Preffered Parking Pass/Paid Parking

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

cmfrvt wrote:Parking, dare I say, "etiquette," will become a much higher priority this winter than any of you are accustomed to seeing at KL. Scanning of lift tickets and passes (all over the mountain), along with management of lift mazes will also be under the microscope with expectations for dramatic improvement. And finally, enforcement of the Skiers Responsibility Code will be consistent and black and white with no room for interpretation.

These items have been communicated to me on several occaisions now by Mr. Nyberg.
Communication works both ways, Dave. Why don't you tell Mr. Nyburg to listen up - STOP TREATING YOUR CUSTOMERS LIKE THEIVES!!!!!

You know what I like about Stowe? They treat everyone with respect....and their customers treat them with respect back. It's very professional, really. That allows them to be permissive of certain things. There is no scanning of lift tickets - they simply look at them...... :lol:

Don't you think if someone really wanted to forge lift tickets or passes, they could find a way around whatever barcode system you use? I highly doubt it's super high tech, and even if it was...........:roll:
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
millerm277
Postaholic

Post by millerm277 »

HS, remember...K is public property, you can hike up it and ski down. Ducking a rope is a most likely a violation of your lift ticket agreement, but it's not breaking any law....so, while they may be within their rights to take your lift ticket, they can't force you to leave the mountain.

Besides, it's rare that they will bother to try to catch people, because it's so difficult, and because that people will just ignore them.

Cmfvrt, attempting to scan everyone's lift ticket is annoying, and doesn't stop people from finding ways to cheat the system. In addition to that, it often causes back-ups on the lines, and is a general waste of time and employees.
laseranimal
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by laseranimal »

I'll agree with everyone about how much of a PITA it is to scan everyones lift tickets

BUT

IF you managed to tidy up the mazes and get some control over the crowds you could EASILY scan every ticket. For example, at superstar if you had 4 lines going parallel and then one at the end of all four going perpendicular to the four, and MADE everyone stop until their row was called. You could EASILY scan everyones ticket and it wouldn't take that much longer. Of course that would mean that lifty's would have to start policing the lines and yelling at people coming into the mazes and stopping to wait for friends.

I'm sure Powdr wants more scanning because its critical that they get some idea what their usage stats are because that's going to determine what areas they're going to invest resources in. If they find out that their higher yield passholders/customers like certain lifts and terrain pods then those places are going to see more attention.
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.

John Muir
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

I still think the magnetic pass in your sleeve pocket with turnstyles was great in Italy...
ImageImageImageImage
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

millerm277 wrote:HS, remember...K is public property, you can hike up it and ski down. Ducking a rope is a most likely a violation of your lift ticket agreement, but it's not breaking any law....so, while they may be within their rights to take your lift ticket, they can't force you to leave the mountain.
That is a total myth. Killington has an exclusive lease on the land. If you hike up and ski down, they are completely within their rights to have you arrested for theft of services.

Green Mountain National is on town land. What do you think would happen if you showed up with clubs and walked a round without paying the greens fee and argued with them and kept playing when they challenged you?
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

Highway Star wrote:[Well....depends what the enforcement is like. If you have guys on sleds around looking to pull people's passes in good poaching conditions, then that changes the game somewhat. I understand the difference between good poach/bad poach, but when there's a $600++ pass involved, and the management seems to be the fourth reich........the risks start getting alot more signifigant and I have no illusions about them.

Then you get into the whole concept of "skiing too fast". That's open to interpretation. Why do you think I own 201 stockli asteroids, 218 volkl dh skis and my main resort skis are 186cm wood/metal sandwich midfats? For the smooth ride??? Ripping around at 35 mph on a moderately busy slope is perfectly fine for someone like me, but is ski patrol going to have a cow? What about when I want to hit 60+ at the bottom of double dipper? What about traverses at 20-30 mph?
We've seen the videos. If you are skiing at 35 mph on a moderately busy slope, they should yank your pass for the season. You do not have the skills.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Geoff wrote:
Highway Star wrote:[Well....depends what the enforcement is like. If you have guys on sleds around looking to pull people's passes in good poaching conditions, then that changes the game somewhat. I understand the difference between good poach/bad poach, but when there's a $600++ pass involved, and the management seems to be the fourth reich........the risks start getting alot more signifigant and I have no illusions about them.

Then you get into the whole concept of "skiing too fast". That's open to interpretation. Why do you think I own 201 stockli asteroids, 218 volkl dh skis and my main resort skis are 186cm wood/metal sandwich midfats? For the smooth ride??? Ripping around at 35 mph on a moderately busy slope is perfectly fine for someone like me, but is ski patrol going to have a cow? What about when I want to hit 60+ at the bottom of double dipper? What about traverses at 20-30 mph?
We've seen the videos. If you are skiing at 35 mph on a moderately busy slope, they should yank your pass for the season. You do not have the skills.
You're an old fool. It's been proven.

Why do you think I post that video? It screws with people's heads.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Nevada West
Postaholic

Post by Nevada West »

cmfrvt wrote:Parking, dare I say, "etiquette," will become a much higher priority this winter than any of you are accustomed to seeing at KL. Scanning of lift tickets and passes (all over the mountain), along with management of lift mazes will also be under the microscope with expectations for dramatic improvement. And finally, enforcement of the Skiers Responsibility Code will be consistent and black and white with no room for interpretation.

These items have been communicated to me on several occaisions now by Mr. Nyberg.
No correspondence has been received as of Thursday. Has the pricing been determined and the letters mailed out?
Speedo66
Green Skidder

Post by Speedo66 »

Geoff wrote:

Personally, I think it's hopeless. Killington has always attracted the worst of the New York and Boston crowd. It's never been a place for etiquette. By the time you get to mid-February, most of the employees are so sick of it that they get almost as bad as their customers. ASC tried & failed. I appaud the new management for trying but you can't change the nature of your customers. Read this dose of optimism written by Killington marketing in 1996 at the last ownership change:
http://library.thinkquest.org/11681/articles/News1.htm
Geoff, You are correct in stating that Killington attracts the worst of the New York and Boston crowd. Jersey also ! I rememeber a bumper sticker that got a worker fired during the construction of Glazebrook back in the early 80's. Sticker read " KILLINGTON, WHERE THE EFFLUENT AND THE AFFLUENT MEET".

Kildo is so far behind all of the other Vermont Ski Centres, it will be decades before they even approach the quality level of centres like Stowe, S-Bush and Okemo !
Nevada West
Postaholic

Post by Nevada West »

cmfrvt wrote:The number of paid spaces at K1, by pass or valet, is not changing, nor are the dates it will be offered. The price is going up, but by now you figured that out. We will be discussing and finalizing the price tomorrow morning. The renewal letters are teed up and ready to be sent out this week. There is no desire to expand paid parking or reduce free parking.

We are working to finalize ski and snowboard school seasonal programs and pricing. I, too, would like to get these out ASAP. I will get an update tomorrow.
Any update? Nothing in the mail..........
Harpoon22
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Harpoon22 »

I'm all for preferred parking for the old and handicapped. Otherwise get there early and take your chances. And don't block cars in or close off lanes because you can't walk another 100 feet. We had to "move" a car once to get someone out after some noodle head parked 5 feet off her bumpoer in the middle, Saabs are surprising light by the way. My problem with preferred anything is it leads to more and more preferred stuff. Stratton has the "i'm rich so i can cut the line pass" . Do we need more of that kind of stuff? Do we really need to give K managment more ideas on how to suck extra money out of us?
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Harpoon22 wrote:I'm all for preferred parking for the old and handicapped. Otherwise get there early and take your chances. And don't block cars in or close off lanes because you can't walk another 100 feet. We had to "move" a car once to get someone out after some noodle head parked 5 feet off her bumpoer in the middle, Saabs are surprising light by the way. My problem with preferred anything is it leads to more and more preferred stuff. Stratton has the "i'm rich so i can cut the line pass" . Do we need more of that kind of stuff? Do we really need to give K managment more ideas on how to suck extra money out of us?
I have no problem with preferred parking or valet parking or anything along those lines that allows the person who wants to pay significantly extra to get some benefit or convenience. Why not?
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
laseranimal
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by laseranimal »

Bubba wrote:
Harpoon22 wrote:I'm all for preferred parking for the old and handicapped. Otherwise get there early and take your chances. And don't block cars in or close off lanes because you can't walk another 100 feet. We had to "move" a car once to get someone out after some noodle head parked 5 feet off her bumpoer in the middle, Saabs are surprising light by the way. My problem with preferred anything is it leads to more and more preferred stuff. Stratton has the "i'm rich so i can cut the line pass" . Do we need more of that kind of stuff? Do we really need to give K managment more ideas on how to suck extra money out of us?
I have no problem with preferred parking or valet parking or anything along those lines that allows the person who wants to pay significantly extra to get some benefit or convenience. Why not?
because it creates a two tied system between those that can afford and those that can't

much as I understand that thats the way the world works I still don't have to like it

:lol:
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.

John Muir
Harpoon22
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Harpoon22 »

laseranimal wrote:
Bubba wrote:
because it creates a two tied system between those that can afford and those that can't

much as I understand that thats the way the world works I still don't have to like it

Exactly my thoughts. And although I can afford it, it brings something to skiing that i don't want to see. Displacing those who can't afford it. Next it's cutting the line like Stratton or why don't we just turn K private with a 1/2 million buyin?
When do YOU get shut out? If paid parking gets popular, the price goes up , (supply and demand) . When does it bother YOU? When people are paying 50 bucks and it's you that has to go park elsewhere. I like the prime parking just like everyone else, thats why I drag my ass out of bed and get there early. Maybe I'm missing the boat . BTW, i also go nuts when healthy people take up the handicapped spaces too.
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

Harpoon22 wrote:
laseranimal wrote:
Bubba wrote:

Exactly my thoughts. And although I can afford it, it brings something to skiing that i don't want to see. Displacing those who can't afford it. Next it's cutting the line like Stratton or why don't we just turn K private with a 1/2 million buyin?
When do YOU get shut out? If paid parking gets popular, the price goes up , (supply and demand) . When does it bother YOU? When people are paying 50 bucks and it's you that has to go park elsewhere. I like the prime parking just like everyone else, thats why I drag my ass out of bed and get there early. Maybe I'm missing the boat . BTW, i also go nuts when healthy people take up the handicapped spaces too.