killington cancelling lifetime passes

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

khatadin
Beginner On Rentals

killington cancelling lifetime passes

Post by khatadin »

just received notice by mail. furious. this is the way the new company plans to treat some of its longstanding clientele?

List of posters so far:

<table border="1"><tr align="center"><td>Username</td></tr><tr align="center"><td>Skidork</td></tr><tr align="center"><td>Tyrolean</td></tr><tr align="center"><td>Dr. NO</td></tr><tr align="center"><td>khatadin</td></tr><tr align="center"><td>Gunner</td></tr><tr align="center"><td>Vertical Bill</td></tr><tr align="center"><td>ijs12fly</td></tr><tr align="center"><td>skunky</td></tr><tr align="center"><td>Driz100</td></tr></table>
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Re: killington cancelling lifetime passes

Post by Highway Star »

khatadin wrote:just received notice by mail. furious. this is the way the new company plans to treat some of its longstanding clientele?
DETAILS PLEASE!!!!

Thanks....
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
khatadin
Beginner On Rentals

Post by khatadin »

wife just called reading the letter to me. havent yet seen it myself. they plan to reward our 30 years of loyalty to the mountain with 1 year complementary pass, with blackout dates!!

needless to say, i will be mounting an all out grass roots effort to make my displeasure known to the new owners
Gunner
Green Skidder

Post by Gunner »

From the letter:

"The Pass was a benefit you or your predecessor in interest, received for being an initial investor in Sherburne Corporation during the resorts infancy. The specific language in your stock or bond certificate granted you "a pass entitling the holder to use free all ski lifts operated by the corporation in Killington Basin so long as the [Sherburne] corporation shall operate in that area under the agreement with the State of Vermont." When the resort changes ownership as part of this sale, Killington, LTD will no longer own or operate the lifts at the resort. Thus, ar the time of the transfer of ownership, your Pass will expire and the new Owners have no obligation to honor your pass.

If you are wondering why the rights under your pass survived the last sale of the resort it is because when we acquired Killington, we acquired the stock of Sherburne Corporation's parent (which owned other resorts in addition to Killington) and therefore Sherburne Corporation continued to operate the resort under an agreement with the State of Vermont, unlike in the current contemplated sale, where the new owners are acquiring the assets of the Killington and Pico Ski Resorts."
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

According to someone I know, the letter came from Allen Wilson saying that as of the sale, the transferable bond passes will no longer be valid as they were purchased from Killington LTD which no longer operates ski lifts in the State of Vermont. It says Powdr bought the assets of Killington but not the company. It goes on to say that they will give people a full pass next year and a blackout type pass the year after. The matter has already been referred to counsel for review.

I would suggest that Powdr/SP take into account that pissing off their loyal customers and the locals will cause them a lot of grief and cost lots of money as they go forward with the permitting process.

Not a good way to get started, that's for sure!
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
nancie2k
Slalom Racer

Post by nancie2k »

they better honor my unused pass credit from last year
it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it :)
Killington_Lover
Slalom Racer

Post by Killington_Lover »

that is terrible. ill be the first... DOWN WITH POWDR!!! :roll:
Ski It If You Can!..
RedRider
Postaholic

Post by RedRider »

Dork, Ty, Doc?
Go that way, really fast.
If something gets in your way, turn.

Shortski is the Supreme Master of the Universe!!
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

Yes, we got the letter. It's actually 1 full year, and another with black out dates.

Doc NO and shortski always used to maintain that the agreement on the pass was such that whoever ran the lifts had to honor the pass.

I'm not a lawyer but I'd certainly like to hear the opinion of an attorney on whether that has any merit.
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
HelmetCam
Postaholic

Post by HelmetCam »

get used to it folks. these people are here to make money.
millerm277
Postaholic

Post by millerm277 »

Well, based on the wording of that, it is perfectly within their rights to cancel the passes, as they are based on an investment in a company, that now has nothing to do with Killington.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Gunner, I see you're watching still. Must be particularly painful if this holds since you didn't get that many years on the pass. Skiing next year?
Gunner
Green Skidder

Post by Gunner »

Mister Moose wrote:Gunner, I see you're watching still. Must be particularly painful if this holds since you didn't get that many years on the pass. Skiing next year?
Highly unlikely the I will be able to ski any of the next 2 years. Racing against time at work. Only a matter of time before my job is outsourced to India. Working on finishing my degree and putting my IT career behind me.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

SkiDork wrote:Yes, we got the letter. It's actually 1 full year, and another with black out dates.

Doc NO and shortski always used to maintain that the agreement on the pass was such that whoever ran the lifts had to honor the pass.

I'm not a lawyer but I'd certainly like to hear the opinion of an attorney on whether that has any merit.
I'd bet that this was vetted by lawyers so they're probably within their rights. On the other hand, they're making a stupid first step forward that will do nothing but cause animosity among a core block of customers. Anyone know how many of those passes are out there?
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
nancie2k
Slalom Racer

Post by nancie2k »

this happened to me once with a lifetime gym membership.
At least they let me continue for 10 years before yanking it away from me.

a lot of people were involved, and lawyers said there was nothing we could do about. The owner who i also spoke with said her lawyers said she could, apparently she had to wait out the ten years first in this instance.

Now i have a few machines in my house instead!!!!
Last edited by nancie2k on May 14th, '07, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.
it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it :)