Another PC Thread

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Another PC Thread

Post by Dr. NO »

I hate f'n PC's, and then we put them in front of a machine control to really screw things up.

Dork, moved you over here to get out of the r*in thread (does he really filter that).

Dr. NO wrote:
Yo, Dork. I am workin in Brooklyn, 25th 3rd ave. I need a Ethernet card to fit a system about 4 years old. Any clue where I might find one? There is a staples down on 11th and 4th ave, but not sure they will have what I need.

May also need a driver card for a CD drive. F'n machine mfg has parts, but in Europe and can't deliver for 7 days, plus want 3 times the value. I hate working in NY. The drive to the island SUCKS.

Later.

if it's only 4 years old, they should definitely have one at Staples. Just get a cheap PCI NIC

Not sure what you mean by a "driver card"? Is it IDE? Is should just plug into one of the 2 IDE buses with a ribbon cable.

IDE? what is IDE?
The system is a GE Fanuc CNC with embedded PC. There are only 2 ports for the drives and the system cannot handle a 3rd drive like a PC can. They put an add on adapter into the system and then added the Ethernet card and this CD driver. If the CD driver card is installed the system can not find the C drive. Remove it and boom, up and running. If I cannot find a card, screw em, they can have the OEM replace it in the future. I just want to get the com port working, Ethernet, and get the hell out of Brooklyn.

If I have to go back next week, I'll definitely stay the night and stop in for a bit.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

IDE is the 40 pin ports that you plug the hard drives and CD-ROMS into.

You say they have 2 ports for the drives. It sounds like thats a normal setup (if they're the 40 pin IDE ports).

Do you have a ribbon cable with 3 interface on it (one that plugs into the IDE port on the motheboard, and 2 for devices)? If so, you should be able to hang the CD off the 2nd interface on that cable.

The problem you describe sounds to me like the CD is jumpered for MASTER, if the hard drive is already MASTER on that cable you'll need to change the jumper on the CD to SLAVE
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

SkiDork wrote:IDE is the 40 pin ports that you plug the hard drives and CD-ROMS into.

You say they have 2 ports for the drives. It sounds like thats a normal setup (if they're the 40 pin IDE ports).

Do you have a ribbon cable with 3 interface on it (one that plugs into the IDE port on the motheboard, and 2 for devices)? If so, you should be able to hang the CD off the 2nd interface on that cable.

The problem you describe sounds to me like the CD is jumpered for MASTER, if the hard drive is already MASTER on that cable you'll need to change the jumper on the CD to SLAVE
No ribbon cable and CD is a stand alone unit, far away from the hard drive. If it got changed, it must be magic as this system has been running for 4 years. Something happened and the CPU died on the PC side. AND, even with just the CD driver card in, I get the same results, it cannot find the hard drive.

Shut up and Ski!

SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

OK, sounds to me like the CD is a proprietary drive. The expansion card is causing some sort of IRQ conflict most likely.

What color are the expansion slots? White or Black?
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

SkiDork wrote:OK, sounds to me like the CD is a proprietary drive. The expansion card is causing some sort of IRQ conflict most likely.

What color are the expansion slots? White or Black?
Black, same as the hard drive. it has 2 cable ports.

Shut up and Ski!

SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

well, expansion ports are slots to put cards in, they normally don't have cable ports. You're probably talking about the expansion card that is plugged into the expansion slot, right?
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

SkiDork wrote:well, expansion ports are slots to put cards in, they normally don't have cable ports. You're probably talking about the expansion card that is plugged into the expansion slot, right?
YES. As far as I remember, the ports are black. They are for full sized expansion boards, not the halfs like my Dell has.

I was going to leave early and use my Cell phone for a meeting today, but I just bagged that idea. I'll leave here after 8 and stop at Staples for the Ethernet card and a keyboard (for troubleshooting) on my way in. Should be there around lunch time. My parts usually show up around 10:30 anyway.

Shut up and Ski!

SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

hang on a sec, if they're black you might be SOL on finding an ethernet card. The black slots are the old ISA bus, white is PCI. If you go to Staples make sure you look for an ISA card.
Bling Skier
Postinator

Post by Bling Skier »

PC, Eh?
I thought this was a thread on "Powder Cords".
silly me thinking it was ski related.
Geoff the sound a cat make as it coughs up a hairball.