FEMA

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Bubba
Site Admin

Re: FEMA

Post by Bubba »

rubigirl wrote:Jersey has always been a lib. As for Paul he is still responsible for a tremendous amount of property in the area and so, I do not see why he would make stuff up. The Federal Disaster Declaration spontaneously puts FEMA in command on September 1st. Craig A. Gilbert has been named as the Federal Coordinating Officer for Federal recovery operations in the affected area. Gilbert said that damage surveys are continuing in other areas, and additional counties may be designated for assistance after the assessments are fully completed.
Judging by the following quote you seem to be saying FEMA has had (i.e. past tense) a stranglehold on Killington even though they just came in yesterday. Well, are you saying they've been here since the beginning and had a stranglehold on Killington thus impeding progress toward recovery, but at the same time they just got here through the Disaster Declaration yesterday? Once again, your logic (or illogic as the case may be) eludes me.
Even as things get better FEMA refuses to release its stranglehold on Killington.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
rubigirl
Blue Chatterbox

Post by rubigirl »

Bubba wrote:
rubigirl wrote:Jersey has always been a lib. As for Paul he is still responsible for a tremendous amount of property in the area and so, I do not see why he would make stuff up. The Federal Disaster Declaration spontaneously puts FEMA in command on September 1st. Craig A. Gilbert has been named as the Federal Coordinating Officer for Federal recovery operations in the affected area. Gilbert said that damage surveys are continuing in other areas, and additional counties may be designated for assistance after the assessments are fully completed.
Judging by the following quote you seem to be saying FEMA has had (i.e. past tense) a stranglehold on Killington even though they just came in yesterday. Well, are you saying they've been here since the beginning and had a stranglehold on Killington thus impeding progress toward recovery, but at the same time they just got here through the Disaster Declaration yesterday? Once again, your logic (or illogic as the case may be) eludes me.
Even as things get better FEMA refuses to release its stranglehold on Killington.
I did not say they just got here but yes they did just gain official control. Apparently when they first arrived they had pseudo control being that they are from Washington and all that crap. They then backed off a bit a due to some confusion on Wednesday until they got official control on Thursday following which they started throwing their weight around again. I think they thought they would be in official control when they arrived only to find out they were not yet.
JerseyGuy
Postinator

Post by JerseyGuy »

rubigirl wrote:I did not say they just got here but yes they did just gain official control. Apparently when they first arrived they had pseudo control being that they are from Washington and all that crap. They then backed off a bit a due to some confusion on Wednesday until they got official control on Thursday following which they started throwing their weight around again. I think they thought they would be in official control when they arrived only to find out they were not yet.
Hey, rubigirl... has FEMA declared your neocortex a disaster zone? How much taxpayer cash can you get for that?

"Default on aug 3rd just like clown lips said."
-- Racist Maddie, finally revealing himself as the hateful racist that he really is

"The rest of your post is something my pathetic little mind can't even remotely fathom."
-- Racist Maddie: uncut, uncensored, unedited and unhinged

"when is JG gonna figure out that since i OWN HIM, there is no need to respond to him"
-- tellitlikeheiwishesitwas, stumbling into a new way to handle being publicly called out for lying: a clumsy duck and weave with a dollop of self-delusion

"blah blah Okemo is awesome blah"
-- SkippyShill, in an accidental moment of misplaced clarity

"Go f*** yourself."
-- StreetSkippy, who be hatin' on tha haters
rubigirl
Blue Chatterbox

Post by rubigirl »

So you saying that people should just abort buying insurance and just let the government pay for everything that does not go perfectly in life? No need to plan or save just let big brother come in and fix everything right?

Read SS's post about how FEMA is working our for him and then go tell him what you just told me.
JerseyGuy
Postinator

Post by JerseyGuy »

rubigirl wrote:So you saying that people should just abort buying insurance and just let the government pay for everything that does not go perfectly in life? No need to plan or save just let big brother come in and fix everything right?

Read SS's post about how FEMA is working our for him and then go tell him what you just told me.
You still haven't answered my question. What if private flood insurance isn't available in a given area, as is the case across America?

Never mind... we already know the answer. They're sh*t out of luck. Thanks for playing.
-- Racist Maddie, finally revealing himself as the hateful racist that he really is

"The rest of your post is something my pathetic little mind can't even remotely fathom."

"when is JG gonna figure out that since i OWN HIM, there is no need to respond to him"
-- tellitlikeheiwishesitwas, stumbling into a new way to handle being publicly called out for lying: a clumsy duck and weave with a dollop of self-delusion

"Go f*** yourself."
rubigirl
Blue Chatterbox

Post by rubigirl »

The reason insurers do not provide flood insurance is because flooding typically occurs in just a few areas. As a result, it is hard to sell it to many people making it impossible to spread the risk around. But that said, the people who typically need it know it and nevertheless they choose to build in these high risk areas anyway. So you see that that the mere existence of federal flood insurance program only serves to promote more bad behavior.
JerseyGuy
Postinator

Post by JerseyGuy »

rubigirl wrote:The reason insurers do not provide flood insurance is because flooding typically occurs in just a few areas. As a result, it is hard to sell it to many people making it impossible to spread the risk around. But that said, the people who typically need it know it and nevertheless they choose to build in these high risk areas anyway. So you see that that the mere existence of federal flood insurance program only serves to promote more bad behavior.
Duh. Thanks for the explanation of how flood insurance works, numbnuts.

So when will you and your family and friends be leaving Vermont? Rebuilding in a what is clearly a flood-prone area would be nothing but "bad behavior", as you've already stated.

Will be you pulling yourself away from your computer long enough to go tell your neighbors to stop behaving so badly and to get the hell out of Vermont?

Or is that kind of rhetoric something we'll only hear from your online persona?

"Go f*** yourself."
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

rubigirl wrote:So you saying that people should just abort buying insurance and just let the government pay for everything that does not go perfectly in life? No need to plan or save just let big brother come in and fix everything right?

Some of this bears fruit. Around here anyone who OWNS a private rd or long vt driveway was out all weekend clearing culverts, scratching in drainage etc. in order to save their property. Others who live on road s that differ from ours only in that they are town maintained largely ignored minor flooding until it was beyond the scope of a pickaxe and hoe. Had we not take our tractor and hand tools around our property to do the above we would have suffered major losses to roadways ( on our dime). In one place we have a one foot dia culvert that drains a "trickle" nearly all year. it was washing over our road at mid storm being fed by a torrent of water 8-10 ft wide and 4 ft deep. Enough to knock you flat instantly if you got in its way. Every ski and atv trail on our property was flowing six + inches of fast moving water down hill and into the "trickle". As mentioned in other posts private contractors mobilized themselves minute one. They, like us understood the magnitude of what was coming and took preventative action. There is no rule that says you can;t unclog the public culvert or storm drain in front of your house. But if ma gov is supposed to so it people say " not mine its the towns" We met and helped out a lot of real good peopel who were quite thankful for our assistance over this past week. We've also met a lot of clueless wonders as well. RANT OFF ( its been a long trying week for everyone I'm sure)
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

JerseyGuy wrote:

You still haven't answered my question. What if private flood insurance isn't available in a given area, as is the case across America?

Never mind... we already know the answer. They're sh*t out of luck. Thanks for playing.
Blatantly incorrect you can get underwritten for flood insurance for a submarine if you are willing to pay the premium, JG your slipping, you often call people on blanket statements. Is our newest self sufficient taxpayer rattl'n the chains in the night putting the fear of self reliance and people helping people forecasting the demise of big brother.. (rhetorical)
JerseyGuy
Postinator

Post by JerseyGuy »

shortski wrote:
JerseyGuy wrote:

Blatantly incorrect you can get underwritten for flood insurance for a submarine if you are willing to pay the premium, JG your slipping, you often call people on blanket statements. Is our newest self sufficient taxpayer rattl'n the chains in the night putting the fear of self reliance and people helping people forecasting the demise of big brother.. (rhetorical)
Sorry, but you're completely wrong on this one, SS. There are areas where private flood insurance is most definitely NOT available. And we're not even talking about the prohibitively high cost of private flood insurance in other areas.

"Go f*** yourself."
rubigirl
Blue Chatterbox

Post by rubigirl »

My grandfather came to this area without little money and good work ethic. He started a small general store where he butched his own meets and made himself a life. He never asked the state for anything. And when my grand mother needed surgery he paid that doctor who did in cash that he had saved. Of course that was back when you could actually save money without worrying about the needs of those who favor nanny state and the great society debasing it faster than you could save it. You also seen to forget Jersey Guy that the house is often worth only 50% of the value of the entire property sometimes even less than that so self-insuring up here and pulling some friends together to help rebuild is actually a reality.
JerseyGuy
Postinator

Post by JerseyGuy »

rubigirl wrote:My grandfather came to this area without little money and good work ethic. He started a small general store where he butched his own meets and made himself a life. He never asked the state for anything. And when my grand mother needed surgery he paid that doctor who did in cash that he had saved. Of course that was back when you could actually save money without worrying about the needs of those who favor nanny state and the great society debasing it faster than you could save it. You also seen to forget Jersey Guy that the house is often worth only 50% of the value of the entire property sometimes even less than that so self-insuring up here and pulling some friends together to help rebuild is actually a reality.
That's a wonderful story -- honest, no sarcasm -- but it doesn't address the issue at hand: private flood insurance is NOT available everywhere.

"Go f*** yourself."
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

JerseyGuy wrote:
rubigirl wrote:My grandfather came to this area without little money and good work ethic. He started a small general store where he butched his own meets and made himself a life. He never asked the state for anything. And when my grand mother needed surgery he paid that doctor who did in cash that he had saved. Of course that was back when you could actually save money without worrying about the needs of those who favor nanny state and the great society debasing it faster than you could save it. You also seen to forget Jersey Guy that the house is often worth only 50% of the value of the entire property sometimes even less than that so self-insuring up here and pulling some friends together to help rebuild is actually a reality.
That's a wonderful story -- honest, no sarcasm -- but it doesn't address the issue at hand: private flood insurance is NOT available everywhere.
ANYTHING is available for the right price. If it exists, it can be bought at some price. Whether you can afford it or not is another thing . In my opinion if you get a gov payout for total loss for flood damage it should be a buyout and condemned. ie you cannot rebuild there ( one person in town has told me that is likely to happen to him this time, not sure if that is the case, just what he said specifically to me)
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
JerseyGuy
Postinator

Post by JerseyGuy »

madhatter wrote:In my opinion if you get a gov payout for total loss for flood damage it should be a buyout and condemned. ie you cannot rebuild there ( one person in town has told me that is likely to happen to him this time, not sure if that is the case, just what he said specifically to me)
I've always been fascinated by that suggestion. As opinionated as I am on just about everything, I'm not sure where I stand on that one. I can see the merits of both sides -- rebuilding vs. condemnation.

"Go f*** yourself."
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

While you probably can purchase most any insurance you want for the right price, according to the local providers, Killington area is not considered a flood risk and did not offer or provide this. It was posted from an article on the Chat page.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32751
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?