I didn't vote today

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Steve
Wanted Poster

I didn't vote today

Post by Steve »

I haven't been keeping up with the issues or the candidates.
So I decided that I was not qualified to make choices that could potentially effect my neighbor's lives.
I hope my neighbors feel the same way, but I doubt it.

I hate the "get out and vote" campaigns. I'd rather see a "get out and learn" campaign - and people who learn about politics will naturally participate.

-steve
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Re: I didn't vote today

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Steve wrote:I haven't been keeping up with the issues or the candidates.
So I decided that I was not qualified to make choices that could potentially effect my neighbor's lives.
I hope my neighbors feel the same way, but I doubt it.

I hate the "get out and vote" campaigns. I'd rather see a "get out and learn" campaign - and people who learn about politics will naturally participate.

-steve
Was in Suburban station today and overheard two woman asking who won and who they voted for. Then they said "I think he's the mayor, wait no isn't he the governor?"

:roll:

I wish more people were like you Steve ... if you're clueless about what's going on, should you really vote? Although, I think you probably knew more then enough to make a decision ... you're a knowledgeable guy, unfortunately these women were clueless and there are plenty more like em
Steve
Wanted Poster

Post by Steve »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Although, I think you probably knew more then enough to make a decision ... you're a knowledgeable guy,
Before monday, I didn't know that there was a gubernatorial election in New York. Didn't know that Hillary was up for reelection either.

I said, "gee - I guess I better not vote."
DMC_Freeride
Black Carver

Post by DMC_Freeride »

Steve wrote:Before monday, I didn't know that there was a gubernatorial election in New York. Didn't know that Hillary was up for reelection either.

wow.... that kinda depresses me...
I always look to you for your opinion on matters of government.. And to think you were that far removed from the process is disturbing to me...
"I asked you nicely to be nice. " - ShitSki

Thats like Hitler asking someone to buy kosher.

And now I am put on the Troll list like Diss was..
KBL Ed
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by KBL Ed »

Steve wrote:I hate the "get out and vote" campaigns. I'd rather see a "get out and learn" campaign - and people who learn about politics will naturally participate.
I agree. Also, I think a lot of the problems with congress (both parties) would self-correct if just more people voted with some semi-clue of what goes on. Unfortunately, most people don't, and that's why congress gets away with what it does. :(

I "abstained" from voting on a couple items on the ballot, as I had no idea what was going on, but still voted on the items I knew something about.
RJSVermont
Slalom Racer

Post by RJSVermont »

Didn't get to vote yesterday either. I took my mother-in-law into Boston for her treatment at Dana Farber and we had to wait there so long that we didn't get back in time.
Some things just can't be bought......
KBL Ed

Post by KBL Ed »

RJSVermont wrote:Didn't get to vote yesterday either. I took my mother-in-law into Boston for her treatment at Dana Farber and we had to wait there so long that we didn't get back in time.
LOL!! Travis didn't vote?!?? :lol:
Es war sehr schoen.
Over ten years... not including RSN or K-Chat. Way too much time wasted.
Smell you later.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

KBL Ed wrote:
Steve wrote:I hate the "get out and vote" campaigns. I'd rather see a "get out and learn" campaign - and people who learn about politics will naturally participate.
I agree. Also, I think a lot of the problems with congress (both parties) would self-correct if just more people voted with some semi-clue of what goes on. Unfortunately, most people don't, and that's why congress gets away with what it does. :(

I "abstained" from voting on a couple items on the ballot, as I had no idea what was going on, but still voted on the items I knew something about.[/quote]

Totally agree, same here; hence, why I know I read through my whole ballot and do not recall the Iraq war question - was it on your ballot KBL?
KBL Ed

Post by KBL Ed »

No, but I heard it was on the ballot in Arlington.
Steve
Wanted Poster

Post by Steve »

DMC_Freeride wrote:
Steve wrote:Before monday, I didn't know that there was a gubernatorial election in New York. Didn't know that Hillary was up for reelection either.

I always look to you for your opinion on matters of government.. And to think you were that far removed from the process is disturbing to me...
I'm just so resigned about the whole "two corrupt unprincipled parties are in control" situation.. and even now when it's so obvious, people continue to vote for one of the two corrupt unprincipled parties. I don't see it changing anytime soon.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Steve wrote:
DMC_Freeride wrote:

I'm just so resigned about the whole "two corrupt unprincipled parties are in control" situation.. and even now when it's so obvious, people continue to vote for one of the two corrupt unprincipled parties. I don't see it changing anytime soon.
Until we have a means and will to limit terms and remove politicians, and their appointed croanies, the system will never change. The names and how some things get screwed up may differ, but the overall picture will never change. They will protect themselves and their perks and friends. They will over spend our money. And They will over tax our system. Vote all the bums out and start over. Also, make government a Part Time Job.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

Clueless or not, voting is still your right, privilege, obligation, birthright, and moral duty.

Christ. Tighten up and read a goddamn newspaper if you are so damn worried about making bad choices.

Do you think the rednecks in 1800 who could not read were any more qualified than yourself to vote? No. Hell if they saw a newpaper once a year they were lucky. But they were still willing to grow a pair and lay it on the line just for the opportunity to make their mark.

This is what I am fighting for?
Thanks for the mammaries! (.)(.)
Steve
Wanted Poster

Post by Steve »

yeti wrote:This is what I am fighting for?
yeah, that's the worst part. who are you actually fighting for?

these politicians? I wouldn't invite most of them into my house.

-steve
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

yeti wrote:Clueless or not, voting is still your right, privilege, obligation, birthright, and moral duty.

Christ. Tighten up and read a goddamn newspaper if you are so damn worried about making bad choices.

Do you think the rednecks in 1800 who could not read were any more qualified than yourself to vote? No. Hell if they saw a newpaper once a year they were lucky. But they were still willing to grow a pair and lay it on the line just for the opportunity to make their mark.

This is what I am fighting for?
No disrespect intended, but is this what's under attack? The Iraqi's were imminently going to snatch my freedom out from under me? My liberty was endangered by a regime we equipped and emboldened?

I just don't understand the argument. I personally see a large gap between reality and the rhetoric.

Good luck and stay safe.