Beer reviews and recommendations

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

madhatter
Signature Poster

Re: Beer reviews and recommendations

Post by madhatter »

Mister Moose wrote:
DrJeff wrote:Trillium Summer Street - this can hold its own with the juiciest of juicy IPA's out there today!!

Big orange/grapefruit flavor and aroma up front tapering to a moderate piney finish - very impressed!!
TPIWWBUS.

(This post is worthless without bringing us some)
didn't I see that bottle in yer cooler yesterday?
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Flying Dog Celebrates 25 Years of Cutting-Edge Brewing

http://www.foodmanufacturing.com/news/2 ... 6et_rid%3d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

madhatter wrote:
DrJeff wrote:Trillium Summer Street - this can hold its own with the juiciest of juicy IPA's out there today!!
didn't I see that bottle in yer cooler yesterday?
Congress Street. Still have it.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Lager Law: Attorneys' Guild Formed for Craft Brewers, Others
Tue, 05/31/2016

http://www.foodmanufacturing.com/news/2 ... 6et_rid%3d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

From the article:
There are concerns about hop shortages.

"Most of it gets sold before it even gets picked"

Don't worry...the article is mostly about Indiana

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

growler of Lost Nation Mosaic IPA from OGS in Pitts...

http://lostnationbrewing.com/mosaic.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

good stuff, unfiltered, smooth carbonation, nice hops, easy drinking...hit the spot after a fun ride at pine hill... grabbed a sixxer of smash project and Guinness Nitro IPA for future use...

also grabbed a 22 oz of THUNDER FOAM

http://www.harpoonbrewery.com/beer/3993 ... under-foam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Description
Harpoon Thunder Foam is a robust porter with a roasted, earthy aroma and full body. Chocolate notes from the cocoa nibs merge with a sweet caramel character from the malt profile. The team revved it up with fresh poblano and ancho chili peppers, giving it a slight kick at the finish. Buckle up!
Tasting Notes
Appearance: Dark brown with a tan head
Aroma: Roasty, coffee, earthy, chocolatey, caramel, fresh peppers
Mouthfeel: Medium-full body with moderate bitterness
Taste: Dark toast, caramel, chocolate, and earthy pepper
Finish: Sweet with a touch of spice

ALC/VOL 6.8%
IBU 40
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

grabbed a sixxer of smash projectwasn't impressed initially but the toasty finish grows on you and keeps you wanting more...

and Guinness Nitro IPAif ya like Guinness stout you'll like this, sort of a Guinness lite, smooth, easy drinking, very light, velvety carbonation, hop finish...

for future use...
mach es sehr schnell

Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Fort Hill Hera Pils.

Fort Hill is one of my top favorite brewers - not because they have any 5.0 beers, but because they have so many consistent 4.5's. Fort Hill is in Easthampton,MA, and is fairly easily found in I-91 Mass Liquor stores. They specialize in lagers, a la Jack's Abby, but far less hoppy.

Shortski, Geoff, Doria, Ms GIS and all the other "low yuck factor" beer drinkers out there, take note. This bud's for you.

Hera Pils is everything Budweiser dreams it was. None of the adjunct flavor and all of the clean lager crisp taste. Better than Stella as well. It's a wonderful light summer beer and with none of the shmaltzy lemon, or other summer additive. Their King Mark is another great basic beer in the Vienna lager style.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

with me is eric, pretty sure he is the owner/brewer at fort hill...

45 degree rainy windy october day at the mighty K....
mach es sehr schnell

MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Mister Moose wrote:Fort Hill Hera Pils.

Fort Hill is one of my top favorite brewers - not because they have any 5.0 beers, but because they have so many consistent 4.5's. Fort Hill is in Easthampton,MA, and is fairly easily found in I-91 Mass Liquor stores. They specialize in lagers, a la Jack's Abby, but far less hoppy.

Shortski, Geoff, Doria, Ms GIS and all the other "low yuck factor" beer drinkers out there, take note. This bud's for you.

Hera Pils is everything Budweiser dreams it was. None of the adjunct flavor and all of the clean lager crisp taste. Better than Stella as well. It's a wonderful light summer beer and with none of the shmaltzy lemon, or other summer additive. Their King Mark is another great basic beer in the Vienna lager style.
Tried Hera Pils at Mooses's recommendation . . . agree "all of the clean lager crisp taste" . . . and not fruity aftertaste. Wanted to get the King Mark, but Liquors 44 was out. Do plan to go back and try their variety pack. Guy at L44 told me the brewery has tastings and a bar where they serve their varieties.

Also stopped at Trader Joe's for the 1000 day Gouda - very, very good;)

Thanks for the recommendations :Toast
Attachments
PilsGouda627.jpg
PilsGouda627.jpg (114.93 KiB) Viewed 647 times
steamboat1
Post Office

Post by steamboat1 »

Nice crisp hoppy taste, not bitter or filling.

Clear & Bright as Mountain Air.

Better yet $20 for a 30 pak including tax & deposit.
Attachments
th.jpg
th.jpg (14.59 KiB) Viewed 634 times
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Just noticed Busch is a "limited edition." Says so right there on the bottom of the can. Guess I should try some. Probably need to find out the day the distributor delivers it so I can stand in line to get some before it's sold out.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Mister Moose wrote:Just noticed Busch is a "limited edition." Says so right there on the bottom of the can. Guess I should try some. Probably need to find out the day the distributor delivers it so I can stand in line to get some before it's sold out.
We used to drink that in high school as it was under $4 a case.

Adding for inflation, it doesn't seem to have risen in price.

Bad thing is, AB also makes Shocktop, Blue Point and a number of other crafties.

Hopefully they leave them alone and don't screw them up.

But then again, Steamboat Willie needs something to throw off the charter boat in LI Sound.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Busch has highly altered if not synthetic yeast and hops. It'll give you the same headache as cheap champagne.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
steamboat1
Post Office

Post by steamboat1 »

SnoBrdr wrote:But then again, Steamboat Willie needs something to throw off the charter boat in LI Sound.
I return the cans for the nickel deposit
freeski wrote:Busch has highly altered if not synthetic yeast and hops. It'll give you the same headache as cheap champagne.
I don't find this to be true.