Poll: Should Killington offer more high elevation skiing?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

I would use a new high elevation lift, mid-season, if it was:

at least 300 ft vert, to the top of K-1 and served mainly steeps/bumps
8%
at least 500 ft vert, to the top of K-1 and served mainly steeps/bumps
4%
at least 600 ft vert, to the top of K-1 and served mixed terrain
8%
at least 800 ft vert, went to the summit, and served mixed terrain
8%
around 1000 ft vert, went to the summit, serving mixed terrain
16%
..I'm really not interested, we need more condos first.
28%
....I ride andyzee!!!
28%

Total votes: 25

Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Poll: Should Killington offer more high elevation skiing?

Post by Highway Star »

So far this season, I've ridden the North Ridge Triple more than any other lift at Killington, or anywhere for that matter. While it's relatively flat and only 630 ft vert, it is open first, frequently has the most snow and the best snow, and has enough terrrain to keep you occupied for several runs or more. Last sunday, the only good snow on the mountain was on the North Ridge Triple, where they were making snow - it's the fastest area on the mountain to recover after r*in. Even mid-season, this lift sees alot of use, especially when conditionas are marginal on the rest of the mountain.

The base elevation of the North Ridge lift is around 3350 ft, top is 4080 ft, and it's 2295 ft long (per the '87 trail map). There are consistantly colder temps at Killington above ~3500 ft, and it's easier to make snow up there. If you look at Killington after a storm, you will often see distinct rime on the trees everywhere above 3500 ft. There is a distinct snow and weather difference up there. The elevation of the peak lodge is 4160 ft, and Killington Peak's true summit is 4241 ft. K-1 Base is around 2540 ft.

Now, knowing this, would you like to see another lift somewhere on Killington Peak to offer high elevation skiing, on existing terrain, above 3500 ft? How long would this lift have to be for you to want to ride it on a regular basis and how high? 300 ft vertical drop?....for example, the Beartrap double at Mt. Snow is only 300 ft vert, but serves a bump run...sort of a mini Outer Limits, and it's fun. Or would it have to be 500 ft? 600 ft? 800 ft? 1000 ft? Would it have to go to the true summit to be worthwhile to you, or would going to the top of the K-1 or slightly above be enough? Would it have to serve steeps and bump runs? Or more intermediate terrain? Or would you just not be interested at all, because you usually stick to riding the K-1 all the time to ski the peak?

Please select from the poll options accordingly.....thanks!
Steve
Wanted Poster

Post by Steve »

Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Steve wrote:Image
How did you vote, Dick?

EDIT: what happened to the pic of Dick?
Last edited by Highway Star on Jan 10th, '07, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.
robrules
Poster Child Poster

Post by robrules »

Using the glades triple is fine the way it is. Not much from the top that interests me. Its either a boring flat ride down Gr. Northern, or some skidded off ice slide on the other trails from the top. They just need a lift that allows you to get back to the top of the gondola so you can download. I've ridden the glades section back in the canyon download / truck days, and it was plenty for October. sh*t, most skiers can't go 300 ft. of vertical without stopping for a breather anyway. 500 ft. of vertical is adequate for early season legs.
whiteout
Wanted Poster

Post by whiteout »

who the eff is going to say no?
double the powder and shorten the fuse!
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

yeah we already have 2 lifts up there ... they're called the north ridge triple & canyon quad and for better or worse, they even added a pseudo bump trail (powerline). another lift & more trails are not going in above there. if they install the lift up from the south ridge i think we should be happy with that.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Steve
Wanted Poster

Post by Steve »

Highway Star wrote:
Steve wrote:Image
How did you vote, Dick?
I didn't. You didn't have an option for "I'm just happy to have enough snow to ski on this year."
johnny the jibber
Level 10K poster

Post by johnny the jibber »

i really want a slope-side condo before they put in a new lift...
he would shove your ass so far up your ass and stuff! -thejet61 10/2/09

If a snowboarder is in front of me or to the side I assume the slobbering moron will cut from one side of the trail to the other -GSKI 1/17/12
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

side slipping is fun
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

robrules wrote:Using the glades triple is fine the way it is. Not much from the top that interests me. Its either a boring flat ride down Gr. Northern, or some skidded off ice slide on the other trails from the top. They just need a lift that allows you to get back to the top of the gondola so you can download. I've ridden the glades section back in the canyon download / truck days, and it was plenty for October. sh*t, most skiers can't go 300 ft. of vertical without stopping for a breather anyway. 500 ft. of vertical is adequate for early season legs.
Rob, to address your points:

First of all, this poll is not about early/late season skiing, though an upper elevation lift could be used to offer that. This is about an upper elevation lift that would be used mid-season.....and if people think it would be worth while. Considering how much the North Ridge triple gets used, solely fro reasons relating to elevation, I think there is a strong case for another lift, in addition to the North Ridge and Canyon.

A new lift would change how the Peak skis. Right now you are limited to a few beginner traverses and some cross cuts on the south side of the peak, and icy steeps on the North side. If there was new, short lift to the topf of K-1 to complement the North ridge, that would serve Cascade Headwall, the top of Downdraft, and the little trail sections below. They would end up making snow on Downdraft much more often to keep it soft and bumped up - just like they resurface the glades area immediately after a storm. This would give you a small experts area at the highest elevation for immedate recovery after r*in or warm weather. Between this new lift and the North ridge triple, you would have a strong variety of terrrain in a small area that would be basicly impervious to the worst weather imaginable....this is a big bonus.

If the lift was longer and went to the peak, and started mid canyon, with a 800 to 1000 ft vert, it would serve the steeps off the peak, plus catwalk, and then the mid canyon trails, such as middle cascade, downdraft, escapade, and possibly the middle of double dipper. Plus the beginner/intermediate trails on the south side. Granted, the trail system in that whole area would need some amount of re-working....but it wouldn't be massive and it's already overdue as it is. There are numerous ways it could be made to work for the better.
newpylong
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong »

Stop wasting bandwith with this sh*t dude, we've beaten these ideas to death. Where is the vote to globally ignore you from the forum????
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

newpylong wrote:Stop wasting bandwith with this sh*t dude, we've beaten these ideas to death. Where is the vote to globally ignore you from the forum????
I'm not going away and I'm not going to stop discussing this.

So, how did you vote?
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

I like the idea of a lift to the top from the unloading area of CQ4/G3
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
buzzkill
Powderhound

Post by buzzkill »

newpylong wrote:Stop wasting bandwith with this sh*t dude, we've beaten these ideas to death. Where is the vote to globally ignore you from the forum????
Absolutely. If you're going to build a lift to the K1 summit, do it from
Skye peak to get rid of the hump around KBL.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

SkiDork wrote:I like the idea of a lift to the top from the unloading area of CQ4/G3
An interesting idea...can you flesh it out a bit more for us? What trails would it serve....new ones? Would you use it primarily in conjunction with the C4/G3, ie. ride either one of those, then load directly onto this lift? How would it work, what's your vision?