Damage at K

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skilab
Blue Chatterbox

Re: Damage at K

Post by skilab »

I have a friend who is stuck at her house off river road. Anyone know if anything is left of that road or the condition of the town offices / pool etc...? Not sure what she's going to be hiking down to?
TheLurker
Bumper

Post by TheLurker »

Berkshiregal wrote:I'm in a state of absolutely shock and dismay. Does anyone know if the power is still out up there? I was hoping to get up and check on the house tomorrow or Wed., but it doesn't look like I'll even be able to get there. Wonder if it's still standing. :bang
I don't believe there is any way in or out of Killington at this time.

From Vermont Today:
In Killington, there is no way in and no way out. Route 4 both ways is missing chunks of road deeming them impassable and Route 100 north of the Route 4 intersection has also washed away. Town Manager Kathleen Ramsay said she is coordinating volunteers to help people stranded. When I asked her what's going to happen in case of an emergency, the phone went silent. "I don't know," she said.
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

All I can say after viewing these pics is F*CKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!! What a f'n mess. So sorry to see Shortski's house get destroyed like that. Glad he's ok. We were planning on heading up this coming weekend also. Definitely doesn't look like there's any way to get there. Can't believe all the damage up there?! Hope our condo is ok. Still waiting to hear back on that...
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

RENO wrote:All I can say after viewing these pics is F*CKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!! What a f'n mess. So sorry to see Shortski's house get destroyed like that. Glad he's ok. We were planning on heading up this coming weekend also. Definitely doesn't look like there's any way to get there. Can't believe all the damage up there?! Hope our condo is ok. Still waiting to hear back on that...
can't reach anyone up there so far...
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
Marc Shepherd
Black Carver

Post by Marc Shepherd »

Did Killington Resort itself suffer any damage besides the KBL?
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

the entire area from K to MRG is largely destroyed, we did damage survey and checked on friends via ATV between bethel and pittsfield. 1/2 mile or better sections of roadway missing everywhere, mudslides, many many bridges out miles of powerlines down or gone completely. Everyone in this area is isolated from any services. Assisted power co personnel on dirtbikes find their way through the woods to skirt impassable areas. FEMA copters flying overhead as well. It will be a while before anyone around here can even go anywhere besides out to look at damage and check on friends. We are off to get clean drinking water and supplies to some less fortunate neighbors.
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
skiersleft
Powderhound

Post by skiersleft »

Berkshiregal wrote:I'm in a state of absolutely shock and dismay. Does anyone know if the power is still out up there? I was hoping to get up and check on the house tomorrow or Wed., but it doesn't look like I'll even be able to get there. Wonder if it's still standing. :bang

Just called a friend who lives next to the Grist Mill and he reports that there is no power where he's at. No way in and out of Killington. Access road businesses seem to be in relatively good shape. Reports are that Long Trail Brewery is flooded but still standing.
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

MeOnSkis
Green Skidder

Post by MeOnSkis »

wow so we're gonna be missing the peak lodge and base lodge this season? :-x
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

Geoff wrote:Image

where is that?
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

wowzers!

Geoff, any word from Glazebrook?
Geoff wrote:Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
TheLurker
Bumper

Post by TheLurker »

Route 4/100 North of Gondala before hill heading to 100 split I think.
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

yup. Goodros and Kokopelli visible

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
TheLurker
Bumper

Post by TheLurker »

K posted on Facebook that they are evaluating damage to the resort. They made it sound like they would be open for mountain biking soon. They're lost if they think they can open for business when the surrounding communities are devastated.

Killington Resort and the surrounding communities have suffered flood damage from Tropical Storm Irene.

Crews are out assessing damages around the resort including structural deterioration to base lodges, lifts and roads as well as power outages.

Following an initial overview of the storm's aftermath, the K-1 Lodge Superstar Pub's structural integrity was compromised by the volume of water running off of Roaring Brook, dislodging the building from its foundation. Killington Resort's lift towers and structures, lodging properties and Golf Course have sustained minimal damage.

Summer operations of the K-1 Lodge, hiking and Golf Course will reopen after crews assess the damages. Mountain biking will tentatively resume after assessment of the trail network is complete. Pico Mountain summer operations are now closed for the season.

Killington Resort plans to open on schedule for the 2011-12 winter season.

As power and phone service are re-established at Killington Resort, more updates will be forthcoming.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

skilab wrote:Unbelievable. Does anyone know the conditions of the roads and if it is even possible to get to K today? from some of the photos I've seen online it look like rt 4 is washed out from Rutland and Woodstock.

From someone who is up there, she told me, maybe a month.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.