63%
Andyzee
8%

Total votes: 24

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

NSR/OT: Iranian mission says he'll go despite NYPD rejection

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

What say you ... let him check it out or not? (I don't see this as political at the least)
Iranian mission says he'll go despite NYPD rejection
WABC Eyewitness News

(New York - WABC, September 19, 2007) - Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad requested to visit Ground Zero during an upcoming trip to New York. That request was rejected Wednesday. But a source tells Eyewitness News that the decision may not stop him.

A law enforcement source says the Iranian mission to the United Nations has informed the Secret Service that the Iranian president intends to visit Ground Zero Monday at 10 a.m.

The source says regardless of the NYPD's rejection of the request for a Ground Zero tour, Iran's president and his entourage will be accompanied by a Secret Service protective detail, a detail provided to all heads of state when they visit the United States.

The Iranian mission to the United Nations made the initial request to the NYPD and the Secret Service, who will jointly oversee security during the president's two-day visit.

Ahmadinejad is scheduled to arrive September 24 to speak to the U.N. General Assembly, as the Security Council decides whether to increase sanctions against Iran for its uranium enrichment program.

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said the NYPD and Secret Service were in discussions with the Iranian mission about the logistics for the possible visit to the World Trade Center site.

"There has been some interest expressed in his visiting the area," Kelly said. "It's something that we are prepared to handle if in fact it does happen."

The request was rejected Wednesday afternoon in a meeting which included NYPD, Secret Service and Port Authority officials, who said the site is closed to visitors because of construction. They said requests for the Iranian president to visit the immediate area would also be opposed by the NYPD on security grounds.

Kelly said that Ahmadinejad had not indicated why he wants to visit the site of the terrorist attacks of September 11th.

Mayor Rudy Giuliani released the following statement on Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad:

"Under no circumstances should the NYPD or any other American authority assist President Ahmadinejad in visiting Ground Zero. This is a man who has made threats against America and Israel, is harboring bin Laden's son and other al-Qaeda leaders, is shipping arms to Iraqi insurgents and is pursuing the development of nuclear weapons. Assisting Ahmadinejad in touring Ground Zero - hallowed ground for all Americans - is outrageous."

Senator Hillary Clinton released the following statement:

"It is unacceptable for Iranian President Ahmadinejad, who refuses to renounce and end his own country's support of terrorism, to visit the site of the deadliest terrorist attack on American soil in our nation's history."
KBL Ed
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by KBL Ed »

Political forum. Trust me.
Killington Koyote
Black Carver

Post by Killington Koyote »

heard someone interviewed on 880 saying he should go and we should pour concrete over him. No way, stay away he just wants a photo op.
MarieM
Post Office

Post by MarieM »

How is this not political?
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

If we can't prevent him from going, then the police should keep all media away from him so there is no record of his visiting the site. He is one sick man and all he wants is publicity to entice more violence.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

MarieM wrote:How is this not political?
I guess it's because I thought it was a no-brainer ... as in, who in their right mind would say this man should be able to create a photo-op at the expense of thousands of dead Americans.
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

Let him check it out or not? What kind of question is that? Last time I
checked this isn't Iran. We let our visitors pretty much go wherever they
want.

And keeping the media away is a horrible, unconstitutional, anti everything American is supposed to stand for, idea.

And this does belong in the political forum.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

Eski
Postaholic

Post by Eski »

let him visit sans security ... leave it in the hands of Americans with weapons to sort things out
millerm277
Postaholic

Post by millerm277 »

Let him visit, and freedom of speech applies to our visitors as well as our citizens. (As you already know, hate speech is not protected under the first amendment, so if he were to go off on one of those rants about Israel or the like, he could be arrested).

Also, I noticed that you edited out the part of the article where it said that he wanted to place a wreath at the site.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

A known sponsor of terrorism and a known sponsor of killing US troops in Iraq should not be afforded the same rights as you and I. (we won't even get into his interest in wiping Israel off the map)

Media being around is just fine with me ... this disgusting excuse for a human should not be allowed to make a mockery of the thousand that died that painful day. He's a modern day Nazi ... todays Hitler.

Eski is on the right track, it wouldn't surprise me at the least if he was attacked ... I can't imagine the pain and suffering of those that were left without loved ones after 9/11 ... watching their TV and watching some POS make a mockery of everything America stands for.

I'm extremely surprised by the comments and equally disgusted with our President for doing little to nothing to prevent this sicko from getting his photo-op.

Miller, I didn't purposely do anything, if it occurred, it was strictly by accident. While I know the 1st Amendment does not cover hate speech, it's very easy for him to take a photo and go back to Iran and go into his diatribe about the US.

BK, you're right, this now belongs in the political forum.
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

What if he goes there and then uses the photo op. as a salute to the " Al-Quida" A$$holes who Hyjacked the Jets and makes them martyr's.
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

I hope somebody wastes that piece of sh*t for getting our soldiers killed! :evil: That's the only thing I wanna see...

Poetic Justice...
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

I want to be clear ... I certainly respects everyone's opinion, but I just disagree overall.
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

millerm277 wrote:Let him visit, and freedom of speech applies to our visitors as well as our citizens. (As you already know, hate speech is not protected under the first amendment, so if he were to go off on one of those rants about Israel or the like, he could be arrested)./b]

Also, I noticed that you edited out the part of the article where it said that he wanted to place a wreath at the site.

since when?

and what exactly is "hate speech"?

as a practical matter as a foreign head of state he'd never be arrested.
same reason why he'll eventually be allowed to visit the site whether the
NYPD likes it or not.

Atomic wrote: What if he goes there and then uses the photo op. as a salute to the " Al-Quida" A$$holes who Hyjacked the Jets and makes them martyr's.[/quote/]

and what you think your fellow Americans are too stupid to figure out
what's going on on their own?
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

Nevada West
Postaholic

Post by Nevada West »

BigKahuna13 wrote:
millerm277 wrote:Let him visit, and freedom of speech applies to our visitors as well as our citizens. (As you already know, hate speech is not protected under the first amendment, so if he were to go off on one of those rants about Israel or the like, he could be arrested)./b]

since when?

and what exactly is "hate speech"?

as a practical matter as a foreign head of state he'd never be arrested.
same reason why he'll eventually be allowed to visit the site whether the
NYPD likes it or not.

Atomic wrote: What if he goes there and then uses the photo op. as a salute to the " Al-Quida" A$$holes who Hyjacked the Jets and makes them martyr's.[/quote/]

and what you think your fellow Americans are too stupid to figure out
what's going on on their own?

The photo op would not be aimed at our citizens, but Hamas, Hezbollah, and other proclaimed enemies of our Nation and our allies. Why allow them to mock us on hallowed ground to further their cause?