Some Good Information At Town Meeting

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Selbo added that it’s the power of the real estate that allows them to tear down buildings and create a more aesthetic environment. It’s the energy that the real estate brings that allows them of relocate things to provide a better product.
Bill Langlais said, regarding their statement of expecting the number of visitors to drop, but one of their priorities is building the Village and the Village brings in a lot more beds, so isn’t that a problem? Shouldn’t they postpone the building of the Village? Selbo said, given the Act 250 process they have a lot of work to do so the village is years out. Langlais asked if we can see a commitment from them to not build until they see skier visits go back up and Selbo replied no, that’s why he is here, that’s why his company is here. They believe the Village is important to attract people.
Well, this is what Allen Wilson was saying the past few years - that the real estate development will re-energize the resort. Total unadulterated nonsense. :twisted:
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Bubba wrote:
Selbo added that it’s the power of the real estate that allows them to tear down buildings and create a more aesthetic environment. It’s the energy that the real estate brings that allows them of relocate things to provide a better product.
Bill Langlais said, regarding their statement of expecting the number of visitors to drop, but one of their priorities is building the Village and the Village brings in a lot more beds, so isn’t that a problem? Shouldn’t they postpone the building of the Village? Selbo said, given the Act 250 process they have a lot of work to do so the village is years out. Langlais asked if we can see a commitment from them to not build until they see skier visits go back up and Selbo replied no, that’s why he is here, that’s why his company is here. They believe the Village is important to attract people.
Well, this is what Allen Wilson was saying the past few years - that the real estate development will re-energize the resort. Total unadulterated nonsense. :twisted:
Something tells me that ACTUALLY skiing is not very high on Selbo's priority list........ :?
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

These guys suck if what I just read in that meeting is true.
Also, as someone quoted on another thread, it looks like we got the worst deal as far as new owners than the other resorts that ASC sold. All I read is how they're gonna raise prices, not improve anything that you'll notice and you're gonna pay and you'll like it! Hopefully they'll make a profit in the next few years and put money back into the resort.

Where do I sign! :lol:
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Vinny Vincenzo wrote:
Highway Star wrote:As I've been screaming about for the past week or so.........yes, they are in a ~$30M+ hole with the mountain infrastructure, and have too much underutilized capacity.

Without major outside investment, the only hope is that they can budget more for mountain ops, and make wise choices with the meager capital they have to improve snowmaking and other efficiencies in the operation.
WTF are you talking about? $30M in the hole? Where you do you get this information? They fully expect to lose money on this deal for 5 years. It's a tax shelter for their other windfalls. They knew all this when they bought it.

You're like the little kid at Thanksgiving who wants to eat dinner with the adults. You need to go sit at the card table with other little kids.
WTF are you talking about??????? Tax shelter or not, Killington has been on MINIMAL, LIFELINE capital expenditure for the last 2, if not 8-10 years. What was the last thing built on the mountain of any signifigant expense????

The K-1 in 1998.

Why does most of the mountain look like hell? Because they haven't spent the money to maintain or upgrade things as they wore out. Lodges, lifts, snowmaking gear. If ASC had been putting $5-8M of capital per year into Killington over the past 5+ years, it would be in alot better shape than it is right now. HENCE, they are about $30 million in the hole on needed upgrades to bring the mountain up to par with other resorts, and make it reasonably profitable again.

What are you missing here????? You seem like a smart guy, but why are you arguing with me on this point???

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
whiteout
Wanted Poster

Post by whiteout »

The KPSRP 5 Year Business Plan:

Improving "transportation" (WTF?), "service" (much needed and could make the biggest difference in the overall perception), "type and quality of snow they make and maintain" (blow and groom the sh*t out of the trails, thin out the trees, and run the lifts until the snow disappears), will justify raising prices. The big bucks paid for current condo rentals will finally be warranted as all the outdated, weathered condos will be deleted from the rental pool (my take). Over the next few years word (of mouth) spreads across "the south, all over and locally" that Killington's product has improved, and revenues will increase to the point where the infrastructure will be addressed. This new euphoria (and improved cash flow) will occur in tandem with KPSRP breaking ground on the village. They will have hoodwinked a lender into believing in the Village concept, and the capital markets will be in an up cycle (low interest rates). The village will be built over the next 2 years, the retail component will lease, and the real estate will sell, fueled by the friendly economic environment. Then SP will sell their stake and move on to the next deal. No way these guys are long term.

Sound good?
double the powder and shorten the fuse!
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

whiteout wrote:The KPSRP 5 Year Business Plan:

Improving "transportation" (WTF?), "service" (much needed and could make the biggest difference in the overall perception), "type and quality of snow they make and maintain" (blow and groom the sh*t out of the trails, thin out the trees, and run the lifts until the snow disappears), will justify raising prices. The big bucks paid for current condo rentals will finally be warranted as all the outdated, weathered condos will be deleted from the rental pool (my take). Over the next few years word (of mouth) spreads across "the south, all over and locally" that Killington's product has improved, and revenues will increase to the point where the infrastructure will be addressed. This new euphoria (and improved cash flow) will occur in tandem with KPSRP breaking ground on the village. They will have hoodwinked a lender into believing in the Village concept, and the capital markets will be in an up cycle (low interest rates). The village will be built over the next 2 years, the retail component will lease, and the real estate will sell, fueled by the friendly economic environment. Then SP will sell their stake and move on to the next deal. No way these guys are long term.

Sound good?
Transportation probably refers to parking and moving people from the lots to the hill easily and conveniently

Service we know needs tremendous improvement

Nyberg said, at the meeting I attended, that there are three key things needed in running a ski resort:

a) people need to be able to park and get to the hill quickly and easily

b) people need a place to go to the bathroom (and he hinted that those bathrooms need to be something better than what he'd seen in the week that he had been here)

c) people need to be able to get up the hill

He summarized it by saying they need to "park 'em, poop 'em and lift 'em".

If they spend their capital this summer and fall on infrastructure repairs and start to get this place back in shape, and concentrate on service improvements at the same time, I'm OK with that for the first 6 months of ownership. It's what they do NEXT year that will really matter.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

Highway Star wrote:
Vinny Vincenzo wrote:
Highway Star wrote:As I've been screaming about for the past week or so.........yes, they are in a ~$30M+ hole with the mountain infrastructure, and have too much underutilized capacity.

Without major outside investment, the only hope is that they can budget more for mountain ops, and make wise choices with the meager capital they have to improve snowmaking and other efficiencies in the operation.
WTF are you talking about? $30M in the hole? Where you do you get this information? They fully expect to lose money on this deal for 5 years. It's a tax shelter for their other windfalls. They knew all this when they bought it.

You're like the little kid at Thanksgiving who wants to eat dinner with the adults. You need to go sit at the card table with other little kids.
WTF are you talking about??????? Tax shelter or not, Killington has been on MINIMAL, LIFELINE capital expenditure for the last 2, if not 8-10 years. What was the last thing built on the mountain of any signifigant expense????

The K-1 in 1998.

Why does most of the mountain look like hell? Because they haven't spent the money to maintain or upgrade things as they wore out. Lodges, lifts, snowmaking gear. If ASC had been putting $5-8M of capital per year into Killington over the past 5+ years, it would be in alot better shape than it is right now. HENCE, they are about $30 million in the hole on needed upgrades to bring the mountain up to par with other resorts, and make it reasonably profitable again.

What are you missing here????? You seem like a smart guy, but why are you arguing with me on this point???
Jeez. Moron of the month once again.

ASC owned Killington for a decade (11 years). During their ownership, the following happened:

* K1 gondola
* Needles Eye High Speed Quad
* Rams Head High Speed Quad
* Woodward Reservoir project to provide infinite snowmaking water
* Mahogany Ridge addition to Killington Base Lodge
* Reconstruct the Superstar and Snowshed Yan High Speed Quads
* Buy Pico and offer the potential of a huge interconnected resort
* Reconstruct the High Speed Quad at Pico that was a Yan
* A bajillion tower guns
* Replaced the entire grooming fleet
* The land swap of Parkers Gore for all the land at the bottom of Killington that makes a base village possible

Sure, the austerity budget of the last few years has sucked but I challenge you to find a ski resort in the Northeast that has seen anything like those capital improvements. All that work was done on borrowed money and the debt and 12% interest on the debt is what put ASC under.

If POWDR didn't think they could make the mountain function properly out of operating profits, they never would have entered the deal. The problem with the plant at Killington is deferred maintanence. That ain't $30 million to fix. There's nothing wrong with the lift infrastructure. Uphill capacity is more than adequate and most of the lifts are well within their useful service life. Only the Snowshed doubles and the poma are truly ancient. They already have near-100% snowmaking coverage. They just need to fix the leaks and replace failed pipe sections. The base lodges need some TLC and updating. With less people using the resort on Saturdays, they have enough square feet already and they have the whole downstairs of the K Peak lodge they can expand into.

I'd like to see a fixed-grip upper mountain lift to the top to solve the fall and spring skiing problem. I'd like to see the Pico interconnect some day. I'd like to see a number of ski-to private businesses in the new village so the mountain has some competition for my lunch and alcohol money. In the short term, I'd be happy if they painted the lifts, repaired the footrests, made snow early and often, and trained their staff to do their jobs properly.
Finn
Postaholic

Post by Finn »

Be ready to spend more money for a pass.
Ski-N-Sail
Wanted Poster

Post by Ski-N-Sail »

Thanks for the analysis. :lol:
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Geoff wrote:
Highway Star wrote:
Vinny Vincenzo wrote:

The K-1 in 1998.

Jeez. Moron of the month once again.

ASC owned Killington for a decade (11 years). During their ownership, the following happened:

* K1 gondola
* Needles Eye High Speed Quad
* Rams Head High Speed Quad
* Woodward Reservoir project to provide infinite snowmaking water
* Mahogany Ridge addition to Killington Base Lodge
* Reconstruct the Superstar and Snowshed Yan High Speed Quads
* Buy Pico and offer the potential of a huge interconnected resort
* Reconstruct the High Speed Quad at Pico that was a Yan
* A bajillion tower guns
* Replaced the entire grooming fleet
* The land swap of Parkers Gore for all the land at the bottom of Killington that makes a base village possible

Sure, the austerity budget of the last few years has sucked but I challenge you to find a ski resort in the Northeast that has seen anything like those capital improvements. All that work was done on borrowed money and the debt and 12% interest on the debt is what put ASC under.

If POWDR didn't think they could make the mountain function properly out of operating profits, they never would have entered the deal. The problem with the plant at Killington is deferred maintanence. That ain't $30 million to fix. There's nothing wrong with the lift infrastructure. Uphill capacity is more than adequate and most of the lifts are well within their useful service life. Only the Snowshed doubles and the poma are truly ancient. They already have near-100% snowmaking coverage. They just need to fix the leaks and replace failed pipe sections. The base lodges need some TLC and updating. With less people using the resort on Saturdays, they have enough square feet already and they have the whole downstairs of the K Peak lodge they can expand into.

I'd like to see a fixed-grip upper mountain lift to the top to solve the fall and spring skiing problem. I'd like to see the Pico interconnect some day. I'd like to see a number of ski-to private businesses in the new village so the mountain has some competition for my lunch and alcohol money. In the short term, I'd be happy if they painted the lifts, repaired the footrests, made snow early and often, and trained their staff to do their jobs properly.
HEY ASSHOLE!!!!!!

GET YOUR INFO RIGHT, DUMBASS!!!!

ALMOST ALL THAT STUFF YOU LIST HAPPENED DURING OR BEFORE 1998!!!!!!!!

CHECK THE DATES, GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT, AND TAKE YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS BEFORE YOU COME AFTER ME!!!!

YOU'RE THE MORON HERE, NOT ME!!!!

THE MOUNTAIN LOOKS LIKE HELL BECAUSE IT HASN'T SEEN ANY SIGNFIGANT MONEY IN NEARLY 10 YEARS. YES, THEY ARE $30M IN THE HOLE ON NEEDED CAPEX AND IT SHOWS. DON'T YOU THINK KILLINGTON WOULD BE IN ALOT BETTER SHAPE RIGHT NOW IF THEY WERE SPENDING $5M+/YR ON CAPITAL?!?!??!?

MAYBE YOU SHOULD GET OVER TO SOME OTHER RESORTS AND SEE THAT THEY ACTUALLY HAVE SPENT LARGE AMOUNTS OF MONEY IN THE LAST 10 YEARS, WHILE ASC/KILLINGTON HAS DONE JACK sh*t.
Last edited by Highway Star on Jun 12th, '07, 18:18, edited 2 times in total.

SPORE
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by SPORE »

finn wrote:Be ready to spend more money for a pass.
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

Ok, someone has to be the moron here. Who's gonna step up? :lol:
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Geoff wrote: In the short term, I'd be happy if they painted the lifts, repaired the footrests, made snow early and often, and trained their staff to do their jobs properly.
Finally, a second voice is added to the footrest quest.

In the Geoff vs Highway Star knockdown its a no brainer.
Last edited by Mister Moose on Jun 12th, '07, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.
skidogg
Poster Child Poster

Post by skidogg »

i personally beleave i will not buy a pass next year but will look forwart to the freedom of sking other area's, an seeing k as a home base with more days spent elsewere
fast is cool.
Faster is cooler. bring back the dis
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

RENO wrote:Ok, someone has to be the moron here. Who's gonna step up? :lol:
Highway Star already won Moron of the Month for his 8th consecutive month.