Spring skiing strategies, going forward......

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Nevada West
Postaholic

Post by Nevada West »

Bubba wrote:
Nevada West wrote:Super Star all the way. Aside from the convenience of the lots, tailgates, etc it is the most realistic way to achieve the goal. Snow needs to be made on the headwall in serious amounts. It was done before, it can be done again.
The trouble with blowing all the snow on SS is the cost in today's world of high cost diesel and high cost electricity. Yes, it's in part a marketing expense but it's still a damn high one.

In order to restore late season skiing on SS and make it profitable, they'll need to add a good deck on which they can gain F&B revenues. They'll also need to find ways to cut the cost of snowmaking on SS from either increasing efficiency, moving the terrain parks over to the area behind KBL so the extra snow the blow for the parks and events can serve multiple purposes as the season winds down, or both.
The deck is an absolute must. They gave the business to the Access Road when building that other side. Who wants to sit in that room when you can be outside in the sun? I am sure that they can figure out a way to make it (snow) happen- again. Look at all of the rocket scientists on this board coming up with wonderful ideas for improvements.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Bubba wrote:
Nevada West wrote:Super Star all the way. Aside from the convenience of the lots, tailgates, etc it is the most realistic way to achieve the goal. Snow needs to be made on the headwall in serious amounts. It was done before, it can be done again.
The trouble with blowing all the snow on SS is the cost in today's world of high cost diesel and high cost electricity. Yes, it's in part a marketing expense but it's still a damn high one.

In order to restore late season skiing on SS and make it profitable, they'll need to add a good deck on which they can gain F&B revenues. They'll also need to find ways to cut the cost of snowmaking on SS from either increasing efficiency, moving the terrain parks over to the area behind KBL so the extra snow the blow for the parks and events can serve multiple purposes as the season winds down, or both.
the deck is definitely key. i was pretty stunned to see minimal deck action the last two weekends, particularly the last weekend when they had a good crowd. as sentimental as i am for the old daze, the expense of installing an additional lift, having to run multiple lifts and the loss of excitement due to having the skiing way up out of sight, really does make it make more sense to do late season on supe.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
gpetrics
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by gpetrics »

4-mile wrote:
The marketing expense goes beyond just late season skiing though. The large amounts of snow are made in the peak season times (Feb/Mar). They were usually consistently blowing good qaulity snow making SS one of the best runs on the mountain. This high quality snow brings people back during the main season as well.

I like your idea of having park features over there. It would make sense to have the aerials there as well given the amount of snow they blow for that. Right now they are blowing all that snow, at the larger expense you state, and let it sit and melt over at Bear after early april. Not very efficient planning there.

Each year, the technology improves with snowmaking to provide more and more efficient systems. The low-e guns are a good example.
Exactly. I was at OL yesterday taking some runs and building my own jumps... if all that snow had been made on superstar a.) it wouldn't be nearly as melted away as it is on bear and b.) could serve the exact same purpose. Grante we're in a wierd year here with the sale being completed, so it's unlikely they would have stayed open any longer this season, but in the future I hope that snow is put to good use. They would just be getting more return on their investment of making the snow if it wasn't rendered totally worthless after the US Nationals.

It might be enlightening and pertinent to answer the following question: Is Killington getting the US Nationals again next year?

If not, that snow made on OL might be transferred back to Superstar. One can only hope.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

gpetrics wrote:
4-mile wrote:
The marketing expense goes beyond just late season skiing though. The large amounts of snow are made in the peak season times (Feb/Mar). They were usually consistently blowing good qaulity snow making SS one of the best runs on the mountain. This high quality snow brings people back during the main season as well.

I like your idea of having park features over there. It would make sense to have the aerials there as well given the amount of snow they blow for that. Right now they are blowing all that snow, at the larger expense you state, and let it sit and melt over at Bear after early april. Not very efficient planning there.

Each year, the technology improves with snowmaking to provide more and more efficient systems. The low-e guns are a good example.
Exactly. I was at OL yesterday taking some runs and building my own jumps... if all that snow had been made on superstar a.) it wouldn't be nearly as melted away as it is on bear and b.) could serve the exact same purpose. Grante we're in a wierd year here with the sale being completed, so it's unlikely they would have stayed open any longer this season, but in the future I hope that snow is put to good use. They would just be getting more return on their investment of making the snow if it wasn't rendered totally worthless after the US Nationals.

It might be enlightening and pertinent to answer the following question: Is Killington getting the US Nationals again next year?

If not, that snow made on OL might be transferred back to Superstar. One can only hope.
from what i heard they're not getting the nationals next year so it should be business as usual.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
gpetrics
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by gpetrics »

skiadikt wrote: from what i heard they're not getting the nationals next year so it should be business as usual.
it makes sense... 3 years in a row would really be something. It's time for a change.
johnny the jibber
Level 10K poster

Post by johnny the jibber »

they should close april 15th...
he would shove your ass so far up your ass and stuff! -thejet61 10/2/09

If a snowboarder is in front of me or to the side I assume the slobbering moron will cut from one side of the trail to the other -GSKI 1/17/12
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

How much do you think it cost to make 20 yards of snow? Sunday River has had a "Heat Harvest" the last 2 seasons where the scrape all the snow off White Heat, pile it up at the bottom, and build a Super Park with it, i.e., it's recycled!
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
millerm277
Postaholic

Post by millerm277 »

SS is the best for late season, because of good exposure, and a good location, but it needs a proper deck, and I'd like to see Ovation open close to as late as SS, they have the same exposure I believe.

The canyon is also good, but that Run-out is too long to keep snow on, maybe do that little traverse that you mentioned over into there, and use it and the CQ, so you don't have to keep running the K-1, the K-1 isn't worth running midweek late season.

The rest of the mountain, should be kept open as late as possible, with the possible exceptions of Sunrise, Lower Skyeship, and Snowshed weekdays. Keep the SPQ running and Bearly open, and closing the Needle's lifts doesn't matter too much.
newpylong
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong »

For late season I don't think Ovation is worth it. The amount of snow require to cover that run is immense... but I would be happy with ANY snow being made on it, ha.
skiingsnow
Guru Poster

Post by skiingsnow »

millerm277 wrote:SS is the best for late season, because of good exposure, and a good location, but it needs a proper deck, and I'd like to see Ovation open close to as late as SS, they have the same exposure I believe.

The canyon is also good, but that Run-out is too long to keep snow on, maybe do that little traverse that you mentioned over into there, and use it and the CQ, so you don't have to keep running the K-1, the K-1 isn't worth running midweek late season.

The rest of the mountain, should be kept open as late as possible, with the possible exceptions of Sunrise, Lower Skyeship, and Snowshed weekdays. Keep the SPQ running and Bearly open, and closing the Needle's lifts doesn't matter too much.
I have thought about that too! Having ovation, superstar, skylark, bittersweet all for late season would be cool. Ovation has slightly more western exposure then Superstar, but i dont see how it needs an "imense amount of snow" to keep open... as newpylong suggested, not anymore then U. Skylark / L. Bittersweet to me.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Only good part about SS and the other trails being open late season is show and tell. You have easy access to the lift and trails and everyone can see the skiers from the base area. Yeah, a deck would help, but you are still too low to hold the snow, and the exposure to sunlight is brutal.

Put early and late skiing back up top where it can last. Then fix and utilize the upper lodge for that time of year.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

Dr. NO wrote:Only good part about SS and the other trails being open late season is show and tell. You have easy access to the lift and trails and everyone can see the skiers from the base area. Yeah, a deck would help, but you are still too low to hold the snow, and the exposure to sunlight is brutal.

Put early and late skiing back up top where it can last. Then fix and utilize the upper lodge for that time of year.
+1

All they really need to do is put a short double/triple chair from the old Killington Double midstation on Cascade up to K-peak. That's your October and June 1 lift. It's also the alternate access to an improved K Peak Lodge.

Fall & spring, you upload and download on the K1 and turn the peak lodge into party central. It opens up the mountain to a much bigger market for spring skiing. The experts get Cascade & Downdraft Headwall, lower Downdraft, Lower Cascade, Double Dipper, and East Fall deep into May. Intermediates get The Glades and upper Cascade which are far easier to handle than Skyelark & Bittersweet.
newpylong
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong »

skiingsnow wrote: I have thought about that too! Having ovation, superstar, skylark, bittersweet all for late season would be cool. Ovation has slightly more western exposure then Superstar, but i dont see how it needs an "imense amount of snow" to keep open... as newpylong suggested, not anymore then U. Skylark / L. Bittersweet to me.
Perhaps you haven't seen how steep the trail is... Like I said, it requires a ton of manmade to have a consistent base and it melts quickly... the lower headwall often sits in the shade and after being wet the day before and freezing overnight, ski patrol wouldn't open it until lunch time. To put the kind of resources into a late season trail with those characteristics is foolish.
Kaixo
Green Skidder

Post by Kaixo »

Geoff wrote:All they really need to do is put a short double/triple chair from the old Killington Double midstation on Cascade up to K-peak. That's your October and June 1 lift. It's also the alternate access to an improved K Peak Lodge.

Fall & spring, you upload and download on the K1 and turn the peak lodge into party central. It opens up the mountain to a much bigger market for spring skiing. The experts get Cascade & Downdraft Headwall, lower Downdraft, Lower Cascade, Double Dipper, and East Fall deep into May. Intermediates get The Glades and upper Cascade which are far easier to handle than Skyelark & Bittersweet.
Great idea!!!!
millerm277
Postaholic

Post by millerm277 »

newpylong wrote:
skiingsnow wrote: I have thought about that too! Having ovation, superstar, skylark, bittersweet all for late season would be cool. Ovation has slightly more western exposure then Superstar, but i dont see how it needs an "imense amount of snow" to keep open... as newpylong suggested, not anymore then U. Skylark / L. Bittersweet to me.
Perhaps you haven't seen how steep the trail is... Like I said, it requires a ton of manmade to have a consistent base and it melts quickly... the lower headwall often sits in the shade and after being wet the day before and freezing overnight, ski patrol wouldn't open it until lunch time. To put the kind of resources into a late season trail with those characteristics is foolish.
Covering say...half the trail wouldn't be too bad, and personally, I'd like something with more pitch than SS for late season.

Also, I do agree that the Canyon holds snow and such much later, but if the K-1 has to be run for it, it isn't going to happen, that lift costs too much to justify late season.