Crawling out on a limb.......

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Too risky to buy a pass at 50%-100% higher prices?

Not worth the risk, I'll go elsewhere.
41%
It's still worth it, even if nothing changes.
45%
I think they will improve, and it is worth the risk.
14%

Total votes: 22

Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Crawling out on a limb.......

Post by Highway Star »

Man...this is all just getting to be too much.......... :x :evil:

For nearly the last month straight, we've seen nothing but bad news out of Killington left and right, and great news coming out of many other resorts.

Now they've got passes coming out with a very large price jump. I don't mind paying more to ski, but I want my money to go to a place that respects its customers and provides them with a decent value. A place that provides a quality skiing product. A place that does logical, explainable things in it's operations. A place where there isn't a constant stream of can't and won't coming out of the management. Sure, resorts like Okemo, Stratton, Stowe, and Sugarbush charge more......but their product really is massively better.

Killington's market is very durable...but overall, if Killington wants to charge more, they have to have the product......

DO YOU TRUST THEM TO PROVIDE IT?

ie. for your season pass purchase, will Killington offer a skiing experience competitive with other 1st tier resorts? Or will be more of the same old Killington, at higher prices??? Which would essentally be a rip-off, anyway you cut it?!?!

WHAT'S IT GOING TO TAKE TO BREAK YOU!?!!?!
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
danny p
Black Carver

Post by danny p »

for me it really depends on the final price of a non-blackout pass. I love K and Pico, and even if the infrastructure is old and failing, the mountains just by themselves are worth a whole lot to me. It's really only Mt. Sneaux and K that are realistic drives from my upstate ny location. So if they can come in with a pass price I can afford and think I can get my moneys worth, i'm probably still in without any new uprgrades, etc.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Re: Crawling out on a limb.......

Post by skiadikt »

i throw the same question back at you ...

WHAT'S IT GOING TO TAKE TO BREAK YOU!?!!?!
spoiled South American skiin' whore
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

really all depends on how much of a price jump there is..I wont pay more than $650 for a pass anywhere period. If Ks price goes above that then Ill be looking at a) the $500 Snow pass with 11 blackout days or b) the Stratton sunday only pass for $249. Basically if Ks price jumps Ill be looking at doing just day trips to either Snow or Stratton and not doing the ski house thing this season which would totally kill me. Ive spent the last 11 years at Killington, its my home away from home and I will miss it immensely, but I cant justify an expensive pass with no improvements to justify it as well as a $1500 share in a ski house and another $75 to $100 in gas to get there and back........
newpylong
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong »

why are you people responding to this??
GoBigOrGoHome
Black Carver

K Prices

Post by GoBigOrGoHome »

I know this sounds weird, but as long as the new pass is priced under $1000, then I think I will still remain at K. This is mainly due to five reasons. 1st... I have had a ski house at Killington for the past 5 years. It has become a place that I love, and has allowed me to truely explore all that Killington has to offer (OK, maybe not all, every year I spend at Killington I find a new tree run/shoot/terrain I didn't know existed, but you get my point,) 2nd... The amount of terrain at Killington is more then anywhere else within a resonable drive. I am afraid that I would get bored of snowboarding Mt. Snow. Stratton, etc. all season. 3rd... I like the trees, and they like me. Killington has unbelievable tree runs. 4... Coopers! lets face it, no other mountain has a place like that. and 5. I don't want to know, in the back of my mind, that the differenece in price pass between a much lesser mountain and Killington is 200 or 300 dollars. For that amount, I will probably suck it up (yet complain a whole lot) and pay the extra money for one of the few things in my life that truely makes me happy. Half you people probably think i'm crazy, but the other half can relate to what I'm trying to say.
Vinny Vincenzo
Wanted Poster

Post by Vinny Vincenzo »

Time to pack up and make that move to Stowe.
powbmps
Bumper

Post by powbmps »

I'm hoping they offer a cheap mid-week pass.

I've already bought a Sunapee pass for weekend skiing with the family. It's good at Okemo and Stratton too (yippee). They were nice enough to offer legitimate savings for purchasing early.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

There's always the "boycott all extra costs option".

It's all about the yields people, ie. how much they make off you per day in money spent on the mountain. Killington has to make money off you some how.

If you feel upset about having to buy an overpriced pass to ski at the mountain, and you feel you are not getting your money's worth out of your purchase, simply avoid spending any more money with their company. Do not buy lunch at the mountain. Do not buy drinks at the mountain. Do not got to the Wobbly Barn. Do not take lessons. Do not stay at their lodging. Do not shop at the shops at the shack.

Bring your food. Bring your booze. Support local businesses.

Your pass will be the only money they get out of you, period.

You are the one who has control of where you spend your money. Don't let them force you to spend it with them if you don't want to.

If you have to buy a $1200 pass to ski 30 days, that's $40 per day....not bad for Killington, but still way below the average they see. $1000 pass to ski 50 days.......well, that's $20 a visit.....and a swift kick in their nuts!!!

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

Highway Star wrote:There's always the "boycott all extra costs option".

It's all about the yields people, ie. how much they make off you per day in money spent on the mountain. Killington has to make money off you some how.

If you feel upset about having to buy an overpriced pass to ski at the mountain, and you feel you are not getting your money's worth out of your purchase, simply avoid spending any more money with their company. Do not buy lunch at the mountain. Do not buy drinks at the mountain. Do not got to the Wobbly Barn. Do not take lessons. Do not stay at their lodging. Do not shop at the shops at the shack.

You are the one who has control of where you spend your money. Don't let them force you to spend it with them if you don't want to.

If you have to buy a $1200 pass to ski 30 days, that's $40 per day....not bad for Killington, but still way below the average they see. $1000 pass to ski 50 days.......well, that's $20 a visit.....and a swift kick in their nuts!!!
ummmm... like... we already do that...

So I guess we're the type of customer they don't want to stick around...

BTW - most of the folks I know who belong to the K ski club are in my boat... So I guess that means they want to eliminate that?
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

SkiDork wrote:
Highway Star wrote:There's always the "boycott all extra costs option".

ummmm... like... we already do that...

BTW - most of the folks I know who belong to the K ski club are in my boat... So I guess that means they want to eliminate that?
Well, I do actually spend plenty of money on the mountain. So do many of my friends. Not megabucks, but probably a good $10-$20 per day on average, or even more. If I have to buy a high priced pass and don't get a corresponding level of quality out of the mountain....well, I will simply stop spending more money with them.

But if you are skiing there on a pass and not buying anything, there's not much you can do aside from buying the cheapest pass and skiing the most days possible on it. If you are blacked out and want to ski, go to another resort for another day. You can also avoid inviting your friends up to the mountain, and take trips with them elsewhere.

The most important thing though, is to PLAN AHEAD....

boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

I may be in a different situation to some on here as I'm not able to ski the same number of days that I used to...

For me here is the deal:

If the non-blackout pass is reasonably priced, and I think I will "break even" on buying the pass then I will buy a Killington pass and Killington will get 100% of my skiing dollars for next winter (including the money from lunch on the mountain, beers at apres ski etc etc,).

If the passes go up a lot, then I'm not going to buy a pass anywhere, and I'll buy day tickets and I will spread out my skiing to other resorts. I will still probablly spend about the same ammount on skiing... but other resorts and areas will be getting some of my money as well.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

SkiDork wrote:
So now you're jumping to conclusions based on rumor and internet commentary?
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
whiteout
Wanted Poster

Post by whiteout »

no sh*t, this is beyond comical, bunch of henny pennies...
double the powder and shorten the fuse!
laseranimal
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by laseranimal »

whiteout wrote:no sh*t, this is beyond comical, bunch of henny pennies...
well

given the fact that SP land and Powdr could end all the negativity and hand wringing by just announcing pass prices, I really don't see why we WOULDN'T be running around like henny pennies :D
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.

John Muir