Civics quiz

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
MarieM
Post Office

Civics quiz

Post by MarieM »

I'm surprised at you guys. With all the constitutional scholars that like to post here, nobody's got an opinion on this?

From ABCnews.com

"A quick civics quiz: Is the vice president part of the executive branch?"

"At a White House briefing, deputy press secretary Dana Perino was asked if the president believes Cheney is part of the executive branch.

"I think that's an interesting constitutional question, and I think that lots of people can debate it," Perino said."

" 'Perhaps next he will say he is not subject to the laws of gravity either. He will just float away to some undisclosed location,' said Ana Marie Cox, the Washington editor of Time.com."

What's the deal? He's not a member of the executive branch? Because the Vice President of the United States is the President of the Senate ex officio, and thus is the highest-ranking official of the Senate. So he's a member of the legislative branch?
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

The VP has no constitutional authority other than being President of the Senate. So...if he has no constitutional authority in the Executive Branch, and his only constitutional role is President of the Senate, he could be construed as being in the Legislative Branch. Of course, we never think of him that way and think of him as part of the Executive Branch. Constitutionally, it's a debatable point. The only thing that's clear is that he's not a branch unto himself which is apparently what he's almost trying to argue.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
JerseyGuy
Postinator

Post by JerseyGuy »

I love Dick Cheney. The Prince of Darkness exerts "executive privilege" over everything he and his office ever says or does (energy task force meetings, pre-war decision making meeting notes, visitors to his office, etc., etc.) and then when it no longer suits him to be part of the Executive Branch... poof! He's no longer in the Executive Branch.

Dick Cheney could state at a press conference this afternoon that he is no longer subject to the inevitability of human death because he is, in fact, an alien king from the planet Galactar, and I wouldn't bat an eye.

19% of the American population would still defend him, of course. Those people are called "morons".
"Default on aug 3rd just like clown lips said."
-- Racist Maddie, finally revealing himself as the hateful racist that he really is

"The rest of your post is something my pathetic little mind can't even remotely fathom."
-- Racist Maddie: uncut, uncensored, unedited and unhinged

"when is JG gonna figure out that since i OWN HIM, there is no need to respond to him"
-- tellitlikeheiwishesitwas, stumbling into a new way to handle being publicly called out for lying: a clumsy duck and weave with a dollop of self-delusion

"blah blah Okemo is awesome blah"
-- SkippyShill, in an accidental moment of misplaced clarity

"Go f*** yourself."
-- StreetSkippy, who be hatin' on tha haters
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

I'm tempted to say that he's part of the Executive Branch because he is elected to office with someone who clearly is a member of the Executive Branch and is beholden to him. It seems wrong to consider him part of the Legislative Branch from a separation of powers perspective.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre