Quickest to Killington from Long Island/NYC

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

jbar26
Green Skidder

Quickest to Killington from Long Island/NYC

Post by jbar26 »

I've tried 95-91 then been going thruway route exit 24 to Northway exit 20. Any suggestions to something faster?

Thanks
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Re: Quickest to Killington from Long Island/NYC

Post by tyrolean_skier »

jbar26 wrote:I've tried 95-91 then been going thruway route exit 24 to Northway exit 20. Any suggestions to something faster?

Thanks
Some people that do not have SUVs prefer to drive up the Taconic and then Route 7 I believe but I don't know if that is any faster because the speed limits are lower in some places. That skiadikt's preferred route so I will let him give you the details. We go through NJ to fill up on cheaper gas and then up the Thruway like you have done.
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

i've found 91S to exit 17 to the wilbur cross to the merrit to the hutchinson river pkwy to be the fastest route from K to LI
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
jbar26
Green Skidder

Post by jbar26 »

thanks guys.
richm20
Bumper

Post by richm20 »

Time of day has a lot to do with it.
If I leave LI on a Friday around 2pm ill do 95/91 or the NYSTW (almost the same trip time) but if its later and getting into rush hour, ill do 684/84/91. Now if its snowing, im the thruway, much better job keeping it clean.
ozzy

Post by ozzy »

richm20 wrote: Now if its snowing, im the thruway, much better job keeping it clean.
yep. took the NYS Thruway back from LI Sunday as the roads were starting to get slick by mid-morning. Unfortunately, there was a multi car accident south of exit 15 that wasted a good 30-45 minutes
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

In good weather, Hutchinson River Pkwy to 684 to 84 West to Taconic north to 295 east to 22 north to 7 east toward Bennington. Take 279, the Bennington bypass to 7 north to Rutland, then 4 east to Killington. If you can figure it out, there's a short bypass between 295 and 22 that cuts around Quechee Lake and cuts off another few miles.

In bad weather, stick to the interstate routes, either 87 north or 95/91.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
salesmanny
Green Skidder

Post by salesmanny »

I find that from the north shore of Long Island (just east of Huntington), the mileage and the time is pretty similar, whether I take the NYS Thruway or take the New England route via 95/91. However, as stated above, I definitely recommend that you try to avoid cities like New Haven on a Friday night any time near rush hour if you're driving the 95/91 route. The Wilbur Cross exit bypasses New Haven and brings you onto 91 around Meriden, which I find a good way to go. In bad weather, the NYS Thruway is often a much better way to go.

I skied a half day on Sunday and left early because my 15 year old daughter wanted to get home at a reasonable hour Sunday night. We took the New England route, and we got caught in a major traffic jam on 91 between exits 4 and 5 in Vermont. The roads weren't in good shape at that time, and there was a very bad accident just about 20 cars in front of me (I think there may have been a fatality). I sat in my car for over an hour without moving until the accident was cleared and the ambulance left the scene, after which time the police vehicles reopened the road. Then, south of Brattleboro, things backed up again due to road conditions and accidents. In retrospect, the NYS Thruway would definitely have been a better way for me to go home on Sunday, but of course I didn't know that at the time.

Regarding fuel prices: I usually stop in West Springfield, Mass and fill up there. I paid $1.779 for regular gas there on Sunday. From that stop, it's 130 miles to the Killington base lodge parking lot.

If I'm going to K at an off hour and the roads and clear, then the Taconic makes some sense, but if that road backs up, there's no way you can make any time on it. I usually don't go that route.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

salesmanny wrote:I find that from the north shore of Long Island (just east of Huntington), the mileage and the time is pretty similar, whether I take the NYS Thruway or take the New England route via 95/91. However, as stated above, I definitely recommend that you try to avoid cities like New Haven on a Friday night any time near rush hour if you're driving the 95/91 route. The Wilbur Cross exit bypasses New Haven and brings you onto 91 around Meriden, which I find a good way to go. In bad weather, the NYS Thruway is often a much better way to go.

I skied a half day on Sunday and left early because my 15 year old daughter wanted to get home at a reasonable hour Sunday night. We took the New England route, and we got caught in a major traffic jam on 91 between exits 4 and 5 in Vermont. The roads weren't in good shape at that time, and there was a very bad accident just about 20 cars in front of me (I think there may have been a fatality). I sat in my car for over an hour without moving until the accident was cleared and the ambulance left the scene, after which time the police vehicles reopened the road. Then, south of Brattleboro, things backed up again due to road conditions and accidents. In retrospect, the NYS Thruway would definitely have been a better way for me to go home on Sunday, but of course I didn't know that at the time.

Regarding fuel prices: I usually stop in West Springfield, Mass and fill up there. I paid $1.779 for regular gas there on Sunday. From that stop, it's 130 miles to the Killington base lodge parking lot.

If I'm going to K at an off hour and the roads and clear, then the Taconic makes some sense, but if that road backs up, there's no way you can make any time on it. I usually don't go that route.
taconic backs up? never. after a certain point we have the road all to ourselves which is why we like it and which unfortunately has resulted in a number of speeding tickets. we take the route bubba describes including the quechee lake shortcut. it cuts a bunch of miles off the thruway and we think it's faster.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
laseranimal

Post by laseranimal »

Good lord who would want to drive on the Taconic :-x

I've found when visiting family in CT that its a MUCH more enjoyable ride from Troy to go RT 7 to 787 to 87 to 84 to 684 to Merritt

now coming the OTHER way for all the non locals who would like to skip Hoosick Street in Troy as you're coming into Troy, take a left onto Oakwood Avenue, follow Oakwood until you hit Frear Park, take a right and drive though the park past the ice rink and golf course, at the top of the hill make a left turn onto North Lake, follow North Lake until you hit RT 142 and take a right, follow 142 out till you hit RT 7 at the top of the hill.

I've timed it its EASILY 15 minutes faster then waiting through all the lights on Hoosick

with bad traffic its sometimes 20-30 minutes
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.

John Muir
rockon
Bumper

Post by rockon »

i prefer the 95 > 91 route. yes, new haven can be a nightmare; but its not hard to navigate around. shady maple is at the corner of 103 and 7, so i take exit 6 from 91 and go right through ludlow into rutland. it takes a little over 4 hours door-to-door from manhasset if the roads are in good condition. also, i think 95 > 91 is maintained better when roads are bad.

i find it hard to believe that taking the taconic or 87 is as fast. i often drive that way to get to hullets landing in the summer (just north of whitehall off 22). on average it takes me four hours to get to whitehall; and whitehall is still a good distaince from killington. also, i would not want to be on the taconic in bad weather.

salesmanny: i must have been right in front of you when the traffic on 91 stopped; pacing around the road in a grey hoodie.
"If you've never seen an elephant ski, you've never been on acid."

SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

rockon wrote:i prefer the 95 > 91 route. yes, new haven can be a nightmare; but its not hard to navigate around. shady maple is at the corner of 103 and 7, so i take exit 6 from 91 and go right through ludlow into rutland. it takes a little over 4 hours door-to-door from manhasset if the roads are in good condition. also, i think 95 > 91 is maintained better when roads are bad.

i find it hard to believe that taking the taconic or 87 is as fast. i often drive that way to get to hullets landing in the summer (just north of whitehall off 22). on average it takes me four hours to get to whitehall; and whitehall is still a good distaince from killington. also, i would not want to be on the taconic in bad weather.

salesmanny: i must have been right in front of you when the traffic on 91 stopped; pacing around the road in a grey hoodie.
how long does it take you to get to exit 6 in VT?
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Whatever happened to flying a Gulfstream jet into W. Lebanon, NH and having your limo pick you up?
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
salesmanny
Green Skidder

Post by salesmanny »

SkiDork wrote:
rockon wrote:i prefer the 95 > 91 route. yes, new haven can be a nightmare; but its not hard to navigate around. shady maple is at the corner of 103 and 7, so i take exit 6 from 91 and go right through ludlow into rutland. it takes a little over 4 hours door-to-door from manhasset if the roads are in good condition. also, i think 95 > 91 is maintained better when roads are bad.

how long does it take you to get to exit 6 in VT?
I can leave from Centerport (I live 3 1/2 miles east of Huntington) and make it to Killington in about 5 1/2 hours total driving time, unless there's a traffic issue. I usually make it to exit 6 (route 103) in 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 hours from my home. Total driving distance to Killington from my house is about 295 miles, door to door. As I mentioned above, I usually stop in West Springfield for fuel (that distance is about 165 miles from my home), and then it's another 130 miles from there to the Killington parking lot, getting off at exit 6 and taking 103 to Ludlow, then taking 100 north to 4. My biggest problem is getting off Long Island. That's what takes the most time, especially on a Friday night. Once I'm north of the city and on the highway, as long as traffic isn't bad, I can usually make good time.

I cannot see making as good time on the Taconic, even if it is less miles. The Taconic is too narrow and winding, especially the road just north of the city and Westchester.

Dork, how do you normally go?
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
Some people that do not have SUVs prefer to drive up the Taconic and then Route 7 I believe but I don't know if that is any faster because the speed limits are lower in some places. That skiadikt's preferred route so I will let him give you the details. We go through NJ to fill up on cheaper gas and then up the Thruway like you have done.
I used to drive the Taconic in the suburban all the time.

The route Bubba laid out is the one I most often take. In bad weather usually go with the Thruway. If I'm really not in a rush i'll go
hutch-684-22-7.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre