Democrats begin to implode already?

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Bubba
Site Admin

Democrats begin to implode already?

Post by Bubba »

Not sure I understand why Nancy Pelosi would support Murtha when Hoyer was already the front runner but it looks like she just lost her first vote immediately after becoming Speaker. Has she weakened herself from the get go?

House Democrats Name Hoyer to No. 2 Post

Updated 12:07 PM ET November 16, 2006

By ANDREW TAYLOR

WASHINGTON (AP) - House Democrats on Thursday chose Maryland Rep. Steny Hoyer to be House majority leader over Rep. John Murtha, the choice of Rep. Nancy Pelosi, in line to become speaker.

Hoyer was elected on a vote of 149-86.

The balloting marked a personal triumph for him, but also a snub to Pelosi, moments after the rank and file selected her unanimously to become speaker when the House convenes in January.

"We made history and now we will make progress for the American people," Pelosi told the party caucus moments after her selection.

She vowed that after 12 years in the minority, "we will not be dazzled by money and special interests."
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Re: Democrats begin to implode already?

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Bubba wrote:She vowed that after 12 years in the minority, "we will not be dazzled by money and special interests."
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

With that load of BS said, maybe she's serious about it ... that would rule out Murtha ...
John Murtha is a seventeenth-term member of Congress, representing the 12th district of Pennsylvania. His ethics issues stem from abuse of his position as Ranking Member of the Defense Appropriations Subcommittee of the House Appropriations Committee to benefit clients of his brother, Robert “Kit” Murtha, a registered lobbyist.

KSA Consulting

In 2002, Kit Murtha was hired by KSA Consulting, a firm that lobbies the Defense Appropriations Subcommittee on behalf of defense contractors. Mr. Murtha joined the firm at the invitation of top KSA official Carmen Scialabba, who had worked for Rep. Murtha on the House Appropriations Committee for 27 years.

In 2004, Congress passed a $417 billion defense appropriations bill that went through Rep. Murtha’s subcommittee. The bill benefitted at least 10 companies represented by KSA and KSA directly lobbied Rep. Murtha’s office on behalf of seven of those companies, which received a total $20.8 million in earmarks.

PMA Group

Paul Magliocchetti worked with Rep. Murtha as a senior staffer on the Appropriations Committee Subcommittee on Defense for 10 years. After leaving the committee, Mr. Magliocchetti founded the PMA Group, which has become one of the most prominent Washington, D.C. defense lobbying firms. In the current campaign cycle, the PMA Group and 12 of the firm’s clients rank in the top 20 contributors to Rep. Murtha, having made campaign contributions totaling $274,649. In turn, many of PMA’s clients have benefited significantly from Rep. Murtha’s earmarks. In the 2006 Defense appropriations bill, PMA clients received at least 60 earmarks, totaling $95.1 million.

House ethics rules prohibit members from taking any official actions for the prospect of personal gain for themselves or anyone else. In addition, Rule XXIII of the House Ethics Manual requires all members of the House to conduct themselves “at all times in a manner that reflects creditably on the House.” By earmarking funds for companies represented by Kit Murtha and Paul Magliocchetti, Rep. Murtha has violated House rules.
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

According to the Times Murtha ran her campaign for whip in 2001. Maybe she felt she owed him her support. Having a reputation for doing the right thing by people who've been standup for you is hardly the worst thing you can say about a politician.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

And in the other corner, making quite a comeback!

We're just pretty much screwed no matter what.
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

Cityskier wrote:And in the other corner, making quite a comeback!

We're just pretty much screwed no matter what.
Amen. Democrats suck. Republicans suck. Everyone should vote Libertarian. :)

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

BigKahuna13 wrote: Amen. Democrats suck. Republicans suck. Everyone should vote Libertarian. :)
I looked through the wiki definition of Libertarian and I agree with a lot of Libertarian values ... so you got my vote. BK for president!
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Now, in addition to Pelosi pushing Murtha over Hoyer and losing, James Carville is calling for the firing of Howard Dean as DNC Chair and the Blue Dog Democrats from the south are pushing Jane Harmon as Chair of the House Intelligence Committee over Alcee Hastings.

"I belong to no organized political party. I'm a Democrat." :lol:
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote: Amen. Democrats suck. Republicans suck. Everyone should vote Libertarian. :)
I looked through the wiki definition of Libertarian and I agree with a lot of Libertarian values ... so you got my vote. BK for president!
I'd never get elected. Too many skeletons in the closet :)