Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Jesse Jackson: Obama's 'acting like he's white'

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

:roll:

And some African Americans wonder why racism still exists, durrrr
Jesse Jackson: Obama's 'acting like he's white'

Jackson was sharply critical of Obama's reaction to the case in Jena, Louisiana Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) — The Rev. Jesse Jackson sharply criticized Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama Tuesday over his reaction to the arrest of six black juveniles in Jena, Louisiana on murder charges, accusing the Illinois senator of "acting like he's white," according to a South Carolina newspaper.

The comments reportedly came during a speech at Columbia’s historically black Benedict College.

The State newspaper reports Jackson later said he did not recall saying Obama is "acting like he's white," but continued to condemn the Illinois Democrat as well as the other presidential candidates for not bringing more attention to this issue.

He also said Obama needs to be "bolder" in his stances if he wants to make inroads in South Carolina. Obama currently trails rival Hillary Clinton, a senator from New York, in the Palmetto State by 18 points, according to a recent LA Times/Bloomberg poll.

Jackson, who ran for president twice in the 1980's, endorsed Obama's White House bid earlier in the year. Jackson won the South Carolina Democratic primary, where African American voters play an influential role, in both presidential bids.

"If I were a candidate, I'd be all over Jena," the prominent civil rights activist said Tuesday in Columbia, South Carolina, the paper reports. "Jena is a defining moment, just like Selma was a defining moment."

Jackson is slated to be on hand for a march in Jena this Thursday. The Rev. Al Sharpton, Martin Luther King III, and hip-hop artist Mos Def are also expected to be on hand.

Obama formally released a statement on the case Friday evening after one of the teen's charges was thrown out, saying, “I am pleased that the Louisiana state appeals court recognized that the aggravated battery charge brought in this case was inappropriate."
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Yep, Jesse and Al sticking their noses into other people's affairs when not invited. USA Today ran an article about Jena (pronounced JEEN-A). Town of 3000 that pretty much keeps to themselves. 10% Black and 90% white. They have stayed pretty much segregated since the Civil War, not because they were forced, but that is the way it is, according to residents. Now, the all might Jesse and his crew of 40000 will march into Jena to set things right where nobody knew things were wrong. I would say he is insighting a riot and get his ass arrested, along with Al and all the other big shots that seem to have no visible means of income.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Dr. NO wrote:Yep, Jesse and Al sticking their noses into other people's affairs when not invited. USA Today ran an article about Jena (pronounced JEEN-A). Town of 3000 that pretty much keeps to themselves. 10% Black and 90% white. They have stayed pretty much segregated since the Civil War, not because they were forced, but that is the way it is, according to residents. Now, the all might Jesse and his crew of 40000 will march into Jena to set things right where nobody knew things were wrong. I would say he is insighting a riot and get his ass arrested, along with Al and all the other big shots that seem to have no visible means of income.
Do you even know what is going on? What do you mean "set things right where nobody knew things were wrong"? How about black students having to ask if they could sit under a tree? How about nooses being hung from the tree after black kids sat under it? How about reading up on the subject first? Try this for starters...you might learn something.

Jena 6 Timeline

** Sept. 1, 2006: Students arrive at Jena High School to find three nooses hanging from a tree on campus. Earlier in the week, black students had asked whether they could sit under the tree beside white students.

** Sept. 7: Jena High's principal recommends three white students be expelled after they admit to hanging the nooses.

** Sept. 8: Superintendent Roy Breithaupt overrules the expulsion and suspends the students for two days

** Nov. 30: Fire destroys the main academic building at Jena High School. Later that night, a fight is reported at a mostly white party. A black student, one of the Jena 6, is beaten with beer bottles.

** Dec. 4: Jena High reopens four days after the fire. Robert Bailey, one of the Jena 6, is taunted by a white student. According to court documents, the white student is attacked by several black students and is knocked unconscious.

** Dec. 5-6: Six black students are arrested in connection with the Dec. 4 fight and charged with aggravated second-degree battery. Deputies also arrest a white student in connection with the Nov. 30 fight.

** Dec. 7: The district attorney upgrades charges against the six black students to attempted second-degree murder and conspiracy to commit second-degree murder. Bail is set ranging from $70,000 to $138,000. A week later, the district attorney announces that Mychal Bell, 16, will be tried as an adult, and his bail is set at $90,000.

** June 25: Bell's trial begins before an all-white jury. His charges are reduced to aggravated second-degree battery and conspiracy to commit the same.

** June 28: Jury convicts Bell of the two charges.

** Sept. 4: A judge drops the conspiracy conviction.

** Sept. 14: A state appeals court overturns Bell's remaining conviction, ruling he shouldn't have been tried as an adult. His case will go back to juvenile court.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

OK, I know the story, but WTF does calling Obama "too white" help the situation? It doesn't, it's race baiting and it makes the situation worse ... if not ignites the situation more than it already is.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:OK, I know the story, but WTF does calling Obama "too white" help the situation? It doesn't, it's race baiting and it makes the situation worse ... if not ignites the situation more than it already is.
Agreed, it was an absurd comment.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Bubba wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:OK, I know the story, but WTF does calling Obama "too white" help the situation? It doesn't, it's race baiting and it makes the situation worse ... if not ignites the situation more than it already is.
Agreed, it was an absurd comment.
... but typical of him and Mr. Sharpton. I'm constantly amazed how these two race bait day in and day out and then flip a switch a become victims the next day.

Seems counterproductive, but it's all about the $$, not equal rights.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Wow Bubba you be up to date on dat stuff. Reading the article and only today knowing it even existed, seems to me the majority of the People in Jena don't give a rats ass about it. It is a local problem and it is the way people live in the South. Not by demand, but just by the way it is.

You ever notice in your wonderful NYC area, when you lived there, the PR's live with PR's, the Russians live with Russians etc. etc. etc. These people have lived this way for decades and now it becomes a political hot spot? Why? Jesse needs a headline along with the rest of the NAACP a=holes?

What happened may not be right, but seems JENA didn't make it national BS debate, and they don't want it either.

Shut up and Ski!

CAPBOY
Guru Poster

Post by CAPBOY »

And I thought he was acting black. WTF do I know.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

CAPBOY wrote:And I thought he was acting black. WTF do I know.
Who, Bubba, Jesse, Me or Jibberjabber? BTW, if you act black, does that make you a racist?

Shut up and Ski!

tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Dr. NO wrote:
Who, Bubba, Jesse, Me or Jibberjabber? BTW, if you act black, does that make you a racist?
To clarify matters a bit for you Doc here is the definition of racism and it does not mention white or black:

rac·ism /ˈreɪsɪzəm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[rey-siz-uhm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1865–70; < F racisme. See race2, -ism]

—Related forms
racist, noun, adjective
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Dr. NO wrote:Wow Bubba you be up to date on dat stuff. Reading the article and only today knowing it even existed, seems to me the majority of the People in Jena don't give a rats ass about it. It is a local problem and it is the way people live in the South. Not by demand, but just by the way it is.

You ever notice in your wonderful NYC area, when you lived there, the PR's live with PR's, the Russians live with Russians etc. etc. etc. These people have lived this way for decades and now it becomes a political hot spot? Why? Jesse needs a headline along with the rest of the NAACP a=holes?

What happened may not be right, but seems JENA didn't make it national BS debate, and they don't want it either.
Slavery was the way they lived in the south (and elsewhere in this country for that matter). Legally enforced segregation was the way they lived in the south. Following various Supreme Court decisions and new Federal laws, the south still tried to maintain their cultural heritage - it was the way they lived. Most people didn't give a rat's ass that black people were held in poverty, forced to live in a white's only world. It was just the way it was. So...I guess black kids asking (why should they even have to ask?) to sit where white kids do then, when they do, having nooses hung on the tree was just the way things are and the way people live. Damn, that's an ignorant attitude.... :roll:

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Could you imagine if some "white" person in the public light said another "white" person was acting, too "black"? There would be outrage ... just goes to show the double standard.

It's no wonder why a larger percentage of African Americans call each other the "N-Word".

Racism sells and that's how these idiots make there money. Too bad you'll never see anyone African American speak out ... so the end result is a public that feels these two men (Sharpton and Jackson) speak for the whole African American Community.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Bubba wrote:
Dr. NO wrote:Wow Bubba you be up to date on dat stuff. Reading the article and only today knowing it even existed, seems to me the majority of the People in Jena don't give a rats ass about it. It is a local problem and it is the way people live in the South. Not by demand, but just by the way it is.

Slavery was the way they lived in the south (and elsewhere in this country for that matter). Legally enforced segregation was the way they lived in the south. Following various Supreme Court decisions and new Federal laws, the south still tried to maintain their cultural heritage - it was the way they lived. Most people didn't give a rat's ass that black people were held in poverty, forced to live in a white's only world. It was just the way it was. So...I guess black kids asking (why should they even have to ask?) to sit where white kids do then, when they do, having nooses hung on the tree was just the way things are and the way people live. Damn, that's an ignorant attitude.... :roll:
Did not mean it in that context. I meant what I read regarding the fact that many towns in the South and everywhere are segregated, not by demand but by choice. The school issues and other segregation and racism issues need to be addressed by the local and state authorities, not by Jesse free ride jackson and his ilk.

Shut up and Ski!

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Bubba wrote:

My $.02

I care, I care a lot and I try my best to treat everyone equally all the time, but these types of comments make me care a lot less, especially when no prominent African American speaks out against this trash from Jesse's mouth.

Race aside, it's pretty clear to me the punishment(s) don't fit the crime.
CAPBOY
Guru Poster

Post by CAPBOY »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Could you imagine if some "white" person in the public light said another "white" person was acting, too "black"? There would be outrage ... just goes to show the double standard.

It's no wonder why a larger percentage of African Americans call each other the "N-Word".

Racism sells and that's how these idiots make there money. Too bad you'll never see anyone African American speak out ... so the end result is a public that feels these two men (Sharpton and Jackson) speak for the whole African American Community.
Wiggers?