Imus Canned. Your thoughts?

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
summitchallenger
Bumper

Imus Canned. Your thoughts?

Post by summitchallenger »

MSNBC and then CBS canned him after his comments about the Rutger's Women's BB team. I went to You Tube and listened to what he said. What was he thinking??? :?: :shock:
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

I think the last week has been a very clear indication of why racism continues to perpetuate through our society.

We have the Duke case, Don Imus fiasco, Jesse Jackson, and Al Sharpton.

These are four (of many) of the most fundamental problems of why racism continues in America.

There is no logic being applied ... especially not evenly.

Of course, this is just my opinion, but I'd wager a guess if the Duke players were black and Mr. Imus was black ... these issues would have been handled much differently.

The hypocrisy by those like Sharpton and Jackson is overwhelming.

CNN had a special last night in which they interviewed African American women at a primarily African American women's university in Atlanta.

The class was filled with approximately 30 female African American students. The CNN correspondent asked how many of them have been called "Nappy Head Hoes" and nearly half of the class raised their hands in disgust. On the flip-side, the correspondent then asked how many of these same women have called someone a "Nappy Head Hoe" ... nearly 95% of the class raised their hands.

When the correspondent asked each of them why they decry Imus if they themselves use this sort of language, they promptly beat around the bush claiming it's "different". Of course, not so ironic, each of them failed to say "It's because Imus is white".

Racism still exists in our society and it's tragic. What Imus said was wrong, he apologized, and I think a two-week suspension was more then enough. Now he's lost his TV broadcast and these same hypocritical protesters want him off the air for saying words that America has tolerated for years ... in rap music, Chris Rock, or using this language themselves.

I just ask that if someone wants to label someone as a racist or a bigot, that they take the time to look at their own behavior and that of their peers and others in their community and act appropriately.

This uneven application of disgust is what will continue to perpetuate racism in America.

edit: I don't watch Imus nor do I like his broadcast.
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

posted this on TGR just a few minutes ago:

Personally I'm glad that dinosaur is gone. He was funny in the 70s but went downhill ever since.

The FAN is one of my fave stations but I never listened to it in the morning because he was on. I'm now looking forward to some decent sports talk in the morning instead of having to switch to ESPN 1050.
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

SkiDork wrote:posted this on TGR just a few minutes ago:

Personally I'm glad that dinosaur is gone. He was funny in the 70s but went downhill ever since.

The FAN is one of my fave stations but I never listened to it in the morning because he was on. I'm now looking forward to some decent sports talk in the morning instead of having to switch to ESPN 1050.
I don't disagree that he's terrible. If this was just a good reason to finally get rid of him, so be it.

However, if he's been canned for this racial slur, I think that's overboard and Sharpton and company should be out there demanding rap music moguls be fired.

.02$
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

This CNN article helped me understand the whole thing a bit better...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/1 ... index.html
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

Scare enough sponsors and that's what happens.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

Slap Shot
Blue Chatterbox

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

The problem with Imus' statement isn't racism and it's not indicating any level of racism in this country.

In general, just about everyone who talks in the media or message boards will say something inappropriate. It happens. Imus has done that several times in the past, like in 1997 he apologized to President Clinton for saying that Clinton is a pot-smoking weasel who once ate an apple fritter the size of a baby's head and runs a 12-minute mile.

One time John Kerry said that people should stay in school so they won't have to go to Iraq, implying that the soliders in the US Military are stupid.

There are political comics that have been deemed to be racist like this one and no one has been fired.

So this makes people think, "Why was Imus fired when other people made bad remarks and were not fired?"

The main problem with Imus' statement is that it was aimed at young college students who don't have professional positions like politicans and actors, and labeled them as being a bunch of whores. If he called Condoleezza Rice a "nappy head" then I don't think there would've been a problem. The same thing if he said that the lesbians who appear on Howard Sterns' show are a bunch of hoes. But calling young college students hoes was totally inappropriate, and the Left used the "you're a racist" card to attack.

And they do that often labeling people like Rush Limbaugh, President Bush, and others as being racists. Obama once said that if he gets elected president, then it will show that Americans aren't racists, which implies that if you don't vote for him then you're a racist.

It goes on with a lot of issues. I've heard that if you oppose the minimum wage increase, then you're a racist. If you support tax cuts for the rich, then you're a racist. If you're against Universal Healthcare, then you're a racist. If you're against gay marriage, then you're a racist. It goes on and on and on.

Conservatives point out that many Liberals who play the "you're a racist" card have said racial comments themselves, which is a double-standard.

This is going to happen again and again and again. Liberals are going to be playing the "you're a racist" card, Conservatives are going to bring up the double-standard, and as a result, racism in America is going to appear to be a lot bigger than it actually is. I live in a mixed neighborhood and I don't see racism in the streets, amusement parks, ski resorts, hockey rinks, hockey arenas, clubs, beaches, or anywhere I go, but it's all over the media.

-- $$
Last edited by Slap Shot on Apr 15th, '07, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Re: Slap Shot

Slap Shot wrote:and as a result, racism in America is going to appear to be a lot bigger than it actually is. I live in a mixed neighborhood and I don't see racism in the streets, amusement parks, ski resorts, hockey rinks, hockey arenas, clubs, beaches, or anywhere I go, but it's all over the media.
Come down to Philly sometime.

Buddies car was towed last night and we had to go to a somewhat bad section of Philly ~SW. I had to get cash since my buddy didn't have anything on him, so we made a stop at the closest ATM machine, which happened to be located in a billiards hall.

Walking-in, wouldn't you know everyone was African American including everyone that worked there. I was first to walk-in and my buddy followed, wouldn't you know a racial epithet was hollered before my second foot was in the door? To make matters worse, once my buddy was inside, each and every African American stopped playing pool. They watched and examined us as I reluctantly made a large cash withdrawal, while in the background racial epithets were everywhere.

On our way out, an African American man was in our way before we went out the door ... still slinging racial epithets at me and my buddy. I looked at the man, rolled my eyes, laughed, and left the building.

We didn't do anything to any of these people, but yet we're treated as if we're some KKK members or some other outspoken organized group.

These are the same people that will play the race card when push comes to shove ... because it's easy to be a victim.

After this experience, my opinion is reinforced that many in the African American community perpetuate racism for their own gains ... whether it be starting trouble with two white guys or getting someone pulled off the radio.

I know plenty of African American women and men that I am very friendly with and they are disgusted when they hear stuff like this. I hope the African American community throws the sh*t flag to point out the overwhelming hypocrisy, but I'm not holding my breath.
Slap Shot
Blue Chatterbox

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Perhaps I was never in the city of "Brothery Love." Yeah, there are people who are racists, but as time goes on I think it's becoming less and less.

I'm just wondering, how old were most of the people in the club? Through my experiences, I'm seeing that more people in their 40s are biased than people in their 20s. In the 1970s, teens were more biased than they are today. I know white people in their 40s who are biased and their kids hang with blacks and hispanics.

The bias isn't just based on color, but on where you're from and where you live. When I go skiing in Vermont, I've heard some people say that they won't go skiing in a mountain in New York because there are too many people from the city there. But I notice that it's the older people who say that -- not the college-aged crowd.

A few years ago I asked people on Mountain Creeks' message board if there is a fued between snowboarders and skiiers. I was told that they only heard negative comments about snowboarders from older skiers.

I was in UConn in 1980, and some people were so biased that they didn't want you making friends in their dorm unless you lived in their dorm. I was in Goodyear B and had friends in Goodyear A. A number of people didn't want me in their dorm even though it was in the same building and I lived in the other side. I often heard, "Get out of here, you belong in BEEEE Side!" At first I thought they were just joking and then found out that they were serious. To make matters worse, I also learned that some people won't make friends with people who didn't live on the same floor. At lot of people wanted nothing to do with me just because I'm from Bridgeport, which was then called the "armpit of the world."

On the good part, bias isn't everywhere. In the late '80s I went roller skating in a rink in the Bronx. I was the only white guy in the packed place, no one gave me a dirty look, I didn't hear any comments, people I talked to were friendly, and I felt totally comfortable except that I was the worst skater in the whole club.

I often go to Six Flags Great Adventure, and sometimes befriend a group of blacks and hispanics and get invited to hang with them for the rest of the day.

-- $$
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Re: Slap Shot

Slap Shot wrote:I'm just wondering, how old were most of the people in the club? Through my experiences, I'm seeing that more people in their 40s are biased than people in their 20s. In the 1970s, teens were more biased than they are today. I know white people in their 40s who are biased and their kids hang with blacks and hispanics.

Interesting stories, I guess it depends where you go. The media likes to play a different tune, however.

The men in the club were in their late 20's and maybe early 40's. The man who stood in my way and called me racial epithets to my face appeared to be in his early 30's.
Slap Shot
Blue Chatterbox

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Kind of reminds me of the scene in Animal House... "Boon, we're the only white guys here."

A few years ago I went to Miami to see a Panther's hockey game in the Miami Arena. I booked a hotel a few blocks away and planned on walking to the game from the hotel. After doing some sight seeing, I drove to the arena so that I would know how to walk there from the hotel. When I got to the hotel I decided not to walk. When viewing the map, my impression was that the area from the hotel to the arena is a downtown business district, and discovered that it's warehouses and groups of people were hanging out on the streets.

Not knowing the area's reputation, I didn't want to chance walking through there with a fist full of dollars, so I opted to drive.

Going off topic, the funny thing was that the arena was closed, and I discovered a new lit-up arena down the street by the water. I went there and parked in the empty garage. I felt that something was wrong here... there's no one around and a hockey game is scheduled to start in less than an hour.

I asked the person at the garage gate how to get in the arena, and she said, "You want to get in the arena? Why?" When I told her about the game and showed her the ticket, she said that the game is played in another arena.

It turned out that the Panthers moved from the Miami Arena to the National Car Rental Center near Fort Lauderdale located about fifty miles away. I got stuck in traffic and got there in the second period.

The next year I went to see the Panthers again, and their website said that they played in the Bank Atlantic Center. I looked up the directions in Mapquest, and it said that the arena is located just off I-95. So obviously the Panthers moved to a different arena.

I drove down I-95, got stuck in 50 miles of traffic, and when I got off the highway the arena wasn't there. It turned out that the National Car Rental Center was renamed to be the Bank Atlantic Center and the directions on Mapquest were wrong. Again, I was late for the game.

Last year I went there again, and this time I got it right. The funny thing is that on the Panther's site it said not to use the directions from Mapquest, and that Mapquest was informed about the error and it will be fixed. I just checked it on Mapquest and they still have it wrong. :lol:

-- $$
2knees
Poster Child Poster

Post by 2knees »

i love how you so frequently have a personal story to add to such broad and complex topics.

The universe must revolve around you.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

2knees wrote:i love how you so frequently have a personal story to add to such broad and complex topics.

The universe must revolve around you.
Our experiences make us who we are, right?
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Since apparently my experiences and SS's experiences are not relevant, here is a piece that shows exactly my point:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y9vadcdgzjI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y9vadcdgzjI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
danny p
Black Carver

Post by danny p »

xtreme, i could not agree with you more. you are not the only one with those views or those kind of experiences. thanks for the vid, good stuff even though extremelely blood boiling and frustrating like all of this.