Upper mountain lift (K-Peak) Brainstorming thread......

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Upper mountain lift (K-Peak) Brainstorming thread......

Post by Highway Star »

(NOTE: THIS IS NOT A FLAME WAR THREAD. PLEASE LIMIT YOURSELF TO CONSTRUCTIVE DISCUSSION ON THE TOPIC. IF YOU GO OFF-TOPIC IN THIS THREAD, YOU ARE YOU ARE A HUGE GAPER, or just a nerd. Probably a nerd.....pretty typical around here...sigh. Not many cool kids here on the internet, huh? Oh well, thankfully there are plenty of cool people at Killington who DON'T POST HERE.)

All,

As has been discussed previously, and off the record confirmed by Killington, it seems that there is an excellent chance that Killington will be installing (this summer) a new lift somewhere on the upper mountain ending at or above the K-1 Gondola. This will allow early (and late?) season skiing via up/downloading on the K-1 gondola, with skiing off this new lift and the north ridge triple. Additionally, it will hopefully provide a new section of the mountain to ski, that will hold snow very well and offer the fastest recovery after r*in/warm weather. As this season has already proven, oftering expanded high elevation skiing would be a very wise move for Killington.

There have been several concepts proposed and rumors floating around - a lift on upper downdraft, a lift up to the peak, extending the glades triple to the peak, a lift from the top of south ridge to the summit lodge, etc, etc. I'm looking for any ideas you may have regarding this and how it should be implemented, etc. How would it improve the skiing experience at Killington? How would you like to see it done? Hopefully, Killington managers will read this thread and possibly draw ideas from it, or at least get some idea of what the skiing public wants from this expansion.

Thanks,

HS.
Last edited by Highway Star on Jan 9th, '07, 19:40, edited 3 times in total.
Hal U. Dewin
Tree Psycho

Re: Upper mountain lift (K-Peak) Brainstorming thread......

Post by Hal U. Dewin »

Highway Star wrote:All,

As has been discussed previously, it seems that there is an excellent chance that Killington will be installing (this summer) a new lift somewhere on the upper mountain ending at or above the K-1 Gondola. This will allow early (and late?) season skiing via up/downloading on the K-1 gondola, with skiing off this new lift and the north ridge triple. Additionally, it will hopefully provide a new section of the mountain to ski, that will hold snow very well and offer the fastest recovery after r*in/warm weather. As this season has already proven, oftering expanded high elevation skiing would be a very wise move for Killington.

There have been several concepts floated previously - a lift on upper downdraft, a lift up to the peak, extending the glades triple to the peak, etc, etc. I'm looking for any ideas you may have regarding this and how it should be implemented, etc. How would it improve the skiing experience at Killington? How would you like to see it done? Hopefully, Killington managers will read this thread and possibly draw ideas from it, or at least get some idea of what the skiing public wants from this expansion.

Thanks,

HS.
lol..I stopped at early/late season skiing...
shortski
:dis
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Hal U. Dewin wrote:
Highway Star wrote:All,

As has been discussed previously, it seems that there is an excellent chance that Killington will be installing (this summer) a new lift somewhere on the upper mountain ending at or above the K-1 Gondola. This will allow early (and late?) season skiing via up/downloading on the K-1 gondola, with skiing off this new lift and the north ridge triple. Additionally, it will hopefully provide a new section of the mountain to ski, that will hold snow very well and offer the fastest recovery after r*in/warm weather. As this season has already proven, oftering expanded high elevation skiing would be a very wise move for Killington.

There have been several concepts floated previously - a lift on upper downdraft, a lift up to the peak, extending the glades triple to the peak, etc, etc. I'm looking for any ideas you may have regarding this and how it should be implemented, etc. How would it improve the skiing experience at Killington? How would you like to see it done? Hopefully, Killington managers will read this thread and possibly draw ideas from it, or at least get some idea of what the skiing public wants from this expansion.

Thanks,

HS.
lol..I stopped at early/late season skiing...
You have anything better to talk about?????? Like the great ski season were having? Why don't we talk about something productive, instaid of bitching about the weather.....umkay? :roll:
Gangsta Rider
Postaholic

Post by Gangsta Rider »

I dont think it could possibly happen this fast and I dont think the state will allow anything higher than the K1. Just like Stowes Spruce Peak.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Gangsta Rider wrote:I dont think it could possibly happen this fast and I dont think the state will allow anything higher than the K1. Just like Stowes Spruce Peak.
I'm sorry, but from everything I've seen so far, there only Act 250 regulations in effect, and Killington's agreement to not build on the west side of the ridge, facing Rutland. So, while there may be legal and environmental hurdles in running a lift to the true summit, it is not impossible, and certainly not off the table. Regardless, it would probably be easier to get permitting for a lift within the existing area boundaries.

We can certainly discuss both options - a lift to the peak vs. a lift within current boundaries or up to K-1 elevation.

And no, I don't think it's unrealistic at all for them to do something like this over the coming summer. If fact, I think it would be more unrealistic for them to not take action on this.
Gangsta Rider
Postaholic

Post by Gangsta Rider »

we all need to just pray for snow or burn that fricking chair they all made out of the skis, instead of burning them.\

And I do not think that they would extend the glades triple, because it would access to difficult of terrain unlike the current lift. Maybe a midstation would be in order.
Last edited by Gangsta Rider on Jan 9th, '07, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

There ain't gonna be no money after this year, yo!
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

Highway Star wrote:
You have anything better to talk about?????? Like the great ski season were having? :roll:
this alone is going to draw this thread to at four pages.

I skied 17 days this season, including today, and none of them yould be considered great. good yes; fun most definately; great sorry, but no
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

HS, before you go wasting good bandwidth on a discussion of ideas, here's the one I understand (strictly through the rumor mill) that's getting at some consideration - a short lift from the top of South Ridge (or thereabouts) up to the peak. It's a very short vertical distance and doesn't require much investment, yet it opens the whole upper mountain from the peak to the Glades triple and from the peak to the South Ridge triple midstation to early and late season skiing for beginners (Pipe Dream on South Ridge) as well as advanced down to the Glades. It also makes it easier to expand as the weather gets colder by blowing down to the Canyon quad, then expanding down to KBL.

Now, please stick to freeskiing clinics on ice bumps and groomed blue trails and let's not waste valuable internet space with debates and aerial photographs. Thank you.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
newpylong
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong »

I stopped at the title "Upper Mt. Lift"..... but after reading what Bubba said that idea makes much more sense than anything proposed on the K1 side.
Last edited by newpylong on Jan 9th, '07, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

Makes sense... (bubbas idea)
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Bubba wrote:HS, before you go wasting good bandwidth on a discussion of ideas, here's the one I understand (strictly through the rumor mill) that's getting at some consideration - a short lift from the top of South Ridge (or thereabouts) up to the peak. It's a very short vertical distance and doesn't require much investment, yet it opens the whole upper mountain from the peak to the Glades triple and from the peak to the South Ridge triple midstation to early and late season skiing for beginners (Pipe Dream on South Ridge) as well as advanced down to the Glades. It also makes it easier to expand as the weather gets colder by blowing down to the Canyon quad, then expanding down to KBL.

Now, please stick to freeskiing clinics on ice bumps and groomed blue trails and let's not waste valuable internet space with debates and aerial photographs. Thank you.
I suggested a new lift similar to what you describe to Spinmaster about a month ago, however, it was proposed as a beginner lift for upper pipe dream to the peak, and I didn't propose a routing (since it wouldn't have actually worked, look at the maps). I'm glad they took they idea and ran with it, as this iteration sounds more feasable.

However, I would have to go back and look what terrain this would effectively cover, and how it would actually work out. Analysis pending....

And no offense, but this there are far bigger wastes of space on this board - I'm trying to be constructive here.

EDIT: AFTER SOME DISCUSSION AND DIGGING, IT HAS BECOME CLEAR THAT THIS SPECIFIC IDEA (THOUGH SIMILAR TO SOMETHING I PROPOSED THAT WAS SEEMINGLY ORIGINAL) DID NOT ORIGINATE WITH ME AND IS A RUMOR THAT HAS BEEN FLOATING AROUND FOR A WHILE. IT WAS ORIGINALLY POSTED BY BUBBA, ON 12/3/06:

viewtopic.php?t=14126&postdays=0&postor ... e&start=15

AS IT STANDS, THIS IS JUST A RUMOR THAT BUBBA GOT SOMEWHERE.
Last edited by Highway Star on Jan 9th, '07, 17:51, edited 3 times in total.
DrJeff
Poster Child Poster

Post by DrJeff »

Should we start placing bets as to how it long will take for a Google Earth pic with lots of pretty colored lines to be added to this thread?? :roll: :wink:
johnny the jibber
Level 10K poster

Post by johnny the jibber »

im a huge waste of space, but they still tolerate me. why? i dont know...

bubba, that idea sounds pretty good...
he would shove your ass so far up your ass and stuff! -thejet61 10/2/09

If a snowboarder is in front of me or to the side I assume the slobbering moron will cut from one side of the trail to the other -GSKI 1/17/12
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Highway Star wrote:
Bubba wrote:HS, before you go wasting good bandwidth on a discussion of ideas, here's the one I understand (strictly through the rumor mill) that's getting at some consideration - a short lift from the top of South Ridge (or thereabouts) up to the peak. It's a very short vertical distance and doesn't require much investment, yet it opens the whole upper mountain from the peak to the Glades triple and from the peak to the South Ridge triple midstation to early and late season skiing for beginners (Pipe Dream on South Ridge) as well as advanced down to the Glades. It also makes it easier to expand as the weather gets colder by blowing down to the Canyon quad, then expanding down to KBL.

I suggested a new lift similar to what you describe to Spinmaster about a month ago, however, it was proposed as a beginner lift for upper pipe dream to the peak, and I didn't propose a routing (since it wouldn't have actually worked, look at the maps). I'm glad they took they idea and ran with it, as this iteration sounds more feasable.

However, I would have to go back and look what terrain this would effectively cover, and how it would actually work out. Analysis pending....

And no offense, but this there are far bigger wastes of space on this board - I'm trying to be constructive here.
1. I'm sure they took your idea and ran with it. They obviously couldn't have come up with this themselves.

2. Agreed on the waste of space but, what the hell, most of that waste is far funnier than you. :lol:
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe