I touched the Stanley Cup

Post here for sports discussions not related to skiing or riding
Slap Shot
Blue Chatterbox

I touched the Stanley Cup

Post by Slap Shot »

I guess that makes me a Stanley Cup groupie. I never was a friend of Stanley or his Cup, but I watch the playoffs whenever I can.

Yesterday (Sunday) night I went to an AHL game in Bridgeport and paid ten bucks (which goes to the Children's Glaucoma Foundation) to have my picture taken with the Stanley Cup. My buddies are in the pic too, and they are Ken Hodge, John Bucyk, Don Marcotte, and John McKenzie. Ok, so the dudes from the '72 Bruins Stanley Cup team aren't really my buddies, but they were for thirty seconds. They're a cool bunch of guys, and they seemed to have a great time posing with all the fans.

After the AHL game, the old timers had a game, and although McKenzie is 67, he can still skate pretty fast and he's got good hands. One time when he was stick handling by a defenseman, he rose his foot and kicked him in the stomach. Ha ha! Hey Flyers... take notes.

-- Slap Shot
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Hey Slap Shot, that's pretty cool 8) John McKenzie - wow, I think I saw him play in Chicago :shock:
DoubleD
Black Carver

Post by DoubleD »

Course now you have absolutely no prayer of ever winning the thing.
Slap Shot
Blue Chatterbox

Stanley

Post by Slap Shot »

Since I'm about eight leagues below the NHL, then the only chance I'll miss on winning it is if the NHL shuts down and that thing gets put in a lottery...

-- Slap Shot

... then I'll start looking for it on eBay.
DoubleD
Black Carver

Re: Stanley

Post by DoubleD »

Slap Shot wrote:Since I'm about eight leagues below the NHL, then the only chance I'll miss on winning it is if the NHL shuts down and that thing gets put in a lottery...

-- Slap Shot

... then I'll start looking for it on eBay.
Soooo not true. You could be 94 years old and made an honorary equipment manager for the Coyotes. They make it to the finals and lose cause you touched it.

I had a chance a couple years back. Got my picture taken with it, but touch it...no way Jose.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

HEY, I actually remember Hodges. Long time ago. Most impressive NHL player I have ever seen/met was Bobby Hull. He was at a Softball game in Toronto while I was at hockey camp up there. His freakin arms seemed bigger than his legs.

Pussy players now, with the Union and bull crap, all suck. The league doesn't attract enough attention to even consider the Union demands. All deserve to lose their jobs to some hungry rookies to get the games going again.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
MarieM
Post Office

Re: I touched the Stanley Cup

Post by MarieM »

Slap Shot wrote:I guess that makes me a Stanley Cup groupie. I never was a friend of Stanley or his Cup, but I watch the playoffs whenever I can.

Yesterday (Sunday) night I went to an AHL game in Bridgeport and paid ten bucks (which goes to the Children's Glaucoma Foundation) to have my picture taken with the Stanley Cup. My buddies are in the pic too, and they are Ken Hodge, John Bucyk, Don Marcotte, and John McKenzie. Ok, so the dudes from the '72 Bruins Stanley Cup team aren't really my buddies, but they were for thirty seconds. They're a cool bunch of guys, and they seemed to have a great time posing with all the fans.

After the AHL game, the old timers had a game, and although McKenzie is 67, he can still skate pretty fast and he's got good hands. One time when he was stick handling by a defenseman, he rose his foot and kicked him in the stomach. Ha ha! Hey Flyers... take notes.

-- Slap Shot
Those guys are my heros. I saw the Cup in city hall in Boston when those guys won it. Funniest thing...my dad took me to see a game and I spent most of the night hanging out in front of the dressing room because Sanderson was hurt and just hanging out. I did get his autograph! That was cool back in the day!
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Dr. NO wrote:HEY, I actually remember Hodges. Long time ago. Most impressive NHL player I have ever seen/met was Bobby Hull. He was at a Softball game in Toronto while I was at hockey camp up there. His freakin arms seemed bigger than his legs.

Pussy players now, with the Union and bull crap, all suck. The league doesn't attract enough attention to even consider the Union demands. All deserve to lose their jobs to some hungry rookies to get the games going again.
Holy mackeral, now, Bobby Hull I've seen play in Chicago many a time!!!!
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

MrsG wrote:
Dr. NO wrote:HEY, I actually remember Hodges. Long time ago. Most impressive NHL player I have ever seen/met was Bobby Hull. He was at a Softball game in Toronto while I was at hockey camp up there. His freakin arms seemed bigger than his legs.

Holy mackeral, now, Bobby Hull I've seen play in Chicago many a time!!!!
And don't forget Gordy Howe ! You must be gettin old mrsG. :wink: Not me thought ! :lol:
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?