driving on a full size spare tire?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Jim
Slalom Racer

driving on a full size spare tire?

Post by Jim »

i have a predicament. my friend invited me up to his house on okemo, but i have a flat and don't have time to get a new tire today. my question is, is it alright to drive 3 hours there and back on a full size spare? I'm just thinking the wheel is lighter than all the others, so it might throw off the alignment.
shortski
Site Admin

Re: driving on a full size spare tire?

Post by shortski »

Jim wrote:i have a predicament. my friend invited me up to his house on okemo, but i have a flat and don't have time to get a new tire today. my question is, is it alright to drive 3 hours there and back on a full size spare? I'm just thinking the wheel is lighter than all the others, so it might throw off the alignment.
Why take any chances, just go rent a car/SUV for the weekend. Weekend rates are pretty low. Did a quick check on Alamo 165 for Fri through Mon for SUV.
Last edited by shortski on Jan 18th, '08, 07:26, edited 1 time in total.
Cogito, ergo sum

Sometimes it is that simple.

ImageImage
pcgrantham
Poster Child Poster

Post by pcgrantham »

front or rear?
Talisman
Black Carver

Post by Talisman »

If your flat is from a simple puncture get three cans of fix a flat. Put two cans in the flat atire nd a can in ther car for just in case, top off the flat tire and hit the road.

Driving on the 'cheater' spare on the rear isn't too bad until there is ice or snow.
whiteout
Wanted Poster

Post by whiteout »

Talisman wrote:If your flat is from a simple puncture get three cans of fix a flat. Put two cans in the flat atire nd a can in ther car for just in case, top off the flat tire and hit the road.

Driving on the 'cheater' spare on the rear isn't too bad until there is ice or snow.
or get the flat "plugged" if possible. our local gas station did this for my wife's suv's flat tire in less than 15 minutes.
double the powder and shorten the fuse!
Talisman
Black Carver

Post by Talisman »

or get the flat "plugged" if possible. our local gas station did this for my wife's suv's flat tire in less than 15 minutes.[/quote]

Excellent point. If you have the flat off the car and in the trunk with a can of beer next to it for the guy he will be more than willing to help you out and may beat 15 minutes.
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

yeah, just swing by an STS or Mavis or whatever tire place, they'll have you out of there in 15 mins
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
SPORE
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by SPORE »

I don't see what the issue is if you have a full size spare tire...as in it is the same size as all the other tires on your car.
KBL Ed
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by KBL Ed »

If it is a full size spare, isn't it just... a regular tire? What would be the point of having a full size spare, if it wasn't the same as your regular tires???
Es war sehr schoen.
Over ten years... not including RSN or K-Chat. Way too much time wasted.
Smell you later.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

My full size spare is a matching tire and rim to the rest of my set...
ImageImageImageImage
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

You left out critical information to answer the question.

Is there a hot tub at your friends house? Is it slopeside? Is there beer/women/cable TV?
yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

Drive up, when you get there drop the rim at a Sears or NTB or some such. Pick up before you leave for home (check their hours first).
Thanks for the mammaries! (.)(.)
Stache
Poster Child Poster

Post by Stache »

Here is a SUPER site for considering running any tire other than the manufacturer's recommendation:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/tireinfo4calc.html

Anytime you have to run an odd size spare try to make sure it is not in a driving or stearing position.
yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

Swapped the donut in my Jeep for a full size spare 1 hour after leaving the lot (would have done it there but they wanted $155 for a rim that I got at Pep Boys for $20).

Add a cheapo Futura all season tire on sale at $40, $5 to mount/balance and wala: one driveable fullsize spare for under $70.

Not the best spare in the world, but beats the hell out of a donut any day.
Thanks for the mammaries! (.)(.)
b-5
Wanted Poster

Post by b-5 »

Drive fast, take chances!
just like skiing....