Only in New York State

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Only in New York State

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

I can't find this news story anywhere ...

But a NY State Senator wants to put a ban on iPods while crossing the street ... crossing the street while listening to the iPod could result in a $100 fine!
BadDog
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by BadDog »

I heard something similar -- I believe (and hope) that the ban also includes celll phones and other aids to inattention that have turned navigating NYC as either a pedestrian, a driver, or something else (roller blades or bicycle) into such a cluster f**k.

We already have state-wide laws banning cell phone use while driving -- unfortunately, these are weakly enforced.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

BadDog wrote:I heard something similar -- I believe (and hope) that the ban also includes celll phones and other aids to inattention that have turned navigating NYC as either a pedestrian, a driver, or something else (roller blades or bicycle) into such a cluster f**k.

We already have state-wide laws banning cell phone use while driving -- unfortunately, these are weakly enforced.
What's next ... are you hoping they pass a ban on using iPods at Killington while skiing/riding? :roll:
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

Heard it on the news this morning.

Exactly what is this ban supposed to accomplish? Stop signs and traffic lights are the primary means of traffic control - both vehicular and pedestrian. Don't see the logic behind banning something that you listen to.

A much better solution - especially in NYC - would be to enforce already existing traffic laws. Damned cabs driving recklessly probably cause more grief than anything else.

Never happen anyway. iPods, cell phones, blackberry's etc are too much a way of life. And anyone who crosses a busy street while reading his blackberry well.....maybe those genes don't need to passed along to the next generation.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

BigKahuna13 wrote:Exactly what is this ban supposed to accomplish?
IMHO ... more taxing and spending ... nothing new.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

If the argument is you can't hear traffic if you're listening to your iPod, the next logical argument is to not allow the deaf to cross the street either. :roll:
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
G-smashed
Official KZone Historian

Post by G-smashed »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
BadDog wrote:I heard something similar -- I believe (and hope) that the ban also includes celll phones and other aids to inattention that have turned navigating NYC as either a pedestrian, a driver, or something else (roller blades or bicycle) into such a cluster f**k.

What's next ... are you hoping they pass a ban on using iPods at Killington while skiing/riding? :roll:
I'd like a ban on anybody who annoys me while skiing at Killington.

Don't Deer Valley Killington!
http://www.myeloma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ffrf.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.keithrichards.com/
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

Bubba wrote:If the argument is you can't hear traffic if you're listening to your iPod, the next logical argument is to not allow the deaf to cross the street either. :roll:
_or_ require seeing eye dogs to accompany anyone carrying an Ipod...
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
ABushismaDay
Blue Chatterbox

Here is the link

Post by ABushismaDay »

Here is the link to the ipod story:

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_037234835.html

Bill Banning iPods In Crosswalks Slated For Albany
State Sen. Kruger: Electronic Devices Put Many In Danger

Lou Young
Reporting

(CBS) NEW YORK First it was cell phones in cars, then trans fats. Now, a new plan is on the table to ban gadget use while crossing city streets.

We all seem to have one -- an iPod, a BlackBerry, a cell phone -- taking up more and more of our time, but can they make us too distracted to walk safely? Some people think so.

If you use them in the crosswalk, your favorite electronic devices could be in the crosshairs.

Legislation will be introduced in Albany on Wednesday to lay a $100 fine on pedestrians succumbing to what State Sen. Carl Kruger calls iPod oblivion.

"We're talking about people walking sort of tuned in and in the process of being tuned in, tuned out," Kruger said. "Tuned out to the world around them. They're walking into speeding cars. They're walking into buses. They're walking into one another and it's creating a number of fatalities that have been documented right here in the city."

Pedestrians have been hurt and killed in the manner Kruger describes. Not surprisingly, though, iPod users are less than thrilled with the senator's proposal.

"That's not a distraction," said one woman, iPod securely implanted in her ears. "You have your iPod in your ears and you're crossing the street, you are looking with your eyes. You don't have to hear anything, really ... I guess."

Added another New Yorker: "It's a terrible idea. It's outrageous."

Kruger said not so fast.

"If you want to listen to your iPod, sit down and listen to it," Kruger declared. "You want to walk in the park, enjoy it. You want to jog around a jogging path, all the more power to you, but you should not be crossing streets and endangering yourself and the lives of others."

Kruger's bill would only apply to big cities across New York state. We don't know what kind of support it has in Albany, but he hopes that the New York City Council, which has already banned indoor smoking and trans fats in restaurants, will pick up the cue.
This bussiness will get out of Hand!
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Re: Here is the link

ABushismaDay wrote:"We're talking about people walking sort of tuned in and in the process of being tuned in, tuned out," Kruger said. "Tuned out to the world around them. They're walking into speeding cars. They're walking into buses. They're walking into one another and it's creating a number of fatalities that have been documented right here in the city."
Ha! He's a Dem, should have known ... always trying to save us from our own stupidity :lol: :roll:
ABushismaDay wrote:"If you want to listen to your iPod, sit down and listen to it," Kruger declared. "You want to walk in the park, enjoy it. You want to jog around a jogging path, all the more power to you, but you should not be crossing streets and endangering yourself and the lives of others."

Sit down and listen? I bet this guy has never even used, much less owned an iPod (or any MP3 player for that matter). Whata fuggin idiot!
ABushismaDay
Blue Chatterbox

Post by ABushismaDay »

There have to be better issues to deal with then whether or not a person should be allowed to cross the street listening to an ipod.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

ABushismaDay wrote:There have to be better issues to deal with then whether or not a person should be allowed to cross the street listening to an ipod.
You're right, but he probably made a commitment to some lobbyist. That's the only reasonable conclusion I can think of for this and other stupid "bills" that never make any headway.

If he's REALLY serious about this, I'd hope people in NY vote him out next round.

BTW, I finally figured it out, ABD is SkiDork.
ABushismaDay
Blue Chatterbox

"BTW, I finally figured it out, ABD is SkiDork'?????

Post by ABushismaDay »

You are mistaken if you think that I am ski dork. Let me assure you that I am my own seperate entity.
St. Jerry
Powderhound

Post by St. Jerry »

back to the topic...

Why is this guy fighting Darwinism/natural selection?
Ron Paul 2012
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

St. Jerry wrote:back to the topic...

Why is this guy fighting Darwinism/natural selection?
The answer is overwhelmingly obvious :D