Speaking of Killington's Village Plans...

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Bubba
Site Admin

Speaking of Killington's Village Plans...

Post by Bubba »

Initial phase of process starts next week (1/9) when SP Land goes to the Planning Commission to initiate the PUD renewal process. PC meeting has been moved to the library to fit the expected throng of interested parties. I've heard Steve Selbo will be making a fairly lengthy presentation on the village plan. Ought to be interesting to see the response of the community and the PC members and the level of detail that the PC will require, including whether they insist on an independent economic impact study.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
RENO
Whipping Post

Re: Speaking of Killington's Village Plans...

Post by RENO »

Bubba wrote:Initial phase of process starts next week (1/9) when SP Land goes to the Planning Commission to initiate the PUD renewal process. PC meeting has been moved to the library to fit the expected throng of interested parties. I've heard Steve Selbo will be making a fairly lengthy presentation on the village plan. Ought to be interesting to see the response of the community and the PC members and the level of detail that the PC will require, including whether they insist on an independent economic impact study.
Are you going? You can represent KZone and hand out bumper stickers... :wink:
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

RENO wrote:
Bubba wrote:Initial phase of process starts next week (1/9) when SP Land goes to the Planning Commission to initiate the PUD renewal process. PC meeting has been moved to the library to fit the expected throng of interested parties. I've heard Steve Selbo will be making a fairly lengthy presentation on the village plan. Ought to be interesting to see the response of the community and the PC members and the level of detail that the PC will require, including whether they insist on an independent economic impact study.
Are you going? You can represent KZone and hand out bumper stickers... :wink:
The stickers will read:

As Powdr sows, so shall SP reap

or maybe:

How do you turn a silk purse into a sow's ear? Ask Powdr

or even:

Village? We don't need no stinkin' village!

And finally:

No village? The reason is the season

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Keithus
Slalom Racer

Post by Keithus »

Bubba is that a 7:00 or a 7:30 PC meeting?
I'd definitely like to come heckle.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Keithus wrote:Bubba is that a 7:00 or a 7:30 PC meeting?
I'd definitely like to come heckle.
Don't they always begin at 7:30?

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

kristenray
Green Skidder

Post by kristenray »

I dont understand. Are most Kzoners AGAINST the village? Its seems that way from some of the responses.

Personally, I think a village is the one thing that is MISSING from K. The only mtn on par with K IMO is Stowe and they have one going already. Flatton has a village and that mtn doesnt compare to what K has to offer.

The access road really needs a facelift.

I think once a village, EVERYONE in the Killington region will benefit.

So I ask, what is the opposition against a village. For property owners, retailers, restaurants and lodging, I thought they all would be FOR a village.
Grandmontes
Green Skidder

Post by Grandmontes »

If one were to attempt to build a European artificial type village , one best read "out of control" by Kevin Kelly.

The only way an artificial village will work is if all of the shops and bars are on the same page. The key to a village is people walking through the village and patronizing it's shops. More trafic will lead to more trafic. Less traffic will lead to less traffic. The village is it's own advertizing.

Americans are basically either too stupid and or too greedy to understand this.

By the looks of it. Nyberg's Village will be a bunch of Ghost shops selling $1000 Vases and package shops selling Beer for $8.00 a six pack and Wine for $20 a bottle.
laseranimal
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by laseranimal »

my problems with the village are:

1. I don't think building a village thats gonna add 5,000-10,000 beds and retail space makes ANY sense if you're going to continue to insist that skier visits aren't really that important. If you've got fewer customers, who's going to stay in the units or shop in the stores?

2. Given the amount of things that could be done at Killington that would make the skiing better, I'm not sure the village is at the top of the list.

although strangely enough I find myself agreeing with Geoff again, if SP land proposed something like 40-60 slopeside homes, and some small retail spaces I think that makes much more sense.

The access road IS Killington's village, its got more hotels, shops, and restaurants then ANY mountain in the northeast outside of Whiteface/Lake Placid, which really shouldn't count since they're really two separate entity's given the fact that Whiteface is actually 15-20 minutes away in Wilmington.

Although WF/LP is the model that SP Land/Powdr and the town of Killington should be looking at to follow. Through a symbiotic relationship they've managed to build a true four season community, and its benefited both the town and the mountain.
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.

John Muir
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

kristenray wrote:I dont understand. Are most Kzoners AGAINST the village? Its seems that way from some of the responses.

Personally, I think a village is the one thing that is MISSING from K. The only mtn on par with K IMO is Stowe and they have one going already. Flatton has a village and that mtn doesnt compare to what K has to offer.

So I ask, what is the opposition against a village. For property owners, retailers, restaurants and lodging, I thought they all would be FOR a village.
The reason the community here is turning quizzical about development is the issue of skier visits and the perception that business on the access road has turned downward as a result. KSRP has given the impression that they're improving their earnings at the expense of other businesses in the area and, if the perception is that they're robbing Peter to pay Paul, they shouldn't expect the support of Peter.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

kristenray wrote:I dont understand. Are most Kzoners AGAINST the village? Its seems that way from some of the responses.

You need to go back about 10 months of reading to understand all of this. The village and interconnect and such are fine, but the methods of POWDR vs zoners and residents at Killington seem to be at odds, like SCREW YOU. SP land hired POWDR (or merged?) to run the mountain and now SP is walking into the hornets nest. Better them than I as I am allergic to hornets.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
CAPBOY
Guru Poster

Post by CAPBOY »

CAPBOY
Guru Poster

Post by CAPBOY »

Well, don't expect them to get a construction loan. Not for a few years.
millerm277
Postaholic

Post by millerm277 »

kristenray wrote:Personally, I think a village is the one thing that is MISSING from K. The only mtn on par with K IMO is Stowe and they have one going already. Flatton has a village and that mtn doesnt compare to what K has to offer.
The access road IS a village. Hotels, motels and every type of business. People don't want to walk around outside in the winter anyway, and don't usually mind driving around a bit to explore the shops and such along the access road.
A village will only make it look worse, not better, as the village would likely put at least some of them out of business.
Unless POWDR makes a commitment to increasing skier visits to K's glory days and beyond, all a village gets them is more competition for the already declining numbers of customers.
Grandmontes
Green Skidder

Post by Grandmontes »

kristenray wrote:
I dont understand. Are most Kzoners AGAINST the village? Its seems that way from some of the responses.

No, the Village benefits skiers and Killington not existing property owners and businesses. More beds brings down the cost to skiers for a weekend due to increase in the supply of rentals. More skiers occuping existing rental property and new rental property , means Killington can sell more lift tickets.

This is a case where petty property owners will try to villify Killington to keep rental rates high so the value of their property stays high. Nyberg could be using the increase in prices as a bargaining chip. "I'll lower the pass prices and ticket prices back down, if you OK my Village." "Or, your condo's will remain empty on New Years Eve."

Maybe Nyberg isn't so dumb after all. :wink:
CAPBOY
Guru Poster

Post by CAPBOY »

Grandmontes wrote:kristenray wrote:

No, the Village benefits skiers and Killington not existing property owners and businesses. More beds brings down the cost to skiers for a weekend due to increase in the supply of rentals. More skiers occuping existing rental property and new rental property , means Killington can sell more lift tickets.

This is a case where petty property owners will try to villify Killington to keep rental rates high so the value of their property stays high. Nyberg could be using the increase in prices as a bargaining chip. "I'll lower the pass prices and ticket prices back down, if you OK my Village." "Or, your condo's will remain empty on New Years Eve."

Maybe Nyberg isn't so dumb after all. :wink:
Not an economist, are you.