voting shenanigans?

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
DMC_Freeride
Black Carver

voting shenanigans?

Post by DMC_Freeride »

A friend of mine was trying to cast a vote for Liberman in CT this morning and the lever wouldn't work... All the other levers worked.. He told the cop - the cop told him to reset the vote use another machine.. They promtly closed it off...

His wife just went to the same polling place(shes been voting there since the 70's) and her name wasn't on the list... :roll:
"I asked you nicely to be nice. " - ShitSki

Thats like Hitler asking someone to buy kosher.

And now I am put on the Troll list like Diss was..
Bubba
Site Admin

Re: voting shenanigans?

Post by Bubba »

DMC_Freeride wrote:A friend of mine was trying to cast a vote for Liberman in CT this morning and the lever wouldn't work... All the other levers worked.. He told the cop - the cop told him to reset the vote use another machine.. They promtly closed it off...

His wife just went to the same polling place(shes been voting there since the 70's) and her name wasn't on the list... :roll:
A Democrat plot in CT to help Lamont? Jeez, I thought only Republicans got accused of vote tampering and voter fraud.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
DMC_Freeride
Black Carver

Post by DMC_Freeride »

Bubba wrote:
DMC_Freeride wrote:A friend of mine was trying to cast a vote for Liberman in CT this morning and the lever wouldn't work... All the other levers worked.. He told the cop - the cop told him to reset the vote use another machine.. They promtly closed it off...

A Democrat plot in CT to help Lamont? Jeez, I thought only Republicans got accused of vote tampering and voter fraud.
Tampering by anyone is inexcusable..

Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

DMC_Freeride wrote:
Bubba wrote:

Yep....please tell folks like Howard Dean and Jesse Jackson that Republicans and Democrats are equal opportunity tamperers. Thank you.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

DMC_Freeride wrote:
Bubba wrote:

Records get lost and machines break. I doubt anyone tampered with anything. And how would they know which person to remove from a voting list. I may be a registered Republican, but once again I held my nose and voted for JOE. Had someon managed to mess with it and keep my vote off, JOE might lose. OR, maybe I would have voted for NED, NOT!
Last edited by Dr. NO on Nov 7th, '06, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
DMC_Freeride
Black Carver

Post by DMC_Freeride »

Bubba wrote:
DMC_Freeride wrote:
Bubba wrote:

Yep....please tell folks like Howard Dean and Jesse Jackson that Republicans and Democrats are equal opportunity tamperers. Thank you.
I'll get right on that.. :roll:

DMC_Freeride
Black Carver

Post by DMC_Freeride »

Dr. NO wrote:
DMC_Freeride wrote:
Bubba wrote:

Records get lost and machines break. I doubt anyone tampered with anything. And how would they know which person to remove from a voting list. I may be a registered Republican, but once again I held my nose and voted for JOE. Had someon managed to mess with it and keep my vote off, JOE might lose. OR, maybe I would have voted for NED, NOT!
I asked - he and is wife are independents..

I'm just pointing it out.. If enough of these stories emerge then maybe there's something to it..

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

It's laughable that public companies are held to SOX standards for auditing to ensure another Enron doesn't occur, but the vote for some of the most powerful representatives of the World's only super-power goes without audit :roll:
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

Voting shenanigans and just plain sloppiness have been with us for about 225 years now. Everyone should recognize that. Saving grace is that - allegedly - the expected rate of miscounts and fraud don't appear to materially affect most electoral outcomes.

(not sure that I believe that fwiw, but it does make a nice fairytale)
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

BigKahuna13 wrote:Voting shenanigans and just plain sloppiness have been with us for about 225 years now. Everyone should recognize that. Saving grace is that - allegedly - the expected rate of miscounts and fraud don't appear to materially affect most electoral outcomes.

(not sure that I believe that fwiw, but it does make a nice fairytale)
Clear cases of fraudulent victories:
Lyndon Johnson's first Senate race.
JFK's win in Illinois in 1960, giving him the Presidency

Maybe?(depending on who you believe):
Dubya's 2000 win in Florida
Dubya's 2004 win in Ohio

Assorted Senate, House and lots of other races throughout our history have been decide or influenced by fraud and error. And this doesn't even speak to keeping blacks in the South from voting for almost 100 years following Reconstruction.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

DMC_Freeride
Black Carver

Post by DMC_Freeride »

I'm happy to announce that my vote was cast on the old lever machine in the Hunter Village Hall of Hunter NY... :D

After a brief conversation about the new streets and lights in town with the mayor (who had just voted) and a sigh of releif that my name was on the list.. I noded to the nice old man with all the WWII badges and closed the curtains..

I love the small town voting thing.. Now it's time to sit back and watch..

Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

LOL...I went to the Killington Town Offices, paid my November property tax installment just to get myself in the right mood, then went to vote. Your name is checked against a list of registered voters after which you're then given a card where you black out a circle next to the name of the person you want to vote for (kind of like an SAT test) and you then put your card into an electronic reader. You give another person your name on the way out and they check your name once again. The system works.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

DMC_Freeride
Black Carver

Post by DMC_Freeride »

Life in a ski town... :)

MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Bubba wrote:LOL...I went to the Killington Town Offices, paid my November property tax installment just to get myself in the right mood, then went to vote. Your name is checked against a list of registered voters after which you're then given a card where you black out a circle next to the name of the person you want to vote for (kind of like an SAT test) and you then put your card into an electronic reader. You give another person your name on the way out and they check your name once again. The system works.
. . . and here, in our little country town in MA, it is the same 8) :wink: 8)
powbmps
Bumper

Post by powbmps »

Where I live in NH you 'X' the ballot with a pencil and put it in an open wooden box. I asked why pens weren't used. "It's tradition".

I saw a guy in the back room with a pile of ballots and a large eraser....