Spring skiing strategies, going forward......

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

millerm277 wrote:
newpylong wrote:
skiingsnow wrote: I have thought about that too! Having ovation, superstar, skylark, bittersweet all for late season would be cool. Ovation has slightly more western exposure then Superstar, but i dont see how it needs an "imense amount of snow" to keep open... as newpylong suggested, not anymore then U. Skylark / L. Bittersweet to me.
Perhaps you haven't seen how steep the trail is... Like I said, it requires a ton of manmade to have a consistent base and it melts quickly... the lower headwall often sits in the shade and after being wet the day before and freezing overnight, ski patrol wouldn't open it until lunch time. To put the kind of resources into a late season trail with those characteristics is foolish.
Covering say...half the trail wouldn't be too bad, and personally, I'd like something with more pitch than SS for late season.

Also, I do agree that the Canyon holds snow and such much later, but if the K-1 has to be run for it, it isn't going to happen, that lift costs too much to justify late season.
If you've got 100's of people hanging out at the peak lodge buying beer and food, chilling on the deck in the sun.....might be worth it.

There are mulitple ways to skin this cat.....
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
skiingsnow
Guru Poster

Post by skiingsnow »

newpylong wrote:
skiingsnow wrote: I have thought about that too! Having ovation, superstar, skylark, bittersweet all for late season would be cool. Ovation has slightly more western exposure then Superstar, but i dont see how it needs an "imense amount of snow" to keep open... as newpylong suggested, not anymore then U. Skylark / L. Bittersweet to me.
Perhaps you haven't seen how steep the trail is... Like I said, it requires a ton of manmade to have a consistent base and it melts quickly... the lower headwall often sits in the shade and after being wet the day before and freezing overnight, ski patrol wouldn't open it until lunch time. To put the kind of resources into a late season trail with those characteristics is foolish.
I understand how steep it is... it isn't much different then the superstar headwall to cover, plus it would be like any other trail on a freezing night... it would need to be groomed or wait awhile. But like you said it would take till luch time to be soft enough... thats because it doesn't get much sun the first half of the day... which means it would get less sun overall then superstar. It has about the same exposure as cascade, and would be shaded a bit more if it was narrowed a bit to block the wind.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

skiingsnow wrote:
newpylong wrote:
I understand how steep it is... it isn't much different then the superstar headwall to cover, plus it would be like any other trail on a freezing night... it would need to be groomed or wait awhile. But like you said it would take till luch time to be soft enough... thats because it doesn't get much sun the first half of the day... which means it would get less sun overall then superstar. It has about the same exposure as cascade, and would be shaded a bit more if it was narrowed a bit to block the wind.
Upper/Middle Ovation and Old Superstar would be nice to have for spring. I doubt lower Ovation is feasable. I think it is steeper than the Superstar headwall, and even if it isn't, it is at a lower altitude, and there are a lot of large rocks that need cover. Takes a lot of snow to make it skiable.

One relatively easy thing to do would be to continue Nivis walk all the way to Escapade/Cascade. That would make it feasible to ski into the Canyon
without running the Gondi. (I suspect they don't want to run that due to the extra staffing and electricity it requires.) They could then run the canyon quad if crowd levels justify. That opens up the glades, and the lower half of Snowdon. This would give them a way of opening significantly more terrain according to crowd levels, without having to open another lodge.
millerm277
Postaholic

Post by millerm277 »

rogman wrote:
skiingsnow wrote:
newpylong wrote:
Upper/Middle Ovation and Old Superstar would be nice to have for spring. I doubt lower Ovation is feasable. I think it is steeper than the Superstar headwall, and even if it isn't, it is at a lower altitude, and there are a lot of large rocks that need cover. Takes a lot of snow to make it skiable.

One relatively easy thing to do would be to continue Nivis walk all the way to Escapade/Cascade. That would make it feasible to ski into the Canyon
without running the Gondi. (I suspect they don't want to run that due to the extra staffing and electricity it requires.) They could then run the canyon quad if crowd levels justify. That opens up the glades, and the lower half of Snowdon. This would give them a way of opening significantly more terrain according to crowd levels, without having to open another lodge.
Bingo, that sounds like a good idea in my opinion, except, I don't really want to see a lot of snowmaking on Old Superstar. Other than that, it is a great idea, and would probably work well....

If they did that, from just running the Superstar Quad and CQ, they could open most of Skye Peak, and the Glades and Canyon.....
newpylong
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong »

That is a good idea.... but we would be stuck with another one of the things Killington needs the least.... duh duh duh, a traverse :?
millerm277
Postaholic

Post by millerm277 »

newpylong wrote:That is a good idea.... but we would be stuck with another one of the things Killington needs the least.... duh duh duh, a traverse :?
Eh, K will always have traverses, at least this one will be useful.