rise above the hype

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

cmfrvt
Blue Chatterbox

rise above the hype

Post by cmfrvt »

Listen, I know the challenges of the past. I'm passionate about the future of Killington and have been attempting to change the culture at the mountain and how we conduct ourselves. Obvious and transparent are the operative words.

Here is my problem. We are in a competitive market and every ski area is off to a tough start. But that shouldn't give any resort the right to stretch the truth or even lie about their current situation in the hope of capturing more business. Our friends down at Okemo are doing just that with their % of terrain open claim. I called them out on this tactic last night, this morning, and even sent Tim Meuller an email to let him know what his marketing group was doing. I have had no response.

We don't have any binding organization or association who will hold them accountable with any consequences. I may have flown a bit off the handle but this is what we have done. We created a down and dirty website to communicate the facts. I chose the domain name which I am now thinking might be too aggressive but what the hell. It is http://okemonotorious.com/

What do you think we should do with this to hold Okemo accountable?
johnny the jibber
Level 10K poster

Post by johnny the jibber »

i think you should get nastier. tell em their mountain sucks...
Last edited by johnny the jibber on Jan 11th, '07, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.
he would shove your ass so far up your ass and stuff! -thejet61 10/2/09

If a snowboarder is in front of me or to the side I assume the slobbering moron will cut from one side of the trail to the other -GSKI 1/17/12
Bling Skier
Postinator

Re: rise above the hype

Post by Bling Skier »

cmfrvt wrote:Listen, I know the challenges of the past. I'm passionate about the future of Killington and have been attempting to change the culture at the mountain and how we conduct ourselves. Obvious and transparent are the operative words.

Here is my problem. We are in a competitive market and every ski area is off to a tough start. But that shouldn't give any resort the right to stretch the truth or even lie about their current situation in the hope of capturing more business. Our friends down at Okemo are doing just that with their % of terrain open claim. I called them out on this tactic last night, this morning, and even sent Tim Meuller an email to let him know what his marketing group was doing. I have had no response.

We don't have any binding organization or association who will hold them accountable with any consequences. I may have flown a bit off the handle but this is what we have done. We created a down and dirty website to communicate the facts. I chose the domain name which I am now thinking might be too aggressive but what the hell. It is http://okemonotorious.com/

Ummmmm, Not ski there?
DUHHHHH!
Now Quit Your bitching and wax your skis!
Geoff the sound a cat make as it coughs up a hairball.
HelmetCam
Postaholic

Post by HelmetCam »

Tom / Dave:

Rise above the sleezeball website tactics. You're better than that.

Its good to be passionate about your mountain. We are too. Take the high road.
TacklingSnowmenSteve
Black Carver

Post by TacklingSnowmenSteve »

cmfrvt wrote:Listen, I know the challenges of the past. I'm passionate about the future of Killington and have been attempting to change the culture at the mountain and how we conduct ourselves. Obvious and transparent are the operative words.

I like the website.. love the comparison...

lets get the torches and pritch forks and lynch slokemo!
It's my duty to please your booty.... ~Shaft
robrules
Poster Child Poster

Post by robrules »

I think it makes you guys look like cry babies.

Waaaaah! Mommy, he's not playing fair...Waaaahh!

From a consumer standpoint the website makes you guys seem like you are defensive about the amount of terrain you have open. Rise above the petty sh*t and get out there, do some real work, and move some guns around. That's how I'd like to see my pass money spent, not on some dopes searching around the internet and a staff creating web pages just to try to prove that a ski area is stretching the truth. Ever hear that phrase that those in glass houses should not throw stones ?- if your snowmaking capabilities were as good as your marketers have been claiming, then you could be touting that you have the largest % of terrain open and you wouldn't be in this position at all. Its really a vicious cycle - the more money and time you waste on sh*t like this, the less money and resources are available for snowmaking, causing you to spend more money and time calling other areas out.

Pay more attention to your own mountain and we will all be better off.

Last edited by robrules on Jan 11th, '07, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

well, if they truly have 56 trails open then they arent really lying, it is however misleading. Thats like Ski Sundown saying they are the most open in the east if they are 90% open. Lets see, we have 20 trails and 18 of them are open..90%
Okemo should be ashamed of using this tactic to deceive their customers.
AlpineZone
Admin AlpineZone.com

Post by AlpineZone »

I have to agree with HelmetCam. Take the high road. Concentrate on what you guys need to do to present accurate snow reports and don't worry about what the others are doing. If they are presenting inaccurate snow reports, the general skiing public will call them out on it eventually...
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Cross posted to Epicski:

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=50203

Would someone care to crosspost to alpinezone and TGR????
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

I think it's kool ... I'd like to see more corporations/consumers hold businesses to account.
HelmetCam
Postaholic

Post by HelmetCam »

Highway Star wrote:Cross posted to Epicski:

Why don't you handle the TGR post. They love you over there.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

HelmetCam wrote:
Highway Star wrote:Cross posted to Epicski:

Why don't you handle the TGR post. They love you over there.
Damian Sanders already took care of it:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/show ... hp?t=73356

(no, I'm not him)
Skibumtress
Whipping Post

Post by Skibumtress »

HelmetCam wrote:Tom / Dave:

I too have to agree with this. If Okemo wants to dig their own hole, then so be it..... let them. Like HelmetCam said...... "Take the high road." Let the customers find out for themselves.....
Bad Karma IMO and not such a great marketing strategy.
Last edited by Skibumtress on Jan 11th, '07, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.
andyzee
Level 10K poster

Post by andyzee »

HelmetCam wrote:Tom / Dave:

I agree. Also remember, Killington has been known to exaggerate a bit in the past as well. I do believe you are doing a fine job to be honest and up front with us now, keep it up and it will be appreciated. My advice, shut that site down immediately. Now, where's Steve? :)
Last edited by andyzee on Jan 11th, '07, 15:12, edited 2 times in total.
Admins, I respectfully request that you do not delete this post or me, thank you.

Andyzone.com
Gangsta Rider
Postaholic

Post by Gangsta Rider »

Nice work with the website. Is there a link from Killington.com for that site.