Jesse Jackson: Obama's 'acting like he's white'

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Nevada West
Postaholic

Post by Nevada West »

Obama the 'Magic Negro'
The Illinois senator lends himself to white America's idealized, less-than-real black man.
By David Ehrenstein
L.A.-based DAVID EHRENSTEIN writes about Hollywood and politics.

March 19, 2007

AS EVERY CARBON-BASED life form on this planet surely knows, Barack Obama, the junior Democratic senator from Illinois, is running for president. Since making his announcement, there has been no end of commentary about him in all quarters — musing over his charisma and the prospect he offers of being the first African American to be elected to the White House.

But it's clear that Obama also is running for an equally important unelected office, in the province of the popular imagination — the "Magic Negro."

The Magic Negro is a figure of postmodern folk culture, coined by snarky 20th century sociologists, to explain a cultural figure who emerged in the wake of Brown vs. Board of Education. "He has no past, he simply appears one day to help the white protagonist," reads the description on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_Negro .

He's there to assuage white "guilt" (i.e., the minimal discomfort they feel) over the role of slavery and racial segregation in American history, while replacing stereotypes of a dangerous, highly sexualized black man with a benign figure for whom interracial sexual congress holds no interest.

As might be expected, this figure is chiefly cinematic — embodied by such noted performers as Sidney Poitier, Morgan Freeman, Scatman Crothers, Michael Clarke Duncan, Will Smith and, most recently, Don Cheadle. And that's not to mention a certain basketball player whose very nickname is "Magic."

Poitier really poured on the "magic" in "Lilies of the Field" (for which he won a best actor Oscar) and "To Sir, With Love" (which, along with "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner," made him a No. 1 box-office attraction). In these films, Poitier triumphs through yeoman service to his white benefactors. "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" is particularly striking in this regard, as it posits miscegenation without evoking sex. (Talk about magic!)

The same can't quite be said of Freeman in "Driving Miss Daisy," "Seven" and the seemingly endless series of films in which he plays ersatz paterfamilias to a white woman bedeviled by a serial killer. But at least he survives, unlike Crothers in "The Shining," in which psychic premonitions inspire him to rescue a white family he barely knows and get killed for his trouble. This heart-tug trope is parodied in Gus Van Sant's "Elephant." The film's sole black student at a Columbine-like high school arrives in the midst of a slaughter, helps a girl escape and is immediately gunned down. See what helping the white man gets you?

And what does the white man get out of the bargain? That's a question asked by John Guare in "Six Degrees of Separation," his brilliant retelling of the true saga of David Hampton — a young, personable gay con man who in the 1980s passed himself off as the son of none other than the real Sidney Poitier. Though he started small, using the ruse to get into Studio 54, Hampton discovered that countless gullible, well-heeled New Yorkers, vulnerable to the Magic Negro myth, were only too eager to believe in his baroque fantasy. (One of the few who wasn't fooled was Andy Warhol, who was astonished his underlings believed Hampton's whoppers. Clearly Warhol had no need for the accouterment of interracial "goodwill.")

But the same can't be said of most white Americans, whose desire for a noble, healing Negro hasn't faded. That's where Obama comes in: as Poitier's "real" fake son.

The senator's famously stem-winding stump speeches have been drawing huge crowds to hear him talk of uniting rather than dividing. A praiseworthy goal. Consequently, even the mild criticisms thrown his way have been waved away, "magically." He used to smoke, but now he doesn't; he racked up a bunch of delinquent parking tickets, but he paid them all back with an apology. And hey, is looking good in a bathing suit a bad thing?

The only mud that momentarily stuck was criticism (white and black alike) concerning Obama's alleged "inauthenticty," as compared to such sterling examples of "genuine" blackness as Al Sharpton and Snoop Dogg. Speaking as an African American whose last name has led to his racial "credentials" being challenged — often several times a day — I know how pesky this sort of thing can be.

Obama's fame right now has little to do with his political record or what he's written in his two (count 'em) books, or even what he's actually said in those stem-winders. It's the way he's said it that counts the most. It's his manner, which, as presidential hopeful Sen. Joe Biden ham-fistedly reminded us, is "articulate." His tone is always genial, his voice warm and unthreatening, and he hasn't called his opponents names (despite being baited by the media).

Like a comic-book superhero, Obama is there to help, out of the sheer goodness of a heart we need not know or understand. For as with all Magic Negroes, the less real he seems, the more desirable he becomes. If he were real, white America couldn't project all its fantasies of curative black benevolence on him.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Dr. NO wrote:
Bubba wrote:
Dr. NO wrote:Wow Bubba you be up to date on dat stuff. Reading the article and only today knowing it even existed, seems to me the majority of the People in Jena don't give a rats ass about it. It is a local problem and it is the way people live in the South. Not by demand, but just by the way it is.

You ever notice in your wonderful NYC area, when you lived there, the PR's live with PR's, the Russians live with Russians etc. etc. etc. These people have lived this way for decades and now it becomes a political hot spot? Why? Jesse needs a headline along with the rest of the NAACP a=holes?

What happened may not be right, but seems JENA didn't make it national BS debate, and they don't want it either.
Slavery was the way they lived in the south (and elsewhere in this country for that matter). Legally enforced segregation was the way they lived in the south. Following various Supreme Court decisions and new Federal laws, the south still tried to maintain their cultural heritage - it was the way they lived. Most people didn't give a rat's ass that black people were held in poverty, forced to live in a white's only world. It was just the way it was. So...I guess black kids asking (why should they even have to ask?) to sit where white kids do then, when they do, having nooses hung on the tree was just the way things are and the way people live. Damn, that's an ignorant attitude.... :roll:
Did not mean it in that context. I meant what I read regarding the fact that many towns in the South and everywhere are segregated, not by demand but by choice. The school issues and other segregation and racism issues need to be addressed by the local and state authorities, not by Jesse free ride jackson and his ilk.
I know you didn't mean it quite the way I portrayed your statement, just carrying the logic (or illogic) out further to make the point. Anyway, I agree with you that people live where they want to live and we humans tend to be "tribal" when it comes to where we live. But, in a country where we have a history of slavery and enforced segregation, and in the part of the country where that held forth for the longest time, it may not quite be as "voluntary" as you think. The true test is when a black person wants to move into a white neighborhood, or when black kids want to sit where white kids have traditionally sat. Kids hanging nooses may have been a prank, but it's a very significant statement with a lot of history behind it in an area like Jena, LA...kind of like kids painting swastikas on a synagogue.

As for Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, they're more charlatans than serious civil rights leaders. Yes, going to Jena to support those kids who have been unequally prosecuted by local law enforcement is justified, and supporting the one kid who was convicted, had his conviction thrown out, but still sits unnecessarily in jail is justified, but that doesn't make Jesse or Al any less the charlatan and opportunist each is. And this whole Obama thing about whether he is an "authentic" black is just absurd and speaks more about those asking than it does about Obama.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
BrockVond
Powderhound

Re: Jesse Jackson: Obama's 'acting like he's white'

Post by BrockVond »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote::roll:

And some African Americans wonder why racism still exists, durrrr
Why does it still exist? Tell me. Don't be obtuse.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

BrockVond wrote:

C'mon Brock, you're a smart guy :wink:
BrockVond
Powderhound

Post by BrockVond »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
BrockVond wrote:

right ....right. wink ....wink, huh. Still, I'm not sure I get it. Maybe you can explain it to me? Is the inference that blacks perpetuate racism? If so, do you think that it exists only because some blacks perpetuate it? Is that what you are inferring? I mean, I really don't know to what extent you are willing to climb out on this limb. As smart or dumb as I may be, it's a simple question: Why does racism still exist?
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

BrockVond wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
BrockVond wrote:

right ....right. wink ....wink, huh. Still, I'm not sure I get it. Maybe you can explain it to me? Is the inference that blacks perpetuate racism? If so, do you think that it exists only because some blacks perpetuate it? Is that what you are inferring? I mean, I really don't know to what extent you are willing to climb out on this limb. As smart or dumb as I may be, it's a simple question: Why does racism still exist?
Many of the predominant African American's in the US are more racist or perpetuate racism across the board. The lack of African American's speaking against these race baiting idiots makes matters worse.

I don't think ALL African American's are like this, just several of the front runners ... those in the limelight on the news each night. I have several African American friends and all is well.

The best is when I hear "It's the White man keeping the Black man down" in reality, it's the Black man keeping the Black man down, just like the Black men shooting each other in Philly. Sometimes, it's just a black problem.

I hope this doesn't sound racist, since I'm certainly not, I'm just being blunt.
bklyntrayc
Green Skidder

Post by bklyntrayc »

:roll: :roll: :roll:
some of you guys haven't got a clue
virgin goombay sacrifice
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

bklyntrayc wrote::roll: :roll: :roll:
All I see each day is what the NAACP has to say and what my African American friends say ... and some days, what Mayor John Street has to say.

If I don't know the full story, it's because no one is interested in telling it ... not Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Mayor Nagin, Kanye West, Mayor Street ... instead of explaining the "story" so "we have a clue", they result to racist comments, why? I haven't got a clue, you're right.

Can you tell me what "Obama is acting white" means? Because you're right, I haven't got a clue, other than it's a clear racist comment.

edit: Oh and lets not forgot McNabb last week. Throws the race card when Philly comes crumbling down around him. No McNabb, it's not because you're playing terribly, we're tough on you because you're African American, that's right! Oh and don't get into the "details" and explain what you means "it's just a fact", but hey, don't provide any stats to back up your claims :roll:
BrockVond
Powderhound

Post by BrockVond »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
BrockVond wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
BrockVond wrote:

Many of the predominant African American's in the US are more racist or perpetuate racism across the board. The lack of African American's speaking against these race baiting idiots makes matters worse.

I don't think ALL African American's are like this, just several of the front runners ... those in the limelight on the news each night. I have several African American friends and all is well.

The best is when I hear "It's the White man keeping the Black man down" in reality, it's the Black man keeping the Black man down, just like the Black men shooting each other in Philly. Sometimes, it's just a black problem.

I hope this doesn't sound racist, since I'm certainly not, I'm just being blunt.
Many? Really?? I assume Jackson is at the top of your list. (I will set that aside for now.) How many more? Who are they? What are their names? What leads you to the conclusion that they are "more" racist? And "more" racist than whom?
BrockVond
Powderhound

Post by BrockVond »

bklyntrayc wrote::roll: :roll: :roll:
you know what?

Neither do you.

And that is part of the problem.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

BrockVond wrote:Many? Really?? I assume Jackson is at the top of your list. (I will set that aside for now.) How many more? Who are they? What are their names? What leads you to the conclusion that they are "more" racist? And "more" racist than whom?
I'm not really sure, I don't think anyone can really substantiate my claim, not even me.

I know when I'm with my buddies in "the burbs", which for the most part is traditionally Caucasian ... however, several African Americans, Chinese, Koreans, etc make up some percentage of where I live, maybe <10%. When any "Minorities" walk in to an establishment that I also frequent, I think nothing of it. I talk, compete, socialize with them just as I would with anyone else ... skin color means nothing to me.

On the other hand, I've been to parts of the "city", which for the most part is traditionally African American ... however, several Caucasians, Chinese, Koreans, etc make up some percentage of these area, maybe <10%. When I walk in to an establishment that African Americans (the majority in this example and me being the minority), I can tell African Americans find this very disturbing (at least the places I've went). In fact, they've went so far to make me feel very uncomfortable and result to using racial epithets and other racist dialog.

From my experiences, I've noticed more racism towards Caucasians than I have the other way around. This could be because I don't notice it the other way around or because I just haven't had enough experiences, but this is what I've noticed. It obviously depends where you live, where you go, etc .. but I can only speak to my experiences.

I hope that make sense, but maybe someone can clue me in, since I have no clue.
BrockVond
Powderhound

Post by BrockVond »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
BrockVond wrote:Many? Really?? I assume Jackson is at the top of your list. (I will set that aside for now.) How many more? Who are they? What are their names? What leads you to the conclusion that they are "more" racist? And "more" racist than whom?
I'm not really sure, I don't think anyone can really substantiate my claim, not even me.

I know when I'm with my buddies in "the burbs", which for the most part is traditionally Caucasian ... however, several African Americans, Chinese, Koreans, etc make up some percentage of where I live, maybe <10%. When any "Minorities" walk in to an establishment that I also frequent, I think nothing of it. I talk, compete, socialize with them just as I would with anyone else ... skin color means nothing to me.

On the other hand, I've been to parts of the "city", which for the most part is traditionally African American ... however, several Caucasians, Chinese, Koreans, etc make up some percentage of these area, maybe <10%. When I walk in to an establishment that African Americans (the majority in this example and me being the minority), I can tell African Americans find this very disturbing (at least the places I've went). In fact, they've went so far to make me feel very uncomfortable and result to using racial epithets and other racist dialog.

From my experiences, I've noticed more racism towards Caucasians than I have the other way around. This could be because I don't notice it the other way around or because I just haven't had enough experiences, but this is what I've noticed. It obviously depends where you live, where you go, etc .. but I can only speak to my experiences.

I hope that make sense, but maybe someone can clue me in, since I have no clue.
That's an honest answer, and I appreciate it. Thing is, idiots are idiots, and a lot of idiots use race as their excuse for something a little bit more deep-seated. I say f***-em, whatever their color. But while what you may have witnessed may be disproportionate, I can assure you that there is enough sh*t to go around, and if i am five feet under sh*t and you are only 4 down, we're both pretty much f*cked.

As for your experiences in "the City", not sure what establishments you are talking about. Let me know and I will haul my lily-white ass in there to show solidarity with my brothers (whoever they might be).

oh, and btw, we're all racists. So cut the crap.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

I ain't a racist. I am an equal opportunity hater. I hate everyone the same, Bastid!
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

When you strip away an entire culture from a diverse group of people it is going to take time to remedy such a tragedy. You're great-grandfather was not a slave, you can probably find out where your ancestors come from. You have a basis to go on.

Of course it is always up to the individual to be responsible for their own actions, but take into account the base certain people are coming from.

You probably are not racist but you definitely are not sensitive to what other individuals go through.

I don't know what your "African-American" friends say, but my best friend found out just about 5 years ago that his last name comes from the owner of the plantation his family were slaves on. Kind of different take then what most "white" people get from their family lineage.
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

icedtea wrote:When you strip away an entire culture from a diverse group of people it is going to take time to remedy such a tragedy. You're great-grandfather was not a slave, you can probably find out where your ancestors come from. You have a basis to go on.

Of course it is always up to the individual to be responsible for their own actions, but take into account the base certain people are coming from.

You probably are not racist but you definitely are not sensitive to what other individuals go through.

I don't know what your "African-American" friends say, but my best friend found out just about 5 years ago that his last name comes from the owner of the plantation his family were slaves on. Kind of different take then what most "white" people get from their family lineage.
I'm not disagreeing with you but if you go back far enough, pretty much to the time just before the Reniassance you'll find it wasn't to terribly different for white Europeans. Hell peasants didn't even warrant last names in most cases, it was just "John from such-and-such place" or
"Gregor the miller".
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre