RIP CR Johnson

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

rockon
Bumper

RIP CR Johnson

Post by rockon »

After surviving a terrible crash a few years ago ...
"If you've never seen an elephant ski, you've never been on acid."

SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Re: RIP CR Johnson

Post by SnoBrdr »

rockon wrote:After surviving a terrible crash a few years ago ...
Who?
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
panelman01
Bumper

Post by panelman01 »

According to sources close to skier C.R. Johnson, the 26-year-old Lake Tahoe native was killed today while skiing at Squaw Valley, Calif. He reportedly hit rocks while skiing the Light Towers section of the resort's famed Headwall.

Johnson, who suffered a traumatic brain injury in a ski accident in 2005, had made slow and steady progress over the past few winters and was reportedly skiing strongly this year.

We will continue to update this story as more details become available.
Going where the wind don't blow so strange. Maybe on some high cold mountain range.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

panelman01 wrote:According to sources close to skier C.R. Johnson, the 26-year-old Lake Tahoe native was killed today while skiing at Squaw Valley, Calif. He reportedly hit rocks while skiing the Light Towers section of the resort's famed Headwall.

Johnson, who suffered a traumatic brain injury in a ski accident in 2005, had made slow and steady progress over the past few winters and was reportedly skiing strongly this year.

We will continue to update this story as more details become available.
Wow. did not know this.

Thanks for the info.
panelman01
Bumper

Post by panelman01 »

sadder than sh*t.... this kid was a natural skier.... the kid had
mountain in his blood.... and 26 is way way too young.... If any of
us had 1/10 of what he saw.... what he experienced....

RIP CR !
Going where the wind don't blow so strange. Maybe on some high cold mountain range.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

RIP C.R. :sad:
tellitlikeitis
Bumper

Post by tellitlikeitis »

met and skied with the kid in the summers of 06 and 07 at whistler .....he was just starting to grow up but was still a cowboy and struck me as pretty immature but probably typical of your average supertalented jibber at the time during those crazy summers where the jibbing was really taking off.... the consequences of the freestyle jib movement is one of the biggest coverups going all under the guise of progressing the sport....when he got hurt the jump he was doing was an irresponsible stunt with another youngster whose father died skiing... quite ironic....it has become such an industry that it is no surprise the consequences get surpressed or not given more scrutiny.. it is somewhat less appreciated on the east coast as the real pushing of the limits is on the west coast and where the real snow is, but the pushing of the limits, and it's romanticizing over by the industry is really a shame ...and quite pathetic...we all love skiing, but what these guys do is on a level that no one who is a regular person can appreciate.. nor would they want to...it is not smart....these guys don't die skiing powder...they die pushing the limits of what can and should be done.....the deaths, and more so the injuries that result from what is being done now and for the past 5 years in jibbing is a disgrace... people are free to do what they want, but tell the truth about the consequences and don't glamorize something that is very dangerous....i wonder if trevor would say it was worth it....doug.....marc andre.....all the people who have really hurt themselves.. and i mean really hurt themsleves... not just broken some bones as i have skiing....
at least the kid didn't leave anyone high and dry who was depending on him... he hurt his family, but unlike that donkey shane mconkey, he didn't stiff a wife and kids....if cr could talk, i wonder if he would say , right now, it was all worth it....the joy and rush that he got from skiing those monster lines and unreal airs only to die at age 26... or would it have been better to tone it down, ski some good lines with your kids and get the rush that way.... i don't know.. not for me to judge but i can't help but wonder

http://freeskier.com/

listen to the cluelessness of the kid in this post kye peterson crash interview for the seven sunny days film

yeah ,i know , i'm an ass ... i'm judgemental and i don't know what i'm talking about... whatever.... spare me :roll:
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

tellitlikeitis wrote:met and skied with the kid in the summers of 06 and 07 at whistler .....he was just starting to grow up but was still a cowboy and struck me as pretty immature but probably typical of your average supertalented jibber at the time during those crazy summers where the jibbing was really taking off.... the consequences of the freestyle jib movement is one of the biggest coverups going all under the guise of progressing the sport....when he got hurt the jump he was doing was an irresponsible stunt with another youngster whose father died skiing... quite ironic....it has become such an industry that it is no surprise the consequences get surpressed or not given more scrutiny.. it is somewhat less appreciated on the east coast as the real pushing of the limits is on the west coast and where the real snow is, but the pushing of the limits, and it's romanticizing over by the industry is really a shame ...and quite pathetic...we all love skiing, but what these guys do is on a level that no one who is a regular person can appreciate.. nor would they want to...it is not smart....these guys don't die skiing powder...they die pushing the limits of what can and should be done.....the deaths, and more so the injuries that result from what is being done now and for the past 5 years in jibbing is a disgrace... people are free to do what they want, but tell the truth about the consequences and don't glamorize something that is very dangerous....i wonder if trevor would say it was worth it....doug.....marc andre.....all the people who have really hurt themselves.. and i mean really hurt themsleves... not just broken some bones as i have skiing....
at least the kid didn't leave anyone high and dry who was depending on him... he hurt his family, but unlike that donkey shane mconkey, he didn't stiff a wife and kids....if cr could talk, i wonder if he would say , right now, it was all worth it....the joy and rush that he got from skiing those monster lines and unreal airs only to die at age 26... or would it have been better to tone it down, ski some good lines with your kids and get the rush that way.... i don't know.. not for me to judge but i can't help but wonder

listen to the cluelessness of the kid in this post kye peterson crash interview for the seven sunny days film

yeah ,i know , i'm an ass ... i'm judgemental and i don't know what i'm talking about... whatever.... spare me :roll:
Seems like you got it all down pretty well.
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

interesting post telly. Thanks for your insight. Lets all try to be safe out there.
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
NJsurfer30
Beginner On Rentals

Post by NJsurfer30 »

f*ck, that sucks. RIP :sad:
tt431
Post Office

Post by tt431 »

SkiDork wrote:interesting post telly. Thanks for your insight. Lets all try to be safe out there.
I agree, some kids need to take notes and refocus on what's really important in their lives. Having said that, I still love this sh*t. RIP.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

tellitlikeitis wrote:met and skied with the kid in the summers of 06 and 07 at whistler .....he was just starting to grow up but was still a cowboy and struck me as pretty immature but probably typical of your average supertalented jibber at the time during those crazy summers where the jibbing was really taking off.... the consequences of the freestyle jib movement is one of the biggest coverups going all under the guise of progressing the sport....when he got hurt the jump he was doing was an irresponsible stunt with another youngster whose father died skiing... quite ironic....it has become such an industry that it is no surprise the consequences get surpressed or not given more scrutiny.. it is somewhat less appreciated on the east coast as the real pushing of the limits is on the west coast and where the real snow is, but the pushing of the limits, and it's romanticizing over by the industry is really a shame ...and quite pathetic...we all love skiing, but what these guys do is on a level that no one who is a regular person can appreciate.. nor would they want to...it is not smart....these guys don't die skiing powder...they die pushing the limits of what can and should be done.....the deaths, and more so the injuries that result from what is being done now and for the past 5 years in jibbing is a disgrace... people are free to do what they want, but tell the truth about the consequences and don't glamorize something that is very dangerous....i wonder if trevor would say it was worth it....doug.....marc andre.....all the people who have really hurt themselves.. and i mean really hurt themsleves... not just broken some bones as i have skiing....

I have similar feelings both about my skiing and the skiing I watch in movies. Its some cool looking sh*t, but I have no desire to hurt myself...
ImageImageImageImage
panelman01
Bumper

Post by panelman01 »

Considering the sadness of the situation.... I struggle with the
tone of your email. I hear what you have to say; again, it is just
the tone I struggle with.

.. and I'm not sure I am fully on board with your terms like "donkey"
and the general bashing of the industry.
Does the ski industry force skiers to do what they do, or do many
skiers have a certain amount of George Mallory in them - "Because
it is there."? Just a thought to consider.

and PS - in the video you refer to, CR answered your question
and shows you his mindset - "the joy I get from skiing, that's worth
dying for..."
panelman01
Bumper

Post by panelman01 »

Sorry... My last post should have used the "quote" format to Telli's post...
umby
Blue Chatterbox

Post by umby »

no matter if you agree or disagree with the way CR Johnson lived his life what happened was tragic. I can't imagine what his friends and family are going through right now.