving in that direction. I'm not sure how congress should handle apologizing for the war. That's a question you'd have to ask your state representatives.

Which is worse, obviously GWB terrible handling of the war. However, what were talking about right now is what Kerry say about the troops, alluding that they're un-intelligent. Maybe it was a mistake, but according to his press conference yesterday, no apology was made for the mis-spoken and alleged joke.

Ooohhhh, I'm trembling now ... panties are in a bunch. Should I take that as some kind of threat? Clearly, you can't answer the simple question at hand, so I question your standards.

The question at hand, to be clear, is whether Kerry should apologize for the way his joke was delivered and make it crystal clear what he intended to say.
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
The question at hand, to be clear, is whether Kerry should apologize for the way his joke was delivered and make it crystal clear what he intended to say.
1. Assume that Kerry's telling the truth and his statement was aimed at Bush.
Why should he or anyone apologize because someone chooses to misinterpret his statement?

2. He has already made his intended meaning crystal clear

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

BigKahuna13 wrote: It was a Bush decision. Congress failed to do it's job - they are the only one's who can declare war - when they effectively punted with the AUMF but it was a Bush decision and it's been Bush and his people who've completely mismanaged the effort.
That's what's so beautiful about the system of checks and balances (or tragic in this case), both the president and congress have failed the American people and all should be held to account.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

BigKahuna13 wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
1. Assume that Kerry's telling the truth and his statement was aimed at Bush.
Why should he or anyone apologize because someone chooses to misinterpret his statement?

2. He has already made his intended meaning crystal clear
1.) That might be clear to him, but listening to the media and others, it's not clear what he meant at all. Hence, at his press conference yesterday he should have made it clear what he intended and then move to his diatribe. He shouldn't apologize for what he meant to say, he should apologize for how he delivered it. I'm not misinterpreting what he said ... he said this:
You know, education -- if you make the most of it, you study hard and you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well.

"If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq."
He was speaking to students ... all I see is the use of "you", referring to the students ... not a President, Sec of Defense, etc.

2.) Read his press release and then post it here, we'll see how crystal clear he made it.

If he was so crystal clear ... why is he canceling his appearances to appear with Democrats running in this months election?
"The White House's attempt to distort my true statement is a remarkable testament to their abject failure in making America safe," the senator said. "It's a stunning statement about their willingness to reduce anything in America to raw politics." (Watch Kerry say he won't apologize for criticizing the president and "his broken policy" -- 9:33 Video)

A number of top Democrats said they were upset with the senator for giving the Republicans election-time ammunition -- even if the GOP was hyping the remark.

"He has already cost us one election. The guy just needs to keep his mouth shut until after the election," a top Democratic strategist said Tuesday. (Watch how Kerry's gaffe may be a gift for the GOP -- 3:00 Video)