Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

madhatter
Signature Poster

Re: Damage at K

Post by madhatter »

Geoff wrote:
Bubba wrote:
madhatter wrote: Having met you once in the past I know you really aren;t the know it all dick you come off as here.
"Know it all dick" is Geoff's on-line personna. In person, he's just strongly opinionated. :mrgreen:
With the caveat that I always offer up what I know as fact and what I don't know and is conjecture or opinion. That's what Engineers do. I'm paid a lot of money to be able to recognise the difference.

so we can take it as FACT that 4 will be paved woodstock to rutland by oct 1? How much coin ya wanna lay on that?
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

madhatter wrote:
Geoff wrote:
Bubba wrote:
madhatter wrote: Having met you once in the past I know you really aren;t the know it all dick you come off as here.
"Know it all dick" is Geoff's on-line personna. In person, he's just strongly opinionated. :mrgreen:
With the caveat that I always offer up what I know as fact and what I don't know and is conjecture or opinion. That's what Engineers do. I'm paid a lot of money to be able to recognise the difference.

so we can take it as FACT that 4 will be paved woodstock to rutland by oct 1? How much coin ya wanna lay on that?
The traditional bet is a 750 ml of Wild Turkey 101.
Finn
Postaholic

Post by Finn »

Everyone remains optimistic that road work will get done quickly. It's r*ining today in the flatlands. What about K town? We had the big floods down here in march 2009,so we can relate to road closings, flooding etc.
Sending good vibes to all those they had damage and flooding.

Many thanks to all those that sent pictures of the damage. We are looking forward to seeing the recovery.

Take care.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Geoff wrote: The traditional bet is a 750 ml of Wild Turkey 101.
Make sure you ask for a glass bottle.
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

Mister Moose wrote:
...and keep Mister Moose away from it

skidogg
Poster Child Poster

Post by skidogg »

that bottle seems to have a growth of some kind on it
fast is cool.
Faster is cooler. bring back the dis
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

skidogg wrote:that bottle seems to have a growth of some kind on it
It is "with child". After all, alcohol is the leading cause of pregnancy.
Katyski2
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Katyski2 »

jimmywilson69 wrote:
Geoff wrote:
CAPBOY wrote:
madhatter wrote:one would expect that in order to facilitate two way traffic some of those "gaps" on 4 will be temporarily bridged ( maybe with surplus bailey bridges?) Just
I'm not sure why a detour/Shift can't be made to the south. Would involve losing some trees and encroaching on the property (if its privte).
None of this makes any sense. There are no bridges out on Route 4. This is a job for big yellow excavators, bulldozers & graders, steam rollers, and dump trucks hauling rock & gravel.

I'm now thinking Route 4 will be opened end-to-end with a hot top surface by October 1. There is _A LOT_ of equipment working on the road. There might not be a climbing lane in Mendon this winter but the road will be open and in pretty good shape.

I agree with Geoff on this. while there is no question that the erosion in Mendon or out towards Shortski' house is severe; convoy's of dump trucks with fill and bull dozers will repair that very quickly.

As a civil engineer who primarily works in the transportation industry, I feel they will repair and have these roads open for ski season for sure, and they will likely have them open for the end of leaf season (oct 1) as geoff said.
I can say this, My sister has a friend who just graduated with a Civil Engineering Degree and couldn't find a job in VT. She ended up moving home to upstate NY to save money. She got a call from the City of Rutland the day after the storm asking her if she could start the next day. They are even paying to put her up in a hotel right now. So they are very motiviated to get these roads fixed ASAP!
johnny the jibber
Level 10K poster

Post by johnny the jibber »

i was just up at KBL helping out with a quick project, its a mess up there. minor washout to the access rd in spots from snowshed/ramshead all the way up. cascade runout is shot, its gonna take alot of fill to repair it. the side of the base lodge that collapsed is falling in on both sides and there were crews up there tearing it down. there is also a small section of washout on top of the stairs leading into the basement, just under the bar that faces the canyon trails.
Last edited by johnny the jibber on Sep 7th, '11, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.
he would shove your ass so far up your ass and stuff! -thejet61 10/2/09

If a snowboarder is in front of me or to the side I assume the slobbering moron will cut from one side of the trail to the other -GSKI 1/17/12
Terrapin Station
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Terrapin Station »

From the Burlington Free Press:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/inte ... brella%7C2

An Irene narrative: Journey through devastation in Vermont

TweetEmailPrintShare
Del.icio.us
Digg
Reddit
Newsvine
FarkIt
One week ago, Tropical Storm Irene triggered the worst natural disaster in Vermont since 1927. At least three people drowned, and two are missing; hundreds of homes were damaged or destroyed; the state's road system was broken in so many places they have not yet been counted.

Across southern and central Vermont, small neighborhoods and some entire towns were cut off from the outside world for two or three days, without electricity or telephones, with dwindling supplies of food and water.

As the state, towns and utilities worked to understand and respond to the crisis, neighbors rallied, communities pulled together to help flood victims, and individuals banded together to begin the recovery while still numb with shock.

Free Press reporters and photographers fanned out throughout Vermont. These are scenes from the first week of what might well be the storm of a century that still has 90 years to go.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

I finally downloaded a bunch of pics I took in Killington starting on Sunday afternoon after the storm began to subside through Tuesday early afternoon as repairs were underway. Many are similar to what has been seen before from others but there may be a few that show things from a different angle or give you a different perspective.

http://news.webshots.com/album/580839362qWUxiw
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
K Ski Patroler
Black Carver

Post by K Ski Patroler »

Nice pics :-)
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Geoff wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:
...and keep Mister Moose away from it

Looks like the NH Liquor store at the Portsmouth traffic circle.

Does anybody know if the foundation work for the peak lodge will still be done this construction season or has it been put on hold?
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

Big Bob wrote:Does anybody know if the foundation work for the peak lodge will still be done this construction season or has it been put on hold?
I'd have to guess that even if it was scheduled for this year, that given the circumstances, it will be pushed back till next year. It's safe to say there are *many* other more important projects in the area.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
Finn
Postaholic

Post by Finn »

Bubba,
thanks for the awesome photos.
In picture #15, the house on River Road belongs to Skiddy who is an awesome person. He works at Lookout.
He has been around in K along time.

As I said before, I a so sad that the storm caused havoc in Vermont. i Thanks to all those they are helping to re-build the roads-you know who you are.

See you in October, I hope.