Beer reviews and recommendations

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Re: Beer reviews and recommendations

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Mister Moose wrote: May 6th, '23, 20:25 Tree House Space and Time. Canned 1 28 22.

So few Russian Imperial Stouts out there. Fewer good ones.

I bought this in a 2 pack, (limited to 2) drank one and fridged the other. Not by plan, just the usual I'll have that later shove it to the back of the fridge sorta thing. Well later is now.

It aged really well. Layers of chocolate, raisin, cherry, whiskey. Thick resinous inly black goodness.
I can't bring myself to drink a RIS unless temps are is the 20s or below ... so I'm impressed you drank one in May!

Hard to get Tree House down here and when I see it, we almost always see some type of DDH IPA.

My favorite RIS so far has been Firestone's Parabola. I almost always age any BBA beer two years or so. I have a few I've aged longer than this in the fridge, but just regular Imperial Stouts like KBS and KBS - MMF.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Switchback wins big at 2023 Craft Brewers Conference

https://vermontbiz.com/news/2023/may/12 ... F12%2F2023
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Nice Boozetan🤗
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

DrJeff wrote:
hillbangin wrote: May 11th, '23, 18:51
DrJeff wrote:I have to say that Lawson's new to their regular rotation and distribution network Hazy Rays IPA is likely my this Summer's go to crushable beer! Plenty of flavor that works well for my palate, and the 5.3% ABV works too!
Like Treehouse Summer??

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk
I will have to remind my taste buds soon about Treehouse Summer and get back to you on that comparison! :Toast
You were correct. Very good. Real close to Treehouse Summer
20230529_174153.jpg
20230529_174153.jpg (90.34 KiB) Viewed 1175 times

Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

hillbangin wrote: May 30th, '23, 20:59
DrJeff wrote:
hillbangin wrote: May 11th, '23, 18:51
DrJeff wrote:I have to say that Lawson's new to their regular rotation and distribution network Hazy Rays IPA is likely my this Summer's go to crushable beer! Plenty of flavor that works well for my palate, and the 5.3% ABV works too!
Like Treehouse Summer??
I will have to remind my taste buds soon about Treehouse Summer and get back to you on that comparison! :Toast
You were correct. Very good. Real close to Treehouse Summer
Try Foley Brothers Big Bang if you like Hazy Rays. Same summer lightness, less tart, more haze.
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

Imagine my great surprise and happiness when I found both Heady Topper, and Focal Banger in the Market Basket Liquor store in Danvers, Mass! They must be making more than Vermont can drink!
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

And then there's Upper Pass "Mad Season" - Another good one IMHO.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

From this week's Business Week
Craft Beer’s Hottest Trend Is a Style That’s as Mass as Can Be

Easy-drinking American-style lagers are having a moment.
By Tony Rehagen
June 9, 2023

In 2017, Florian Kuplent and his colleagues at Urban Chestnut Brewing Co. decided to do something outlandish: They brewed a better Budweiser.

The upstart St. Louis brewery had already spent six years persuading an audience of craft beer fanatics to put down their hoppy IPAs and try Urban Chestnut’s easy-drinking German-style lagers. They’d already sold locals on low-alcohol, unfiltered zwickels and floral and crispy Pilsners. (For the uninitiated, Pilsners are actually a style of lager that originated in the Czech city of Plzen.)

But to do an American-style lager, a sweet, pale beer whose mass-market appeal is extra bubbles and a marked lack of bitterness—and, many would say, taste? It seemed a rebuke to the self-seriousness of craft beer.

“We make beers we want to drink,” says Kuplent, who’d been a staff brewmaster at Anheuser-Busch InBev SA’s St. Louis brewery for more than seven years. “I had worked for the ‘big guy,’ and I was passionate that there was a lot more room for flavor and nuance in that style than people may think.”

Turns out, he was on to something. At Denver’s Great American Beer Festival in 2016, mere months before Kuplent untapped his Urban Underdog American lager (4.2% alcohol by volume, with slight citrus notes), there were 121 submissions for American-style lagers. Last year’s festival had 520 entries across four American-style subcategories, all elbowing for acclaim at what’s become the Oscars of brewing. Craft beer’s hottest trend is a style of beer that’s as mass as can be.

Urban Underdog has become a Midwest bestseller for Kuplent. It’s the same story across the US, with brewers pouring their skill and resources into making crisper, sweeter, lighter beers: at Odell Brewing Co. in Fort Collins, Colorado, with its crushable 12-packs of Lagerado (5% ABV) and at Creature Comforts Brewing Co. in Athens, Georgia—and soon Los Angeles—with its popular Classic City lager (4.2% ABV). Reasons include cost, market stagnation, health-consciousness and, perhaps, a bitter dose of IPA fatigue.

“Since the industry has slowed”—overall beer production was unchanged from 2021 to 2022—“brewers have a little more capacity to play with,” says Bart Watson, chief economist for the Brewers Association.

In ales, the yeast ferments at the top of the brew; but in lagers it ferments at the bottom, requiring cooler temperatures, longer tank times and more attention from the brewer. That time trade-off comes with an economic incentive: The average price of hops, beer’s bittering agent, has gone up from $4.38 a pound in 2015 to $6.10 seven years later, a 39% increase. Lagers use less hops.

At Exhibit “A” Brewing Co. in Framingham, Massachusetts, head brewer and co-owner Matthew Steinberg uses 2 pounds to 4 pounds of hops per barrel (at a cost of about $20 to $60) to brew IPAs, but for a lager he adds only a quarter pound to, in rare cases, a pound per barrel ($2 to $15).

“It’s an opportunity to sell a beer that costs less,” he says of his Everyday American lager (5% ABV), made in a style “that may be just as exciting to some people and show our versatility and creativity.”

And with sales of craft lager down—by 8.1% year over year for the week ending May 20, according to consumer insights firm NIQ—brewers have reason to level their ambitions (and upturned noses) at the biggest part of the American beer market: lighter lagers. The boom, says Watson, is happening in taprooms and behind the stats, with smaller brewers grabbing market share from national “craft” heavyweights that overindex on in-store sales, such as Boston Beer Co., which brews Sam Adams Boston lager, and Spoetzl Brewery’s Shiner bock.

The style is super sessionable, or easy drinking, too. In terms of taste and calories, American lagers are lighter and less alcoholic. (IPAs often register above 7% ABV.) Thus, bars tend to sell more pints to a single customer than higher-gravity ales or even fuller-bodied European-style lagers such as dunkels.

An added benefit: the chance to turn the tastes of Bud-guzzling holdouts on to more interesting brews.

“How did craft beer grow in the first place? By attracting people who wanted more flavor from their beer,” says Hagen Dost, brewer and co-owner of Chicago’s Dovetail Brewery, which specializes in the old-world styles from which today’s lighter lagers sprung. “Craft beer has reached as many people who like extreme bitterness as we can,” he says. “I love a good IPA. But if craft beer wants to grow, it needs to speak to the regular beer drinker and show them that beer can have more to it.”
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

Bubba wrote: Jun 15th, '23, 12:48 From this week's Business Week

By Tony Rehagen
June 9, 2023

In 2017, Florian Kuplent and his colleagues at Urban Chestnut Brewing Co. decided to do something outlandish: They brewed a better Budweiser.

The upstart St. Louis brewery had already spent six years persuading an audience of craft beer fanatics to put down their hoppy IPAs and try Urban Chestnut’s easy-drinking German-style lagers. They’d already sold locals on low-alcohol, unfiltered zwickels and floral and crispy Pilsners. (For the uninitiated, Pilsners are actually a style of lager that originated in the Czech city of Plzen.)

But to do an American-style lager, a sweet, pale beer whose mass-market appeal is extra bubbles and a marked lack of bitterness—and, many would say, taste? It seemed a rebuke to the self-seriousness of craft beer.

“We make beers we want to drink,” says Kuplent, who’d been a staff brewmaster at Anheuser-Busch InBev SA’s St. Louis brewery for more than seven years. “I had worked for the ‘big guy,’ and I was passionate that there was a lot more room for flavor and nuance in that style than people may think.”

Turns out, he was on to something. At Denver’s Great American Beer Festival in 2016, mere months before Kuplent untapped his Urban Underdog American lager (4.2% alcohol by volume, with slight citrus notes), there were 121 submissions for American-style lagers. Last year’s festival had 520 entries across four American-style subcategories, all elbowing for acclaim at what’s become the Oscars of brewing. Craft beer’s hottest trend is a style of beer that’s as mass as can be.

Urban Underdog has become a Midwest bestseller for Kuplent. It’s the same story across the US, with brewers pouring their skill and resources into making crisper, sweeter, lighter beers: at Odell Brewing Co. in Fort Collins, Colorado, with its crushable 12-packs of Lagerado (5% ABV) and at Creature Comforts Brewing Co. in Athens, Georgia—and soon Los Angeles—with its popular Classic City lager (4.2% ABV). Reasons include cost, market stagnation, health-consciousness and, perhaps, a bitter dose of IPA fatigue.

“Since the industry has slowed”—overall beer production was unchanged from 2021 to 2022—“brewers have a little more capacity to play with,” says Bart Watson, chief economist for the Brewers Association.

In ales, the yeast ferments at the top of the brew; but in lagers it ferments at the bottom, requiring cooler temperatures, longer tank times and more attention from the brewer. That time trade-off comes with an economic incentive: The average price of hops, beer’s bittering agent, has gone up from $4.38 a pound in 2015 to $6.10 seven years later, a 39% increase. Lagers use less hops.

At Exhibit “A” Brewing Co. in Framingham, Massachusetts, head brewer and co-owner Matthew Steinberg uses 2 pounds to 4 pounds of hops per barrel (at a cost of about $20 to $60) to brew IPAs, but for a lager he adds only a quarter pound to, in rare cases, a pound per barrel ($2 to $15).

“It’s an opportunity to sell a beer that costs less,” he says of his Everyday American lager (5% ABV), made in a style “that may be just as exciting to some people and show our versatility and creativity.”

And with sales of craft lager down—by 8.1% year over year for the week ending May 20, according to consumer insights firm NIQ—brewers have reason to level their ambitions (and upturned noses) at the biggest part of the American beer market: lighter lagers. The boom, says Watson, is happening in taprooms and behind the stats, with smaller brewers grabbing market share from national “craft” heavyweights that overindex on in-store sales, such as Boston Beer Co., which brews Sam Adams Boston lager, and Spoetzl Brewery’s Shiner bock.

The style is super sessionable, or easy drinking, too. In terms of taste and calories, American lagers are lighter and less alcoholic. (IPAs often register above 7% ABV.) Thus, bars tend to sell more pints to a single customer than higher-gravity ales or even fuller-bodied European-style lagers such as dunkels.

An added benefit: the chance to turn the tastes of Bud-guzzling holdouts on to more interesting brews.

“How did craft beer grow in the first place? By attracting people who wanted more flavor from their beer,” says Hagen Dost, brewer and co-owner of Chicago’s Dovetail Brewery, which specializes in the old-world styles from which today’s lighter lagers sprung. “Craft beer has reached as many people who like extreme bitterness as we can,” he says. “I love a good IPA. But if craft beer wants to grow, it needs to speak to the regular beer drinker and show them that beer can have more to it.”
About time the craft beer industry realized that well made lagers and pilsners are better than IPA and other ales that tend to bloat the beer drinker. I could never understand why a bar would have a half dozen or more IPA's and other heavy bloating flavored beers and hardly any good lagers or pilsner on tap?
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

f.a.s.t. wrote: Jun 15th, '23, 16:16

About time the craft beer industry realized that well made lagers and pilsners are better than IPA and other ales that tend to bloat the beer drinker. I could never understand why a bar would have a half dozen or more IPA's and other heavy bloating flavored beers and hardly any good lagers or pilsner on tap?
Nothing new here, Jacks Abbey has been brewing well crafted lagers (And nothing but lagers) since 2011, and they do a good business of it.

Why so much IPA? Like every business decision - it sells.
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

Mister Moose wrote: Jun 15th, '23, 18:35

Nothing new here, Jacks Abbey has been brewing well crafted lagers (And nothing but lagers) since 2011, and they do a good business of it.

We'll see if the trend to more lagers takes off, I would like it and I've noticed it a bit already. Same with non-alcoholic craft beers, I've been seeing more of those too and the one's I've had are very good.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

f.a.s.t. wrote:
Mister Moose wrote: Jun 15th, '23, 18:35

We'll see if the trend to more lagers takes off, I would like it and I've noticed it a bit already. Same with non-alcoholic craft beers, I've been seeing more of those too and the one's I've had are very good.
The NAs are getting much better.

I need to start writing the good ones down.

The Gluten Free beer is also getting better.

f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

An outstanding NH lager.....drink it up.
Attachments
IMG_1323.JPG
IMG_1323.JPG (253.54 KiB) Viewed 755 times
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

f.a.s.t. wrote: Aug 10th, '23, 13:14 An outstanding NH lager.....drink it up.
Paired it with the fish chowder at the River House in Portsmouth, NH (voted best chowder in town for the last 10 years). Tip of the day, never eat seafood without a beer!
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Imagine if Bud light had used this ad instead...
King lite.jpg
King lite.jpg (40.4 KiB) Viewed 730 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6qqX0jvvPY