FS: Kelty Expedition Kid Carrier Backpack

Buying or Selling Gear, Post Information Here
Ski-N-Sail
Wanted Poster

FS: Kelty Expedition Kid Carrier Backpack

Post by Ski-N-Sail »

This is a very lightly used kid carrier. I purchased it primarily to lug my son around boat shows. The thing is awesome, barely felt like my sone was there. I would say I used it 5 or 6 times tops. Below are some pictures. The only difference between the picture and the backpack I have is that mine is all blue with no pattern. I blieve I even have the hydration pack which was never used. Kelty doesn't make this model anymore, but it is esentially the same as the "Adventure" model which costs $270 on backcountry.com. I paid around $200 for it and will offer it for $125 to KZoners before I ebay it. I will be up at K on 2/26-2/27 for delivery. PM me if you are interested.

Here are the specs on it:
Get out and enjoy the great outdoors with your little ones safely supported in Keltys Expedition Kid Carrier.

Curved shoulder straps pair with a breathable mesh back panel to enhance your comfort. Keltys PoopDeck changing station adds on-the-go convenience. This handy carrier is compatible with other Kelty K.I.D.S. accessories.

Features include:
Soft padded harness
Adjustable lap belt
Sun/r*in hood
Zip-off kid pack
Foot stirrups
Folding, wide base aluminum kickstand
3600 reflective tape
3,675 cu. in. volume
9 lb., 4 oz. weight
Carrier is designed to accommodate children who are able to sit up and hold their head upright: generally from 6-8 months/17 lbs. to approximately 4 years/45 lbs
And here is the Backpacker magazine review:
The Expedition is the first child carrier we've used that's suited for extended backcountry trips. With its 3,675-cubic-inch cargo capacity and the same suspension features (sternum straps, load-lifter straps, adjustable torso length, and a substantial, padded hipbelt with lumbar straps) found on top-of-the-line backpacks, you can hit the trail without sacrificing hips and shoulders. Three editors, each with two-year-olds, tested the carrier on weekend to week-long trips, and all deemed it a vast improvement in comfort and capacity over others they've used.

The Expedition features a large compartment under the seat that holds a sleeping bag, food sack, and clothes. Compression straps and daisy chain loops let you attach a sleeping pad and/or tent. A smaller pouch above the main compartment holds water bottles, cookware, and a filter, plus it detaches and becomes a "playpack" with kid-size shoulder straps.

To hold your squirming toddler in place, there are plush, fleece-lined shoulder straps and an adjustable, secure harness system. Toy loops keep favorites at hand, and a sun/r*in/wind hood with tuck-away side panels guards against low branches, ultraviolet rays, and unpleasant weather.

Two things to watch for, though. The lightweight zipper attaching the playpack to the carrier started unzipping when the playpack was heavily loaded—not so much that the pack disengaged, but enough to create a bit of a jiggle. Also, the foot stirrups are a nice comfort feature for the child, but aren't big enough for hiking or snow boots.

The consensus: Now you can take a toddler on serious backpacking trips without pawning gear off on other people or rigging your child carrier to look like a prop from a traveling carnival.

Price: $250

Weight (BP): 7 lbs. 10 oz.
Last edited by Ski-N-Sail on Feb 16th, '05, 08:28, edited 1 time in total.
Ski-N-Sail
Wanted Poster

Post by Ski-N-Sail »

I almost forgot....I can take pictures of the actual carrier that I have if you have any interest.