I gotta stop ordering hummus and pita on planes...

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
DMC_Freeride
Black Carver

I gotta stop ordering hummus and pita on planes...

Post by DMC_Freeride »

Homeland Security tracks travelers' meals
http://www.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/11/30/tr ... index.html

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Without notifying the public, federal agents have assigned millions of international travelers, including Americans, computer-generated scores rating the risk they pose of being terrorists or criminals.

The travelers are not allowed to see or directly challenge these risk assessments. The government intends to keep the scores on file for 40 years.

The scores are assigned to people entering and leaving the United States after computers assess their travel records, including where they are from, how they paid for tickets, their motor vehicle records, past one-way travel, seating preference and what kind of meal they ordered

:lol:
"I asked you nicely to be nice. " - ShitSki

Thats like Hitler asking someone to buy kosher.

And now I am put on the Troll list like Diss was..
ski_adk
Bumper

Post by ski_adk »

The travelers are not allowed to see or directly challenge these risk assessments. The government intends to keep the scores on file for 40 years.
Thankfully, the Patriot Act is only a short-term inconvenience. It's only half your life time.

Oh yeah, so much for the 5th Amendment...
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

ski_adk wrote:
Thankfully, the Patriot Act is only a short-term inconvenience. It's only half your life time.

Oh yeah, so much for the 5th Amendment...
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
[/quote

Just curious. Where do you see a 5th amendment issue?

I just home they don't start looking at restaurants that you frequent. I like Middle Eastern food and occasionally visit an Afghani and Moroccan place in the neighborhood.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

ski_adk
Bumper

Post by ski_adk »

I'm not a lawyer, so, maybe my layman's point of view is a bit skewed. When I read "nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law" I interpret that the government is not allowed to infringe on my freedom without due process of law.

Wikipedia says the following about due process:
Procedural due process is essentially based on the concept of "fundamental fairness". As construed by the courts, it includes an individual's right to be adequately notified of charges or proceedings involving him, and the opportunity to be heard at these proceedings. Procedural due process has also been an important factor in the development of the law of personal jurisdiction.
It's a cornerstone of our Constitutional government. Our government can't just go ahead and start taking away individuals' freedoms without a fair and speedy trial. Let alone the whole "double-secret probation" bullshiat.
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

ski_adk wrote:I'm not a lawyer, so, maybe my layman's point of view is a bit skewed. When I read "nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law" I interpret that the government is not allowed to infringe on my freedom without due process of law.

Wikipedia says the following about due process:
Procedural due process is essentially based on the concept of "fundamental fairness". As construed by the courts, it includes an individual's right to be adequately notified of charges or proceedings involving him, and the opportunity to be heard at these proceedings. Procedural due process has also been an important factor in the development of the law of personal jurisdiction.
It's a cornerstone of our Constitutional government. Our government can't just go ahead and start taking away individuals' freedoms without a fair and speedy trial. Let alone the whole "double-secret probation" bullshiat.
Agreed, but my equally layman interpretation is that the fifth doesn't apply because no one's being deprived of anything. Being denied boarding isn't as far as I know depriving you of liberty, airlines can deny passage to anyone they see fit to.

There may well be privacy issues involved and, even if there aren't, the whole thing may be nothing more than a stupid waste of time and money,
but that's a different discussion.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

DMC_Freeride
Black Carver

Post by DMC_Freeride »

BigKahuna13 wrote:I just home they don't start looking at restaurants that you frequent. I like Middle Eastern food and occasionally visit an Afghani and Moroccan place in the neighborhood.
Hummus, carrots and pita are the best food options on a plane for me.. Anytime I flew Continental I order the vegitarian option and thats what I always got...

I'm not a vegitariain but I find it to be way better then the other slop they serve... If your EVEN flying on a flight that actually serves food...

All I wanted to do was eat healthy... And now I'm probably on a list... A list I can't remove my name from... :)
"I asked you nicely to be nice. " - ShitSki

Thats like Hitler asking someone to buy kosher.

And now I am put on the Troll list like Diss was..
ABushismaDay
Blue Chatterbox

Post by ABushismaDay »

So the government issues you a rating and you are not allowed to see it. Do you think a freedom of information request on yourself would have to include this?
This bussiness will get out of Hand!
JerseyGuy
Postinator

Post by JerseyGuy »

Oh, hell, this is an easy one: just order a big side of "Freedom Fries": with a heavy Arabic accent. And when they arrive, eat them while muttering to yourself in a non-descript foreign accent while fondling the utensils.

That'll throw 'em off.
ski_adk
Bumper

Post by ski_adk »

ABushismaDay wrote:So the government issues you a rating and you are not allowed to see it. Do you think a freedom of information request on yourself would have to include this?
Probably not since most terrorism projects are typically classified.