Beer reviews and recommendations

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Re: Beer reviews and recommendations

Post by SnoBrdr »

Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

In a completely unnecessary flexing of muscle, Moosehead beer has intimidated Hop'n Moose into changing their name. Hop'n Moose is now known as Rutland Beer Works.

I just bought a 4 pack of Foley Bros Prospect for $17. Seriously, $17? Foley is getting a little full of themselves, but it is good beer.

Madonna is a new IPA from Zero Gravity, well worth trying and not $17.

Farnham just canned their Milkshake #3, also very good.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Mister Moose wrote:In a completely unnecessary flexing of muscle, Moosehead beer has intimidated Hop'n Moose into changing their name. Hop'n Moose is now known as Rutland Beer Works.

I just bought a 4 pack of Foley Bros Prospect for $17. Seriously, $17? Foley is getting a little full of themselves, but it is good beer.

many others are within 1-2 bux of that...sadly foley has never been as good as it was when they first released Ruby...

right now my goto is is burlington beer's IPA and DIPA offerings...always fresh, always good...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

madhatter wrote: ...sadly foley has never been as good as it was when they first released Ruby...
I call that the "First love effect"
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Mister Moose wrote:
madhatter wrote: ...sadly foley has never been as good as it was when they first released Ruby...
I call that the "First love effect"
kind of...though there hasn't been any ruby in a very long time...once upon a time heady topper was the topper of all the toppers, nowadays I almost always pass...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

From Colorado, I wasn't able to score my go to beer [Hazed and Infused !!] So tried two others:

Avery IPA: This was very good. A bit potent and great flavor.

Upslope IPA: OK, but not as good IMHO. 7.2% and sorta knocked me out. Smoky flavor.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Anyone checked out Killington Beer Company at the Woods? Reviews?
ImageImageImageImage
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Stormchaser wrote:Anyone checked out Killington Beer Company at the Woods? Reviews?
Not bad, not a large selection but nice place. They are canning now so you can get more than just growlers to go, I wish they had a bit better of a food selection, but I expect more from them next year.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Stormchaser wrote:Anyone checked out Killington Beer Company at the Woods? Reviews?
Good if you're from NJ or PA. Doesn't stand up to Trillium (MA), Grey Sail(RI), NEBCO(CT), Single Cut(NY), or just about anything on the 'good' shelf in VT.

If they grow into their VT peers then they will do well, but if this is the level of their future offering, they won't get any bigger than a small alternative on a busy Saturday.

Right now they pale next to Rutland Beer Works for hyper-local beer. Has anyone seen Roaring Brook lately???
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Mister Moose wrote:
Good if you're from NJ or PA. Doesn't stand up to Trillium (MA), Grey Sail(RI), NEBCO(CT), Single Cut(NY), or just about anything on the 'good' shelf in VT.

If they grow into their VT peers then they will do well, but if this is the level of their future offering, they won't get any bigger than a small alternative on a busy Saturday.

Right now they pale next to Rutland Beer Works for hyper-local beer. Has anyone seen Roaring Brook lately???
I'll stick with Treehouse. 20 min down the road...
ImageImageImageImage
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Stormchaser wrote:
I'll stick with Treehouse. 20 min down the road...
I would too if it was 20 min from me.

The top 10 in VT though is equally good. Farnham and Zero Gravity, along with the usual VT suspects can stand up to Treehouse. I'm finding the batch consistency can be more of a factor as well when it comes to best beer of the month. Variety is better than loyalty when it comes to beer.
GnarDawg
Green Skidder

Post by GnarDawg »

Had 3 cans of Burlington Beer's Single Hop IPA w/ Simcoe hops. Crazy how good this beer is. I couldn't stop drinking it. Amazing. I would drink that exclusively if I could get it more often.
madhatter wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:In a completely unnecessary flexing of muscle, Moosehead beer has intimidated Hop'n Moose into changing their name. Hop'n Moose is now known as Rutland Beer Works.

many others are within 1-2 bux of that...sadly foley has never been as good as it was when they first released Ruby...

right now my goto is is burlington beer's IPA and DIPA offerings...always fresh, always good...
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

IPA and Stout are best choices - it's a good place to hang out. They did a nice job with the room.

More food and furniture next year.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

Stormchaser wrote:
daytripper wrote:How is Sam addams still considered craft beer? What is the cutoff to no longer be craft beer? In no way can I still call Boston lager to be a craft beer.

Article is not accurate...

Bud=macrobrew
Sam=microbrew
Tree House=craftbrew
I’m not even sure Sam could be considered a micrbrew anymore. Maybe a higher end macrobrew.
Don't Killington Pico
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Picked up a 6er of this tasty treat