NYC Bans Transfat

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

NYC Bans Transfat

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

With everything else the gov't could be doing (i.e. Implementing changes that were recommended by the 9/11 commission) local gov't has choose to insert more gov't presence in our life and taken the opportunity to tell NYC goers that they can't have trans fat. Not only that, but NYC gov't is mandating that all fast food have caloric intake posted on fast food containers ... as if any of us were clueless as to a Big Mac being unhealthy.

Next up, gov't will be telling us that fast food is illegal.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Sorry XJibber, but I am glad they are banning transfats - not all people know how bad they are for them so this measure may improve the health of those people.
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

tyrolean_skier wrote:Sorry XJibber, but I am glad they are banning transfats - not all people know how bad they are for them so this measure may improve the health of those people.
Sorry Ty, but that's not the point. We don't need the government to act like our parents telling us what is and isn't good for us. If someone decides to eat things with trans-fats despite the health risks that's their business, not mine, your's and especially not the government's. And if alleged adults don't want or care to educate themselves about what they put in their bodies, that too is their business.

Don't mind labeling foods with contents or making people aware of health risks of certain things, but banning? Sorry I have parents already, don't need Mayor Bloomberg to be one too.......

(Aside from which I find it incredibly insulting that anyone would consider me such a fool that I couldn't make a reasoned decision on my own)
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

BigKahuna13 wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:Sorry XJibber, but I am glad they are banning transfats - not all people know how bad they are for them so this measure may improve the health of those people.
Sorry Ty, but that's not the point. We don't need the government to act like our parents telling us what is and isn't good for us. If someone decides to eat things with trans-fats despite the health risks that's their business, not mine, your's and especially not the government's. And if alleged adults don't want or care to educate themselves about what they put in their bodies, that too is their business.

Don't mind labeling foods with contents or making people aware of health risks of certain things, but banning? Sorry I have parents already, don't need Mayor Bloomberg to be one too.......

(Aside from which I find it incredibly insulting that anyone would consider me such a fool that I couldn't make a reasoned decision on my own)
Then why are drugs illegal?
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

SkiDork wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:

- Source of revenue for local, state, and federal gov't and law enforcement

- Provides jobs for those in the law enforcement and federal bureaus

- Gov't and citizens are against the counter culture that comes along with most drugs

- They don't agree with George Washington's choice to inhale

- They're blind as to the benefits of legalizing drugs and taxing them like cigarettes.

- They'd rather "allow" citizens to destroy their bodies and get cancer to keep big pharma in control rather then legalizing a substance that's not good for big business (no diseases are directly related to herb at least)

- Similar to banning TransFat, the gov't likes to think they can make decisions for us and tell us what we can and cannot do in the privacy of our own home ... a place in which the gov't has no right to be.

- People continue to elect those gov't officials that will take control of our lives.

That about sums it up
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

SkiDork wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:

In a word - actually a couple - because the people pushed drug laws through (during Teddy Roosevelt's time if I remember correctly) didn't understand (or care about) what this country is supposed to represent and the rest of us were too stupid or ignorant to care.

Drugs should not be illegal. Period. If a person does not have the right to do what they want with their own body they have no rights at all.

And before anyone points out the socially unacceptable behaviors that drug use can lead to - I'd merely point out that most of those socially unacceptable behaviors are already illegal.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

spanky
Site Admin

Re: NYC Bans Transfat

Post by spanky »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:With everything else the gov't could be doing (i.e. Implementing changes that were recommended by the 9/11 commission) local gov't has choose to insert more gov't presence in our life and taken the opportunity to tell NYC goers that they can't have trans fat. Not only that, but NYC gov't is mandating that all fast food have caloric intake posted on fast food containers ... as if any of us were clueless as to a Big Mac being unhealthy.

Two things...
The movie, "SuperSize Me" was all about how ignorant many people are to the fact that fast food is not healthy.

Now that the city has banned trans-fats, it won't be long till people start thinking that fried food is no longer unhealthy... "I can eat this triple portion of french fries because it's not cooked in trans-fats."
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
DMC_Freeride
Black Carver

Post by DMC_Freeride »

Lately I've been thinking we should seriously start banning E-Coli in our fast food...
"I asked you nicely to be nice. " - ShitSki

Thats like Hitler asking someone to buy kosher.

And now I am put on the Troll list like Diss was..
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Re: NYC Bans Transfat

spanky wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:With everything else the gov't could be doing (i.e. Implementing changes that were recommended by the 9/11 commission) local gov't has choose to insert more gov't presence in our life and taken the opportunity to tell NYC goers that they can't have trans fat. Not only that, but NYC gov't is mandating that all fast food have caloric intake posted on fast food containers ... as if any of us were clueless as to a Big Mac being unhealthy.

Two things...
The movie, "SuperSize Me" was all about how ignorant many people are to the fact that fast food is not healthy.

Now that the city has banned trans-fats, it won't be long till people start thinking that fried food is no longer unhealthy... "I can eat this triple portion of french fries because it's not cooked in trans-fats."
Exactly. At what point is the gov't going to say enough is enough and let people make their own decisions.

The gov't doesn't need to hold ignorant people by the hand and show them the light, we're all capable of making our own decisions ... my choices shouldn't be limited by the gov'ts wish to help those that are ignorant.

What's worse? Hasn't the FDA put their rubber stamp on TransFat? :lol: :roll:
DMC_Freeride wrote:Lately I've been thinking we should seriously start banning E-Coli in our fast food...
Can't say I don't agree with that ... now health standards, the gov't certainly has a place.
DMC_Freeride
Black Carver

Post by DMC_Freeride »

Haven't state Govts already started down this road with attempting to ban other unhealthy things?
Like smoking.. speeding.. Gay marriage...

BadDog
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by BadDog »

New York City Mayor Bloombeg is a particularly high-profile representative of the current Big-Daddy, Big-Government Republican Party (and the complete antithesis of classic -- not neo - conservatism.) I am not suprised at the trans-fat ban.

The best thing about Boston-boy Bloomberg is that he is not an insane Mussolini wannabe -- like Rudy "Pled Guilty to Mental Cruelty" Giuliani.
DMC_Freeride
Black Carver

Post by DMC_Freeride »

BadDog wrote:New York City Mayor Bloombeg is a particularly high-profile representative of the current Big-Daddy, Big-Government Republican Party (and the complete antithesis of classic -- not neo - conservatism.) I am not suprised at the trans-fat ban.

The best thing about Boston-boy Bloomberg is that he is not an insane Mussolini wannabe -- like Rudy "Pled Guilty to Mental Cruelty" Giuliani.
It's easy to be Conservative when your rich...

Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

DMC_Freeride wrote:
BadDog wrote:New York City Mayor Bloombeg is a particularly high-profile representative of the current Big-Daddy, Big-Government Republican Party (and the complete antithesis of classic -- not neo - conservatism.) I am not suprised at the trans-fat ban.

It's easy to be Conservative when your rich...
Classic Liberal jealousy. :lol: By the way, it's just as easy to be Liberal when you're rich.

Seriously, as for trans fats, while we think of trans fats primarily with regard to fast food places like McDonalds, many restaurants also cook with trans fats so, unless they're banned or at least required to be clearly identified, we really don't have a choice....do we...unless we choose not to eat out at all.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
DMC_Freeride
Black Carver

Post by DMC_Freeride »

Bubba wrote:
DMC_Freeride wrote:It's easy to be Conservative when your rich...
Classic Liberal jealousy. :lol: By the way, it's just as easy to be Liberal when you're rich.

I could be rich... you don't know that... :)

Do rich people have more of an agenda when it comes to politics?

The rich want to stay rich and support Conservatives(fiscal) but why would rich Liberals want to stay Libs if they stand to lose $$?.

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Bubba wrote:many restaurants also cook with trans fats so, unless they're banned or at least required to be clearly identified, we really don't have a choice....do we...unless we choose not to eat out at all.
If one was "really" concerned about TransFat, couldn't the consumer/customer ask the restaurant to clarify what they're cooking with? At this point, the consumer can make the choice to eat at this particular establishment or not ....